Future of Canada's Airline Industry

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

dumbbell daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Future of Canada's Airline Industry

Post by dumbbell daddy »

I can contribute. I worked at one of the big five banks for almost 4 years. I worked as a financial service manager opening accounts, referring shitty investments, starting loan applications ect. Even though I wasn't making financial planner or wealth manager money, the bank was always riding my ass to sell sell sell, and meet my referral and application targets.

I think Canadian airline pay is shit; even at AC. I think some of us get a little delusional in aviation and forget how hard regular educated people have to work to earn even $65K. Even if I hated flying I would still continue. Most 705 airlines in Canada work half the month or less. Aviation requires minimal education. With average career choices it's not that hard to crack $100K. The best part of the job is when you set the parking brake...you're done. Go home and watch hockey ect.
---------- ADS -----------

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

dumbbell daddy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:06 am I can contribute. I worked at one of the big five banks for almost 4 years. I worked as a financial service manager opening accounts, referring shitty investments, starting loan applications ect. Even though I wasn't making financial planner or wealth manager money, the bank was always riding my ass to sell sell sell, and meet my referral and application targets.

I think Canadian airline pay is shit; even at AC. I think some of us get a little delusional in aviation and forget how hard regular educated people have to work to earn even $65K. Even if I hated flying I would still continue. Most 705 airlines in Canada work half the month or less. Aviation requires minimal education. With average career choices it's not that hard to crack $100K. The best part of the job is when you set the parking brake...you're done. Go home and watch hockey ect.
I know what you mean by minimal education, but you're discounting the 70k+ it costs to get a CPL + multi these days.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

vermont wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:00 am
dumbbell daddy wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:06 am I can contribute. I worked at one of the big five banks for almost 4 years. I worked as a financial service manager opening accounts, referring shitty investments, starting loan applications ect. Even though I wasn't making financial planner or wealth manager money, the bank was always riding my ass to sell sell sell, and meet my referral and application targets.

I know what you mean by minimal education, but you're discounting the 70k+ it costs to get a CPL + multi these days.
It costs about that for a university education as well. Even on that front i'd say

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Bankers also don't do multi day pairings. Home every night must be nice, didn't have to live in BFN for 3 years (or 6 months with today's movement) with inadequate equipment and training.

Sell the shitty investments using a typewriter while working in an unheated ATCO trailer for minimum wage. After 6 months of that, you'll get Windows 95 and a space heater. Then 4 years later, a modern computer, a climate controlled office but paid $17/hr and required to live near a major airport in an expensive city. By year 10, you're finally making enough money to pay off university debt and start a family.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

tbaylx wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:34 am

It costs about that for a university education as well. Even on that front i'd say
What program? I graduated in Toronto not too long ago and paid just under $30k and this was one of the more expensive programs!

If you got any grants or osap discounts just over $20k is normal.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

vermont wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:09 am
tbaylx wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:34 am

What program? I graduated in Toronto not too long ago and paid just under $30k and this was one of the more expensive programs!

If you got any grants or osap discounts just over $20k is normal.
Engineering degrees at Queens are $15K/year plus books, fees and expenses. $30K all in is a fairly cheap degree.

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

This industry is 100% luck. I know some top notch guys/gals who are struggling to find a Stable job while other losers are making 300k. Aviation is a risk to make the big bucks while going to school and becoming a DR., Engineer, Lawyer, has WAY more of a guarantee. This industry is going from a profession to a trade and the wages are going along with it!

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

pacman007 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:20 pm This industry is 100% luck.
Yeah sure buddy, I would say some people catch lucky breaks but I didn’t live in the middle of bumf*ck nowhere, clean mud and grease off airplane bellies, and freeze my f*cking ass off in pitch dark for some avcanada nobody like you to claim it’s “100% luck”. Go fly a kite.

pacman007
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by pacman007 »

mixturerich wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:17 pm
pacman007 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:20 pm This industry is 100% luck.
Yeah sure buddy, I would say some people catch lucky breaks but I didn’t live in the middle of bumf*ck nowhere, clean mud and grease off airplane bellies, and freeze my f*cking ass off in pitch dark for some avcanada nobody like you to claim it’s “100% luck”. Go fly a kite.
Well it’s to bad you had to do that! Looks like now you can be a capt of a 737 now without ever having to go to bumf*ck nowhere! So in my books that’s lucky! Plus I know people who are still up in the north who can’t get on with AC or WJ, so again I guess you are lucky.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

I think it is the "100%" in your post that people disagree with :wink:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
dumbbell daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dumbbell daddy »

To the ORIGINAL poster,

I find I get to spend way more quality time with my family as an airline pilot. Yes 9-5 is nice. Yes sleeping in your own bed is nice. But, 9-5 banker's usually leave at 8-8:30 depending on where you live and come home around 5:30-6. Also most FP's have to meet up when clients are off work. That means coming home for dinner and then leaving again to meet a couple at 7-7:30 pm. Also most FP's at banks work Saturdays too. A typical pilot for AT, WJ, SW, AC won't work more then 15-16 days a month. Most can work way less depending on fleet and position. Working the occasional holiday does suck but I get more time off to spend with my family. It's nice having chunks of time off so I can really spend time with my kids, not thinking about my boss or targets ect.

I used Financial Planner as a reference point because that position is easily achievable after a few years. They normally make north of $100K and are at the branch level. Capital market guys (ie. Wolf of Wall Street types) work retarded hours, eventually require and MBA, and make a shit load of cash. These guys usually burn out and are poor by 30. A good friend of mine said he was one of the lucky ones. He was making just north of $500K. Cashed out and ended up switching back to the branch level for Nesbitt. Said it would have killed him if he kept it up. This is all the opinion of someone that's worked in both industries. Not someone that is angry at aviation or disappointed and disgruntled with their career choices. After tasting the 705 lifestyle and pay, I would never go back to working 9-5. I'm too lazy.

Best of luck.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”