AME Associations

This forum has been developed to discuss maintenance topics in Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

hikoki otaku
Rank 0
Rank 0

AME Associations

Post by hikoki otaku »

As many of you know Canada has the Canadian Aviation Federation of AME Associations (CFAMEA) which encompasses the : Atlantic AME Association (AAMEA), Pacific AME Association (PAMEA), Western AME Association (WAMEA), Central AME Association (CAMEA) and the AME Association of Ontario.

My in my almost 2 decades in aviation I have been through many C check facilities across the country and now have ended up in the airlines working with hundreds of AME's along the way. In that time i have run into almost no AME's who have been a member of any of these associations. (maybe its just me, feel free to comment if you've had a different experience)

In these organizations one of their objective statements is to - " develop, maintain and improve representation and consultation with regulatory bodies that affect or may affect the profession of the Aircraft Maintenance Engineer".
As it sounds to me they have a relationship with Transport Canada and an input into policies that effect AME's which has me asking myself why more of us aren't involved in these associations?
I'm personally considering joining just to see what its about but I would like to get some thoughts from the Av Canada community on if they think these associations are important for our industry and why or why not anyone would join them or what the associations would have to do to make you interested in joining.
---------- ADS -----------

CBAME
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: AME Associations

Post by CBAME »

I joined, there are some perks, magazine subscriptions, discounts on insurance etc, I also hope they can have more input when fatigue regulations for us when and if they are developed, I hope they can have some input on how regulations are changed and communicate to the industry how to implement changes.

The question is how do we get more AME's to join I know tool discounts and possibly hotel discounts would help contractors decide, also demonstrating the influence they have with TC would help, what past regulations have associations helped with.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Sometime in the distant past I read a report as to why AME's don't join their respective associations. Something to do with the make up and psyche of a typical AME and their aversion to joining. Maybe someone could find the report and post it?
Personally I've joined a few times, usually to get a reduced rate at the yearly association shin dig but have even stopped going to those.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

The internet killed them.

They all used to be one of the best ways to get information and updates on new products and techniques with some great seminars and a whole lot of information sharing. They still are but with the advent of the information age, those materials are now essentially available 247365.

They have obviously been unsuccessful in adding duty day requirements, no one has, in 50 years of trying.

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

I've been a member for over 20 years. Used to attend all the trade shows, training seminars.
Last few years, been watching the membership drop right off, trade shows cancelled due to lack of interest, etc.
Don't know why. It appears AMEs are giving up on anyone trying to speak on our behalf.

chowda
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by chowda »

I've been in this show over twenty years and have never joined and don't know anybody who has. I stopped going to symposiums over 15 years ago also and have never felt the urge to go again.

Im not alone in this and my best guesses as to why it's going on is a) many AME's want to think about work/the industry while at work, not on their time off, b) What exactly have these associations accomplished on behalf of AME's over the years?

I don't know of anything that has had an effect on my daily experience. All I've seen is constant focus on "new recruitment" so I think they know most experienced guys gave up on them a long time ago. So why join?
The last thing I want to do on my time off is socialize about airplanes and past workplace experiences which I've been told is what belonging to an association is mostly about.

Pat Richard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pat Richard »

CBAME wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:12 am I joined, there are some perks, magazine subscriptions, discounts on insurance etc, I also hope they can have more input when fatigue regulations for us when and if they are developed, I hope they can have some input on how regulations are changed and communicate to the industry how to implement changes.

The question is how do we get more AME's to join I know tool discounts and possibly hotel discounts would help contractors decide, also demonstrating the influence they have with TC would help, what past regulations have associations helped with.
As a contractor why would I care about hotel discounts???

Companies or agencies should be covering that expense. In todays market conditions if AME's are paying for their own hotel when contracting they are beyond stupid.

I've personally NEVER PAID FOR ACCOMMODATION. When I see comments like this I understand why there continue to be such shitty contract offers.

IF YOU CONTRACT GET YOUR EXPENSES COVERED, FFS!

CBAME
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CBAME »

Right or wrong some companies offer different Per Diem depending on if they look after accommodations or if you do.

hikoki otaku
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hikoki otaku »

CBAME wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:12 am I joined, there are some perks, magazine subscriptions, discounts on insurance etc, I also hope they can have more input when fatigue regulations for us when and if they are developed, I hope they can have some input on how regulations are changed and communicate to the industry how to implement changes.

I agree CBAME that a tool and or hotel discount would be more appealing to me than a magazine subscription. I emailed them to ask if they had any specific information on regulations that they had any influences in and their reply was to assure me that they have had some but they haven't kept any records so they were unable to give any specific examples. To be fair I believe they have a contracted company to do their administration etc who wouldn't have a aviation back ground.
I joined anyway, hopefully their will be some meetings on regulation this year.

Last edited by hikoki otaku on Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hikoki otaku
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hikoki otaku »

Heliian wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:36 pm The internet killed them.

They all used to be one of the best ways to get information and updates on new products and techniques with some great seminars and a whole lot of information sharing. They still are but with the advent of the information age, those materials are now essentially available 247365.

They have obviously been unsuccessful in adding duty day requirements, no one has, in 50 years of trying.
Agreed ! I definitely wouldn't join because i wanted to use them as a source for information. Unfortunately they haven't seemed to stay up with the times in that respect.

Return to “Maintenance”