Ag spraying question

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Ag spraying question

Post by pelmet »

Used to fly skydivers and tow gliders where we would always fly with reduced fuel loads. Is it the same for agflights?

"C-FJQU, an Ayres S2R aircraft operated by Kindersley Airspray, was conducting an aerial
application flight 16 nm NE of Kindersley Regional (CYKY), SK. During an application pass, the
aircraft experienced an engine power loss (Pratt & Whitney USA R-1340-AN-1). The pilot
attempted an engine restart that was unsuccessful and subsequently the pilot conducted a forced
landing on a road. During the landing sequence, the right wing hit a hydro pole and the aircraft
veered off the road. The aircraft sustained substantial damage to the right wing and the right hand
gear leg collapsed. The pilot was uninjured and there was no environmental damage.
The operator conducted an post-accident examination of the aircraft and observed there was no
fuel remaining on the aircraft."
---------- ADS -----------

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Ag spraying question

Post by C.W.E. »

Used to fly skydivers and tow gliders where we would always fly with reduced fuel loads. Is it the same for agflights?
If you fly with a " reduced " fuel load you land before you run out of fuel.

It is difficult to explain why you ran out of fuel.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

As part of A/C ownership, I will drain the tanks and check the calibration of the fuel gauge and make a placard for the indications at E to F. 30 min and "bingo" fuel should be marked so that the pilot does not only rely on time/fuel burn mental calculations only.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

There are many ways to determine how much fuel you have in any aircraft.

But there is no excuse for running out of fuel in flight.

Except of course a serious fuel leak.

Of all the flying I did during my career Ag. flying was by far the best.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

pelmet wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:27 pm Used to fly skydivers and tow gliders where we would always fly with reduced fuel loads. Is it the same for agflights?
Not really per say. Some have long range tanks and it is much safer to take only a couple hours of fuel.

For the Air Tractor with standard tanks, typically most guys start relatively full (avoid fuel spills due to expansion in the heat when parked), and fill the left wing on every load. Most run the fuel gauge on the right tank to monitor fuel, knowing that the left is always full. I would fill both wings every 5 or so loads as the right worked it's way down. Fuel runs from both wings all the time, but if you blow a wing dry on an Air Tractor you run the risk of fuel starvation.

If you are running extra lean on fuel due to conditions (hot, humid) then you need to give your head a shake. Reduce the load and take an extra load or 2 at the end of the day before you reduce your fuel. Even then, maybe take a look at the label and see if you are exceeding the conditions for the product.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--
KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

I always have to shake my head when the unexpected engine failure is because of "fuel starvation."
It's always unfortunate when it happens, and likely a mistake no one will ever repeat who's been through it, but I would have hoped that we, as a general population, would be better at learning vicariously through the mistakes of others... Guess not :D

It hasn't happened to me.... Yet.

Anyone remember when SuperT landed their twin in Calgary??

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

I do. It is part of a CRM course.

So many lessons to learn from that example as they did just about everything wrong...

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”