Is my vision too bad to be a pilot in Canada?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

bl235
Rank 0
Rank 0

Is my vision too bad to be a pilot in Canada?

Post by bl235 »

I have myopia -8.0. I wear contacts and have glasses.

On websites it says that in the UK pilots cannot exceed -6.0 myopia and in the US you cannot exceed -8.0.

but on the transport Canada medical website it is a little less clear about the limits -

The applicant shall be required to have a distant visual acuity of not less than 6/9 (20/30) in each eye separately, with or without the use of correcting lenses. Where this standard of visual acuity can be obtained only with correcting lenses the applicant shall be assessed fit provided that (a) such correcting lenses are worn when exercising the privileges of the licence or rating applied for or held;
(b) the applicant possesses a visual acuity without correction in each eye separately, not less than 6/60 (20/200) and the refractive error falls within the range of ± 3.0 diopters (equivalent spherical error);

I do not know what my visual acuity is without contacts or if -8.0 myopia is less than 6/9 (20/30)

Thanks for any help
---------- ADS -----------

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Is my vision too bad to be a pilot in Canada?

Post by DCL415 »

Go and visit an CAME (Civil Aviation Medical Examiner) and get your medical done. In my understanding while your glasses get you a 20/20 or 20/25 correction you are good to go

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

snowcrest
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by snowcrest »

I know students at my commercial flight school who are blind as a bat but still hold a cat 1 medical.

As long as you possess 20/30 corrected you're A1.

-snowcrest

All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.
lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

Bear in mind that even if you pass a Cat 1 medical and get your CPL, that level of myopia may still be career-limiting.

...laura

bl235
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bl235 »

lhalliday wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:02 pm Bear in mind that even if you pass a Cat 1 medical and get your CPL, that level of myopia may still be career-limiting.

...laura
what are the concerns that would make it career limiting?

thank you to the above poster for the link to finding a doctor. I would prefer to avoid paying the $250 fee if my vision right out disqualifies me, but I guess the best thing is just to go ahead and do the medical. It sounds like I do have a chance.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Phone them and ask directly, "These are my vision stats. Do you think I could get a Cat. 1 medical?"

Most of them are willing to answer a few questions over the phone. Every Transport Doctor I have ever seen was there to help and willing to answer my questions.

bl235
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bl235 »

Beefitarian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:26 am Phone them and ask directly, "These are my vision stats. Do you think I could get a Cat. 1 medical?"

Most of them are willing to answer a few questions over the phone. Every Transport Doctor I have ever seen was there to help and willing to answer my questions.
I did, I called and spoke to doctors receptionist and told her I have -8.0 myopia. She did ask me to bring in a recent eye exam, so that is what I am doing today. she wasn't able to offer any other advice.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Well, I hope you get good news.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

bl235 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:53 am
lhalliday wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:02 pm Bear in mind that even if you pass a Cat 1 medical and get your CPL, that level of myopia may still be career-limiting.

...laura
If you have a Cat 1 medical, that would be grounds for a complaint to the Canadian Human Rights Commission.

lhalliday
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by lhalliday »

...laura
Employers may have medical standards that differ from those of Transport Canada.

Given two equally-qualified candidates, one with excellent vision and one without, I know which one I'd hire. Human rights is irrelevant; being able to see where you're going is a bona fide occupational requirement for a pilot.

...laura

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

lhalliday wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:38 pm

...laura
Employers may have medical standards that differ from those of Transport Canada.

Given two equally-qualified candidates, one with excellent vision and one without, I know which one I'd hire. Human rights is irrelevant; being able to see where you're going is a bona fide occupational requirement for a pilot.

...laura
An employer that has different standards than Transport Canada would be required to demonstrate a Bona Fide Occupational Requirement (BFOR) for them, that cannot be accommodated without undue hardship. Failure to do so would be grounds for a complaint of discrimination.

DHC driver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by DHC driver »

My vision is similar to yours - 8.5 in one eye, 7.5 in the other - no issues with my Cat 1 at any point. Military flying was not an option for me because of this, but as far as I know there are no other barriers as long as it is correctable with no complications.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

dialdriver wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:51 pm
An employer that has different standards than Transport Canada would be required to demonstrate a Bona Fide Occupational Requirement (BFOR) for them, that cannot be accommodated without undue hardship. Failure to do so would be grounds for a complaint of discrimination.
Discrimination isn’t unlawful; unlawful discrimination is unlawful. You can lawfully discriminate against people for lots of reasons, and employers do, every time they select one candidate over another. Just not (other than for a bona fide occupational requirement) on a number of enumerated protected grounds, like race, sex, religion etc.

It’s actually quite a tough call - is poor (but correctable) eyesight a “disability”? If it is, you can’t discriminate against someone for it, but if not, then fill your boots and choose the pilot who sees better.

The “optics” - no pun intended - of a licenced commercial pilot claiming to be visually disabled and therefore protected from discrimination on that ground - are curious, to say the least.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Flight Training”