North Wright Airways 2019/2020

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Laythe
Rank 1
Rank 1

North Wright Airways 2019/2020

Post by Laythe »

With the job posting accepting 200hr pilots and me just finishing up my Multi IFR soon does anyone have any current info about the company?

Few question in particuler

Time on ramp until flying
Base and room quality
Time to upgrade
What kind of requirements to fly the Twin Otter (Also do you have to have a float rating to fly the otter, and if so how much float time do you need)
Salary

I am very interested in working for them and any info would be appreciated as this would be my first job. Also while I'm flying around training does anyone think it would be worth it to do a cross county up to Norman Wells and drop off a resume in person, or would they not care about that sort of thing?

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

joshiscool26
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: North Wright Airways 2019/2020

Post by joshiscool26 »

If your coming north come to tindi. No bonds or contracts, super amazing Twin Otter flying and amazing captain to learn from, great pay and schedule, flight benefits on all the major carriers and a better life style living in Yellowknife. Also amazing chances for career advancement. If you have any other questions send me a PM. Also if you have your group 3 and a multi rating they are cool with you doing the IFR upgrade in the PPC. Also if you stick with it you get to fly the dash 7 before they are all gone.
Josh

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

still a 2 year wait on the ramp at Tindi? considering they had a King Air flying around with 1 attitude indicator for a significant amount of time prior to losing that one and killing the crew. What do you base the statement that you have amazing captain's to learn from on? Tindi has a piss poor culture with a shitty attitude towards saftey and they've kill 1 crew with that attitude so far this year. If you value your life, don't work somewhere where they value getting the job done over getting the job done safely.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

considering they had a King Air flying around with 1 attitude indicator for a significant amount of time prior to losing that one and killing the crew.
When did that happen?

Has the accident report been released?

Laythe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laythe »

I'm hoping we can avoid derailing this thread. Is there anyone who has worked for North Wright recently or knows anyone who would be able to help answer some of these questions?

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

I know a guy who is currently rotating out of Calgary and heard him say best job he ever had. I've never worked with this guy and don't know his flying history but have no reason to doubt what he said. I believe he is Left seat in the 1900.

Laythe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laythe »

That's awesome, I didn't even know they did rotations. If you get the chance could you ask him how long new people usually end up on the ramp for?

Blueshift
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blueshift »

The only people doing rotational schedules are direct-entry captains. Everyone else is on a 50 weeks on / 2 weeks off schedule.

To answer your questions:
  • The last I heard, it was only a few months on the ramp before being trained on the 206/207. I would assume at least six months before being trained on a twin turbine.
  • The main base is Norman Wells. You are provided housing in the crew camp to start, then a house in town once you get seniority. They recently did renovations on camp, so I heard it's pretty nice now.
  • Again, likely at least six months until twin turbine. From there, I would expect around two years until you're trained on the caravan and three years until twin turbine captain, but these may have gone down with all the movement.
  • There's no extra requirements to fly the twin otter beside a CPL/MIFR. A float rating would likely help quite a bit though. If they like you, they'll still train you on the twin otter then let you go down south and do your float rating during your vacation.
  • Expect minimum wage to start. The pay goes up slightly once you're trained on something. You'll start making decent money once you're on the caravan. Since housing is provided, it is possible to save a little without too much effort, even at the start.

Overall, it's a good place to get a start and gain experience. The flying up there is second-to-none, but expect to be worked hard. Norman Wells is a pretty small town too, so be prepared for that. The best thing you can do is to go in with an open mind and enjoy the outdoors as much as you can.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Don't forget Tuesday wing night at the hotel/restaurant its the highlight of the week.

KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

I never worked for North-Wright, but I worked at a hunting camp that they chartered for. Really great guys from my perspective. I was in the Mackenzies. Beautiful country. If you go, you'd make a lot of great memories, and gain a lot of practical experience. If I wasn't already married, I might consider applying myself........ Norman Wells is a little, um, quaint.

Laythe
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Laythe »

Blueshift wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:03 am The only people doing rotational schedules are direct-entry captains. Everyone else is on a 50 weeks on / 2 weeks off schedule.

To answer your questions:
  • The last I heard, it was only a few months on the ramp before being trained on the 206/207. I would assume at least six months before being trained on a twin turbine.
  • The main base is Norman Wells. You are provided housing in the crew camp to start, then a house in town once you get seniority. They recently did renovations on camp, so I heard it's pretty nice now.
  • Again, likely at least six months until twin turbine. From there, I would expect around two years until you're trained on the caravan and three years until twin turbine captain, but these may have gone down with all the movement.
  • There's no extra requirements to fly the twin otter beside a CPL/MIFR. A float rating would likely help quite a bit though. If they like you, they'll still train you on the twin otter then let you go down south and do your float rating during your vacation.
  • Expect minimum wage to start. The pay goes up slightly once you're trained on something. You'll start making decent money once you're on the caravan. Since housing is provided, it is possible to save a little without too much effort, even at the start.

Overall, it's a good place to get a start and gain experience. The flying up there is second-to-none, but expect to be worked hard. Norman Wells is a pretty small town too, so be prepared for that. The best thing you can do is to go in with an open mind and enjoy the outdoors as much as you can.

Thank you, this was a lot of the info I was looking for! Being in Norman wells will definetly be a big change from the city life I'm use too. But the flying they do is simply unreal. I don't wanna just grind instruct for 1000 hours and go right seat at the regionals so I'm really looking for a challenge.

Does anyone know how the interview goes? Will I need to fly up their for it or do they do a phone/video call?

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

not sure why my IP address was blocked from this site, but for an airline pilot who knows little about computers. Is blocking an IP for speaking the truth the direction you want to go as a site? also, when I get to each new respective hotel, do I get a new IP?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

leftoftrack wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:49 am not sure why my IP address was blocked from this site, but for an airline pilot who knows little about computers. Is blocking an IP for speaking the truth the direction you want to go as a site? also, when I get to each new respective hotel, do I get a new IP?
Join the club. It is ridiculous. And yes, new IP for every hotel, untill one spammer stays in that hotel and then that IP gets blocked as well. Good thing pilots hardly ever stay in hotels...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

If you got IP banned for the above comment that's ridiculous. You just said what we are all thinking. Skimping on maintenance of primary flight instruments shows little regard for the lives of your crews and borders on criminally negligent manslaughter. I'd never work for a company that did that.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

I was till I checked out of my hotel room. feel sorry for the other crews who stay there now

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

use a vpn which everyone should do in a hotel

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
PersonPersonson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by PersonPersonson »

leftoftrack wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:05 am still a 2 year wait on the ramp at Tindi? considering they had a King Air flying around with 1 attitude indicator for a significant amount of time prior to losing that one and killing the crew. What do you base the statement that you have amazing captain's to learn from on? Tindi has a piss poor culture with a shitty attitude towards saftey and they've kill 1 crew with that attitude so far this year. If you value your life, don't work somewhere where they value getting the job done over getting the job done safely.

Not sure where you are getting your info from but it is incredibly incorrect. The way you wrote your post tells me that you have either never worked for Tindi or if you did it was 20 years ago. You are entitled to your opinion but dont state your opinion as if it is a fact.

"There haven't been many times I've told myself I had too much fuel"
leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

https://nnsl.com/yellowknifer/key-fligh ... ndi-crash/

not sure what info you think is incorrect. Here's the president of tindi talking about the decision making of the pilots who work for him though.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

One issue with being a rampie in the wells is they don't let you fly much. I was told there's 3 FO/ rampies per captain, that way it takes 3 times as long to build the hours you need to leave. (told to me by one who left) Other than slow progression he didn't have any bad things to say.

Return to “General Comments”