Regional Career

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Regional Career

Post by jpilot77 »

There are a lot of single day turns at mainline. The guys who have good seniority on the 330 can do YUL-YVR-YUL and work about 7 to 8 days a month. The 787, 777, at Rouge the 767 and 319 have long single turn days as well. As far as cities are concerned Jazz and Encore have the same bases as mainline.
---------- ADS -----------

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

Perdiems ARE NOT PAY.

Better hope to god that the CRA does start taxing on it.

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

Go to mainline and establish seniority on the most junior aircraft. Stay senior on the most junior aircraft. If you enjoy regional airline type flying, fly the E190 or A220. The regional airline world is cutthroat. Air Canada is ten times more secure than Jazz, Encore, Sky Regional, and Georgian. Jazz and Encore being the two better ones at the moment. I would even consider Swoop over the regionals. I worked for two different regional for a total of 8 years. It gets old after a while and you'll want new challenges. DO NOT turn down AC to stay at the regionals. Maybe you have four bars on your shoulders and it's a ego boost and you don't want to walk around again with three bars. These are different times than the 30+ plus year veterans at Jazz or whatever airline they originated from. The industry is not stagnant right now. Make a move whilst you can before the movement stops and/or you're burned out.

Captain Kirkk
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Captain Kirkk »

GoHomeLeg wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:11 pm Go to mainline and establish seniority on the most junior aircraft. Stay senior on the most junior aircraft. If you enjoy regional airline type flying, fly the E190 or A220. The regional airline world is cutthroat. Air Canada is ten times more secure than Jazz, Encore, Sky Regional, and Georgian. Jazz and Encore being the two better ones at the moment. I would even consider Swoop over the regionals. I worked for two different regional for a total of 8 years. It gets old after a while and you'll want new challenges. DO NOT turn down AC to stay at the regionals. Maybe you have four bars on your shoulders and it's a ego boost and you don't want to walk around again with three bars. These are different times than the 30+ plus year veterans at Jazz or whatever airline they originated from. The industry is not stagnant right now. Make a move whilst you can before the movement stops and/or you're burned out.
He got PFO’d, he’s just trying to justify a regional being better than mainline for his next stupid video.

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Don't forget that Keith used to sell his "aviation mentorship services" on Avcanada before he got banned. Probably wasn't a good resume padder and he got PFO'd from big red.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

GoHomeLeg wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:11 pm Go to mainline and establish seniority on the most junior aircraft. Stay senior on the most junior aircraft. If you enjoy regional airline type flying, fly the E190 or A220. The regional airline world is cutthroat. Air Canada is ten times more secure than Jazz, Encore, Sky Regional, and Georgian. Jazz and Encore being the two better ones at the moment. I would even consider Swoop over the regionals. I worked for two different regional for a total of 8 years. It gets old after a while and you'll want new challenges. DO NOT turn down AC to stay at the regionals. Maybe you have four bars on your shoulders and it's a ego boost and you don't want to walk around again with three bars. These are different times than the 30+ plus year veterans at Jazz or whatever airline they originated from. The industry is not stagnant right now. Make a move whilst you can before the movement stops and/or you're burned out.
Bingo

skymaster007
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skymaster007 »

So you got PFO'ed! So??
Apply again. You will probably get in on your second attempt or even the third.
Dont give up. Dont be discouraged.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

CaptainKirk is getting a hard time lol

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

Most of these comments never added to the post. Just the usual avcanada bashing other users. (It’s easy to hide behind being anonymous).

In any case, I never said regionals are better than manlike. Nor do I think mainline is better than regionals.
What matters is the individual choices you make based on your ideal life and family commitments.

Most people rushing to go to the next level think that’s what will make them happy or make more money. They always fail to see the whole picture of starting junior again and getting paid sooo low.

Anyways I’ve decided to stay for now. I’ll be further ahead financially. Who knows if I get bored I’ll apply. By then I’ll have enough money in the bank not to care.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

CaptainKirk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:32 pm Anyways I’ve decided to stay for now. I’ll be further ahead financially.
How does that math work?

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

He’ll be “further ahead” based off his projected 6 million YouTube followers and the income from that :lol:

Keith... you realize that if you started at AC today, in 5 years you’d be making around a minimum ( again, MINIMUM, on the a220) $115 an hour as an FO. Meanwhile your 5th year rate at Jazz would be near the $110 an hour mark. And you will always be ahead after that at AC, and miles ahead if you go left seat. Even on the 220 you’d be making almost $200 an hour as a Capt at year 5 if you started now.

You’re what, 30? That’s another 25 years if you retire at 55, ain’t no way you will make more money at jazz, the math is literally impossible.

And enough with this garbage about starting with low pay and starting junior, the number of new hires at AC is insane, you’d barely notice a difference.

Smarten up, you’re embarrassing yourself and all of your colleagues. And for the love of god, I hope you don’t lecture your FO’s with all this false information too.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

CaptainKirk wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:32 pm Most of these comments never added to the post. Just the usual avcanada bashing other users. (It’s easy to hide behind being anonymous).
Well Keith - I don't "hide behind being anonymous".

I know South Asians are incredibly naive - but you're taking things to a whole new level!

You've learned nothing from your last "appearance" here and are busy digging a huge hole for yourself again.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
bearitus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bearitus »

speedah wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:56 pm He’ll be “further ahead” based off his projected 6 million YouTube followers and the income from that :lol:

Keith... you realize that if you started at AC today, in 5 years you’d be making around a minimum ( again, MINIMUM, on the a220) $115 an hour as an FO. Meanwhile your 5th year rate at Jazz would be near the $110 an hour mark. And you will always be ahead after that at AC, and miles ahead if you go left seat. Even on the 220 you’d be making almost $200 an hour as a Capt at year 5 if you started now.

You’re what, 30? That’s another 25 years if you retire at 55, ain’t no way you will make more money at jazz, the math is literally impossible.

And enough with this garbage about starting with low pay and starting junior, the number of new hires at AC is insane, you’d barely notice a difference.

Smarten up, you’re embarrassing yourself and all of your colleagues. And for the love of god, I hope you don’t lecture your FO’s with all this false information too.
Good post, I 100% agree. I have been advocating to my FOs to go the AC as fast as they can especially if they are young and have a long career ahead of them.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Currently at AC (which isn't end all be all of aviation in canada btw) the "seniority hit" that you would take is negligible. My friends son started around a year ago and has about 500 numbers below him as of two days ago. He is a mainline 320 FO, gets weekends off and basically anything he bids for (single days, specific pairings etc). As for the pay hit, upgrades are sitting at around the 1.5 year - 2 year mark right now depending on what equipment you want.

There is something for everyone at AC these days, especially with movement being at record levels.

However, to each their own.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I look at it this way..

Under 30? You're a fool if you don't go. Between 30-35, you probably should go. Over 35? Have young children and a family life? Now its time to run the numbers and figure out what exactly you want from the next 5, then 10 and then 20 years of your life. It'll be a tough call. A few years of pain for 20 years of good life. If things continue the way they are going anyways.. However..

There is NO guarantee of the 2-3 year upgrades continuing. What if they shut the hiring doors tomorrow? Another 911 event happens? The Transat deal puts close to 700 in front of you next year and Then the economy tanks? You're pretty much holding your proverbial d*ck in your hand. Literally tomorrow something could go mildly sideways and leave the bottom 200 numbers stuck where they are for the next five years.

However, change three things and it becomes a no brainer to go. 1) flat pay gone 2) lift the ridiculous course rights nonsense 3) Fix the atrocious reserve rules.

Have to look at best case AND worst case scenario and then choose something somewhere in the middle for reality.

Then again, maybe Ac will soon be forced to increase compensation when 'Merica opens the doors to anyone with an ATPL to fill their market! Ya just never know.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

^ spot on

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

35 is kind of a low arbitrary number to choose. Many many new hires well over that age.

To each their own of course. But giving up a mainline career with all its blemishes for a regional one is a bad idea.

Unless you are totally adverse to giving up the 4th bar go to mainline. 10 times out of 10. With time it will prove to be the right move, 10 times out of 10.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Hangry wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:40 pm 35 is kind of a low arbitrary number to choose. Many many new hires well over that age.

To each their own of course. But giving up a mainline career with all its blemishes for a regional one is a bad idea.

Unless you are totally adverse to giving up the 4th bar go to mainline. 10 times out of 10. With time it will prove to be the right move, 10 times out of 10.
60% of the time it works everytime

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

Hangry wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:40 pm 35 is kind of a low arbitrary number to choose. Many many new hires well over that age.

Over 35 and you can't have a 30yr career at AC. That changes things. Also, who really wants to work past 63? No thanks! I'd rather be out the door at 60.

Many many? More like a few. Most of those coming from Express now are between 25 and 32. A handful OTS are over 35, but not 'Many many' I've been quite actively watching the list of those who left Jazz and the new hire bios at AC as it always interests me who they select. Most of my post sec was focused on hiring/interviewing.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Is max pension at 30? Or 25?

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”