Commercial Flight test soon...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

stephen6ix
Rank 1
Rank 1

Commercial Flight test soon...

Post by stephen6ix »

I have my CPL flight test coming up and even though I've have alot of practice ground briefings I'm a bit concerned about the ground portion and was wondering if you guys have any additional suggestions on what I should know or read up on to help better prepare myself. Thanks in advance
---------- ADS -----------

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Commercial Flight test soon...

Post by youhavecontrol »

Best advice I can give is anything you think, "gee I hope they don't ask me about that." you should study. Be prepared, and organized and if you present your planning in a neat and clear manner, there's likely less questions they'll ask you because they know you've done your homework.

Best of luck!

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Know your VNC cold.
Know your weather cold, GFA's ect
Flight planning and decision making.

Ace the ground portion and it relaxes you and the examiner for air portion. Mine was a breeze for this reason.

Best wishes!

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DCL415 »

The only thing you need to have memorized is Va, Vx and Vy. Any other thing you have reference notes, so I made very extensive notes with the reference of the place I took the info from. When I doubted something I told the examiner one sec. looked in to my notes and gave him the answer. He asked where did I get the info from, and I told him POH, Section 7 page 12, and that was all he wanted to know.
On the weather brief, dont read. Interpret what the charts are saying. Example: Weather is VFR, with no ceilings, winds from the west moderate to strong at times. Big picture to small picture. Example: Notams, Upper charts, Satellite and Radar, GFA's, TAF's and Metars. Do the TAF and the past metars agree?
Remember you want to be a commercial pilot act and behave like one.

Good luck

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

/\ What he said

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

It’s good to see that the :45 flight planning segment had been done away with.

Some stuff ( ZFW, Vref etc seems a bit overkill) - you won’t be using this formula in the real world.

The ride is a scripted test .. it’s not representative of the real world that’s out there. ..Show up, be professional, do your best and tick the boxes.

My ride was a long time ago but I had this :

Complete and thorough flight planning: anticipated TOC/ TOD
Runway light spacing ( Go/ no-go decision)
Know the flight schools WX operating minima ( if applicable)
Pitot block /static block etc
Know aircraft systems applicable to your aircraft COLD

If you are in a designated mountain region understand how weather will change with the interplay with geographical features. ( ocean, glaciers, lakes) - yup I was asked this.

Know what adverse weather is common to your region.

Failures applicable to your specific aircraft
I was asked some material on my TC written

If you don’t know don’t BS the examiner! Look it up... but be sure to know where to look... with this being said, don’t rely on looking up stuff in your POH for everything.

Be polite, courteous, humble, professional to the examiner- you ( in part) set the tone of the ride. If the examiner is cranky... let it go. Do you’re job. If you set a relaxed, calm, confident professional tone chances are things will fall into place regardless of what is happening with the examiner. ( this will come in handy for your crew PPC rides too)

The examiner typically does not want to see you fail and is not out to get you... again, tick the boxes.

Remember... you’re the PIC !

Show up well fed, well rested, and in a good mindset.

If you aren’t comfortable with the weather on that day - don’t go.

If you don’t understand ask for clarification, don’t take shortcuts .. and don’t rush.

If you’ve been recommended the ride is a practical application of everything you already know.

Mistakes happen... don’t dwell on it .. recognize the error, trap the error , correct it and move on.

Think of smooth aircraft handling ... treat your training aircraft as if it was the CP.

Don’t point out your own mistakes to the examiner... just fix it .. it’s possible they didn’t notice.

What everyone else said!

Good luck.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

not sure who told you ZFW and Vref aren't used in the real world. All aircraft limitations should be known and memorised. Vref V1 V2 Venr are all calculated for every Sector, and re calculated if nessacary

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

I never said it wasn’t used in the real world I said “ you won’t be using this formula in the real world.”

Perhaps I need to clarify... I’ve never had to calculate my zero fuel or Vref for a C185, BN2, C206, supercub, C208, BN2 by way of the TC formula... I’ve never seen it done this way operationally. I have never been asked to do so by any Commerical operator.

All these calculations for a C152 seems a bit much... that’s my only point.

Yes, I’ve used ZFW in the airlines...I agree it’s used there,I have used it and it is indeed a limitation.

I have never had to calculate my VRef etc by way of the TC formula provided in a 705 operation .. yet...I never said it wasn’t used ..

ShawnR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ShawnR »

My CPL test is scheduled for tomorrow. I just found this thread...now, I am nervous (er)....😨

Thank you for responding to the poster...I too will use this info.

Cheers

SpeedChecks
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by SpeedChecks »

Airspace, Airspace, Airspace!

stephen6ix
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stephen6ix »

hey guys I had my CPL flight test this morning and I passed, thanks for all your help

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

stephen6ix wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:53 pm hey guys I had my CPL flight test this morning and I passed, thanks for all your help
:prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

hey guys I had my CPL flight test this morning and I passed, thanks for all your help

That is great!

Now you can start flying and learn about flying by doing it in the real world of flying, you will be amazed at how different it is from what you have had to regurgitate to pass bureaucracy.

Return to “General Comments”