Hard to find a job?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Heli123
Rank 0
Rank 0

Hard to find a job?

Post by Heli123 »

Hey, guys! I was trying to find this topic in existing list alredy, but all that i found was too briefly.
I'm a girl, 27 years old, and flying helicipters was my dream from childhood. But in the country I came from it was almost unreal to make true. Coming to Canada i started to think about it, like maybe i can finnaly do that?! But the biggest question is and the only one that stoppes me from going and doing it right again is: after 100h graduation from a school, how hard is it to find your first job? Because people say different things that quite hard to put together. And the question is very important, because, as you understand , putting around 100k for a school you would like to continue flying, not just enjoying 4-6 months and then choosing another job.
Share your experience and give me advices how to make it true, please!
Thank you all, guys, have a nice day and clear sky! 😘
---------- ADS -----------

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Hard to find a job?

Post by MOAB »

Don't expect a job right away. You could be looking at time spent on the ground in the range of years depending on where you go.

Are you a permanent resident or do you have a visa that will let you work here after?

Alot of people get into helicopters with the same expectations as the fixed wing world and soon realize that it's going to be tough working on the ground and making a serious life change.

So long as your ok moving fuel drums in the bush for long hours, sweeping floors and cleaning everything all the time all while learning and staying positive and showing you have the work ethic, then you'll do fine.

All Sides
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by All Sides »

Best advise I can give you is go visit helicopter companies and ask them about their hiring criteria, you might be shocked. By helicopter companies, I mean ones that operate in the field and not around cities and large towns.

Good Luck

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

As a low time pilot there are very few jobs actually flying. Most, 80% who get a commercial license will never be paid to fly. Its hard road and you will be exploited as ground crew, long days, no overtime, no time off. The down tern in oil/gas and logging has hit some companies hard that used to hire low timers to fly. Now its seem the only place to start is with a tour company and there are only a couple of those. My only advice is don't do it unless, you really really really want to. Even after you get 500-1000 hrs expect to be gone all summer. Most shifts for tour pilots are 21on / 10off if your lucky ,2/2 is rare. Contract can be 42days on 5 off for the summer. Or no schedule at all if your a base pilot you just work. You will never be paid overtime, as a pilot. Honestly go fixed wing.

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

Hello. It would be great if you posted a lot more information about yourself. Where are you located, willing to move, previous work experience, planning to stay in Canada long term and legally allowed to work her, are you willing to fly part time and do other duties part time as well, level of your English if not a first language, and much more? I will be looking for a pilot, low hours is fine as I am willing to help a pilot gain experience to. But there are a lot more duties than just flying, the flying part is part time. Also you will likely have to move to get a good job, very unlikely that it is in the same place you live. A million other things factor into any answer you will get. Are there jobs available, you bet there are, but you have to earn them. If you are serious about talking with me about a job, I would take the time out of my day for a phone call with you. If you are not serious, then no point. Send me a PM with name and number if you would like me to call. Ps. I am in central BC, Canada is huge, and different regions have different needs. That said, it is a great career but you have to really want it, and be prepared to bust your butt for 5 to 10 years doing a lot more than just flying around. At only 27, you are still young, so could have a long and glorious career, it's up to you.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”