fifty reasons to find a new instructor

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: fifty reasons to find a new instructor

Post by C.W.E. »

you don't obtain more lift in a headwind than a tailwind. There's going to be a difference. It may be minimal, but there will be a difference in power setting and attitude of the aircraft in opposite directions.
So if I am flying a constant rate of turn and maintaining the same altitude flying in a circle in cloud how do I know when to change the power and attitude?
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

from the Ground Speed Indicator.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Zaibatsu
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Zaibatsu »

Lots of people die every year turning from tailwinds to headwinds and visa versa. Remember to throttle back or throttle up.

And everyone knows that the way to land is the fishing for a greaser method. If an instructor tells you otherwise you should find another one.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Zaibatsu wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:20 pm Lots of people die every year turning from tailwinds to headwinds and visa versa. Remember to throttle back or throttle up.
That is because of the illusion it creates. You either end up slipping or skiding in a turn at low altitude and low speed. There's a good risk of spin. It has nothing to do with power. In fact reducing power in a headwind to tailwind turn (trying to counteract the increase in GS) will bring you closer to a stall.

Watch the airspeed, apply rudder properly, you'll be fine, no need to add or reduce power.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Has flying training really gotten to this level where basic knowledge such as this is so lacking?

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Apparently so. And people like us (although you are WAY older than me) can't figure out where to start, because you need common ground - as it were. I am going to be very near YCD after tomorrow by the way. I will PM you.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

the-minister31 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 pm
Zaibatsu wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:20 pm Lots of people die every year turning from tailwinds to headwinds and visa versa. Remember to throttle back or throttle up.
That is because of the illusion it creates. You either end up slipping or skiding in a turn at low altitude and low speed. There's a good risk of spin. It has nothing to do with power. In fact reducing power in a headwind to tailwind turn (trying to counteract the increase in GS) will bring you closer to a stall.

Watch the airspeed, apply rudder properly, you'll be fine, no need to add or reduce power.
When your level of sarcasm is soo advanced people are starting to think you are an idiot :rolleyes:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I'm pretty sure there's a quote by someone famous:

"Any sufficiently advanced form of humour is indistinguishable from idiocy."

Or something like that.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

digits_ wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:18 pm
the-minister31 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 pm

When your level of sarcasm is soo advanced people are starting to think you are an idiot :rolleyes:

hahaha allright you got me, at this point in the thread I don't know what is sarcasm and what is not !

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Any sufficiently advanced form of humour is indistinguishable from idiocy."
Good to know. I am really an advanced humorist.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

If your instructor:

-gives you a reference point on the windshield for visual flight, without helping you select it, but rather just telling you it, you need a new instructor.
-cannot explain properly why you need rudder when rolling
-cannot explain why you adjust power in steeper bank angles to maintain speed
-cannot explain why the aircraft keeps drifting left during the flare
-teaches you to enter a 'holding pattern' during a diversion lesson until you get all your planning done
-thinks your indicated airspeed, or even stall characteristics change in a headwind v/s tailwind
-doesn't give you a debrief with positive and negative feedback after every flight, nor does he ask you initially for your own assessment
-when asked something he/she doesn't know, bluffs out a pathetic answer or just tells you to "look it up" to avoid the answer, or is afraid to admit when making a mistake or are wrong about something you've identified.
-insists you say, "any conflicting traffic please advise"
-frequently cancels for weather even if it's in the company's SOP's limits to go, but doesn't want to because it might be "too challenging"
-teaches you a fixed power setting for the entire base/final phase of approach
-jumps in any moment you are about to make a mistake
-checks his/her phone frequently in flight for non-operational reasons
-complains to you about the company or other students
-doesn't brief, check your work or assess your threshold knowledge before a lesson

...you need a new instructor.

There.. there's some of the reasons I've encountered.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

^I think I’ve worked with all of those people.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

What's wrong with flying around a known landmark while you set up for a diversion on a PPL level?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

youhavecontrol wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:43 am -cannot explain properly why you need rudder when rolling
Going to guess that's about 99.4% of instructors; the rest have a graduate level qualification in aerodynamics. Why is the "proper" explanation so important, anyway?
teaches you a fixed power setting for the entire base/final phase of approach
Well I guess that's . out of the window then; he likes throttle fixed at idle.
digits_ wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:24 am What's wrong with flying around a known landmark while you set up for a diversion on a PPL level?
I think the objection is to calling it a "holding pattern". I'm not sure why that's a sacking offence, though.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Well I guess that's . out of the window then; he likes throttle fixed at idle.
Not on base and final.

Below fifty feet above the landing surface I generally close the throttle / throttles.

I don't mind being quoted, as long as the quote is correct. :)

By the way what is wrong with my way of doing it?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Nothing wrong at all. Lots of different ways to do it.

(I misunderstood; I thought you liked to teach power off approaches from the downwind, for ab-initio students.)

I started this thread because I'm often amused by the "my way or the highway" approach to things. I think you can have a fabulous instructor, whom you should cherish and love to bits, even if they insist you say "any conflicting traffic please advise." and refer to an orbit as a "holding pattern": nobody is perfect.

Every student of flying encounters the day when they come to the sudden and unexpected realization that something their instructor told them, was actually wrong. It's part of growing up.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

photofly wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:36 pm
youhavecontrol wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:43 am -cannot explain properly why you need rudder when rolling
Going to guess that's about 99.4% of instructors; the rest have a graduate level qualification in aerodynamics. Why is the "proper" explanation so important, anyway?
No no you misunderstand. You need to have the exact same level of knowledge as the person making such statements. If you know less, you are incompetent. If you know more, you are hung up on irrelevant details!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

So true :-)

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

digits_ wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:45 pm
No no you misunderstand. You need to have the exact same level of knowledge as the person making such statements. If you know less, you are incompetent. If you know more, you are hung up on irrelevant details!
If you drive 1 km / hr slower than me, you're a danger to everyone on the road and blocking traffic. 1 km faster, you're a lunatic that should lose their licence. :lol:

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Nothing wrong at all. Lots of different ways to do it.

(I misunderstood; I thought you liked to teach power off approaches from the downwind, for ab-initio students.)
No problem these forums sometimes are hard to follow what others have said in the past.

I have not held a Canadian instructors rating since the early sixties when I quit doing ab-initio flight instruction.

However I have always really liked teaching flying so I taught Ag. flying, Fire bombing and did advanced airplane handling skills training for the rest of my flying career as a fill in for when I was not flying for some company or government agency.

As to closing the throttle / throttles fifty feet above the landing surface that comes from over five thousand hours flying the DC3 about half of which was off airport flying on wheel /skis so accurate touch down and speed control was necessary to be on speed and on flight path both vertical and laterally by fifty feet and then using inertia was how I did it and it just naturally became my method of landing almost every airplane.

The exception was landing from a curving approach to the touch down in airplanes such as the Pitts Special where I generally closed the throttle when I was abeam the desired touch down point the flare and bank angle are one smooth action just prior to runway contact.

Note:::

The above is how I did it for many decades and it worked well for me, I am not suggesting it is how anyone else should do it. :)

Return to “Flight Training”