Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Regional Career

Post by CaptainKirk »

DirtyDashDriver wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:11 am
As for the regional career. My original post was asking who else on here decided to stay and for what reasons. I’m opening a dialogue that was missing on this forum.
I'll bite and explain why I'm likely staying at a regional.

For starters, I don't commute. I've done it and don't want to do it again. A move to either mainline carrier flying red or teal means a commute. I figure my son deserves more than to see his old man through FaceTime.

Second, my quality of life, even working 16 to 18 days, is pretty good. I'm not a line pilot anymore - I mostly run the sim for training and rides, do the odd bit in the office, and when I do fly it's a one or two-day pairing. I can't recall the last time I did a four-day pairing. That means I'm home, having dinner with the family for the better part of the month. Teaching is something I could do at a mainline carrier, but it again means a commute and by the time it happened, my son would be in high school. Those are days I can't get back.

Third, we're a single-income family who has worked very hard to have only 7 years left on the mortgage and no other debt. We're both coming up on 40 and we don't aspire to see our credit card and credit line maxed out again with the mortgage extending to 15 years. While financially we would likely be better off in the long run at a mainline carrier, that minimum of 4 years at FO wages put's us in a financial spot we don't want to go back to (we identified it would likely take around a decade to get back to where we are today).

Maybe my decisions would be different if my wife was working or the economy was trending up from a recession and not towards one. If I was even five years younger, my decision would definitely be different. But I've never chased metal and I've only ever needed enough money to be comfortable. I can't take it with me into the ground, and my son will already have a pretty little sum when I shuffle off the mortal coil, so I may as well give him a couple of good memories along the way. Air Canada and WestJet cannot do that for me; at least, not right now. That's why I'm likely sticking it out.

If I'm wrong, oh well. It won't matter in 30 to 40 years!
Kudos to taking care of your family and making wise financial decisions. It’s not easy but it’s worth it.
---------- ADS -----------

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

altiplano wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:16 am
Hangry wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:03 am I agree. Super douche move blasting him about his PFO.
Especially when it would be so much easier - and deserving - to blast him about those YouTube videos... that's some painful shit.

You at least need to be a hot European girl or something if you're doing to that kind of thing.

The psych eval seems to work apparently.

My video need work I agree haha. I’m a natural introvert and immigrated to Canada in grade 10 with little knowledge of speaking English. YouTube is a way for me to express my love for aviation while working on my speaking ability. You try recording yourself and play it back,not even to post online, just for yourself. You tell me how it sounds and how well you can articulate bro!

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

Yo Captain Kirk, speaking ability aside. Which I do believe you do fine at... i would have never guessed you came here in grade 10.
Maybe people wouldnt give you such a hard time if it wasnt for the silly salary video. Come on bro, a year 1 or 2 captain isnt making that much cash with just a little overtime.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

I’m not blasting him about the PFO. Heck I got PFO by AC a couple of years ago and was super bummed out about it at the time. But I sure as hell didn’t start posting YouTube videos about how awesome my “choice” was.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:23 am The other outright negative posts I’m ignoring.
.....but you didn't.
CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:23 am Wanna know why?
Not really. See above.
CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:23 am Because I never act like my life is perfect. It took a lot of ups and downs to get to this point.
Alright, you get points here for using a pun.
CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:23 am If I have flaws and losses then you have them too.
Flawed logic on this one. I, and others, may have flaws but they have nothing to do with you.
CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:23 am Super dickish’ of you guys to bring up a PFO and my life flaws etc.
Yes, I agree that bringing up your PFO wasn't required but I want to explore this one a bit. Why do you think being PFO'd is a life flaw? Is a career at AC, or lack thereof, a significant metric in your life and legacy? Perhaps certain character flaws contributed to the PFO, you aren't the first and won't be the last, but instead of treating it like a slap in the face and reflection of your life why not just treat it as a learning experience, grow from it, and move on or try again later? I admit to having zero experience in commercial aviation, I'm a military guy. I've seen several dozen people removed from Air Force pilot training and normally they're pretty crushed by the ordeal, but most move on in a positive direction. Several are now working at Jazz, Encore, and a few have even made it to AC proper. Point is at the end of the day it's just a job, not your life.
CaptainKirk wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:23 am You’re not any perfect yourself bro!
You sure?

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

I don't know why people have the balls to attack CaptainKirk hiding behing ghost accounts. This man enjoys doing youtube videos and happens to start a thread on AVCanada to feel the beat of the industry. I am deeply shocked and saddned by some of the responses that I have seen here. CaptainKirk keep it up man, don't let idiots troll you down.

Im a regional guy that is also having this profound debate of regional vs mainline. I am between 30 and 35, married with kids. I sit mid-list FO and working on my ATPL. Do I apply at AC or remain regional? My main concern is seniority. How will it play out staying put or going mainline. Either or are good jobs a provide an honest way to put food on the table. Amen!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

mid-list FO and only just WORKING on an ATPL.. that's astonishing...

what a business we're in these days... there was a time, not that long ago, that most would have killed to get a job and have a career at Jazz... make 6 figures, good contract, good training, good equipment, benefits, home a lot...

I had 5000+ hours command and an ATPL I would have done anything to be an FO on the -8 at Jazz and never could get a call from them.

Pretty good job by most standards... not everyone can go Mainline...

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

@CaptainKirk

You're still not getting it imho.

I guess you can take the man out of South Asia but you can't take South Asia out of the man!

You're not the only one that has faced hard times - that's called LIFE.

Here's some free advice (which you previously said you didn't value....).

When an Airline looks for a candidate they are looking for a certain type of person and looking for certain traits.

One of them is Maturity.

Another is the ability to handle criticism.

From your posts I would suggest these are areas you may want to work on.

As for your Social Media presence - you may want to re-think that as well.

If I was recruiting the first thing I would do is enter your name, e-mail and phone number into a search engine and see what shows up.

How do you think you come across? (I haven't watched any of your videos )

A lot of companies do this now - Millennials want to put their entire lives online - makes it easy to eliminate people.

Some companies value discretion and are very sensitive about their public perception and reputation (sometimes overly so).

I'm familiar with cases where a complaint from a client has resulted in one entire cabin crew being fired and another where a Captain was removed from a contract after a complaint from the client.

Finally - I've failed my share of interviews over the years - I know it's never nice. If it happens - learn from it and move on.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

The issue is with your attitude towards the PFO. You clearly wanted a job at AC. Now that AC sent you that PFO, you changed your story to say regional is better anyway. It's the hypocrisy that people are giving you a hard time for.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

altiplano wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:55 pm mid-list FO and only just WORKING on an ATPL.. that's astonishing...
care to elaborate on this? not sure what you mean. cheers

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

I believe he means that 10 years ago you needed 4000 to 5000 hours and your ATPLs to be hired at Jazz.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

altiplano wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:55 pm I had 5000+ hours command and an ATPL I would have done anything to be an FO on the -8 at Jazz and never could get a call from them.
Honestly I think there was some problem with Jazz's HR or application system back in the day. I could never get a response out of them either but had no problems getting offers for interviews at AC, WestJet, Transat, Porter, Georgian, Cathay, and some more I'm probably forgetting. Not a peep out of Jazz ever and I think I applied more than once.

snowcrest
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by snowcrest »

Eric Janson wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:29 am @CaptainKirk

I guess you can take the man out of South Asia but you can't take South Asia out of the man!
You lost me there, pal.

All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

snowcrest wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:47 pm

You lost me there, pal.
Certain Cultures have certain traits (positive or negative). It's interesting to see these traits remain despite an individual having spent a long time in a different culture.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
snowcrest
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by snowcrest »

Eric Janson wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:47 am

You lost me there, pal.
Certain Cultures have certain traits (positive or negative). It's interesting to see these traits remain despite an individual having spent a long time in a different culture.
I'm not South Asian so hopefully I'm not overstepping my boundary here but...
inferring South Asians are delusional (don't backpeddle, that's exactly what you're inferring) is just plain wrong. I've run into delusional characters of all sorts of races.

Hopefully I'm wrong and you're not being prejudice. :)

All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

snowcrest wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:37 pm
Eric Janson wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:47 am

You lost me there, pal.
I'm not South Asian so hopefully I'm not overstepping my boundary here but...
inferring South Asians are delusional (don't backpeddle, that's exactly what you're inferring) is just plain wrong. I've run into delusional characters of all sorts of races.

Hopefully I'm wrong and you're not being prejudice. :)
I was wondering when this would come up.

I've previously stated that the poster was extremely naive - sadly a common trait in S Asia.

That's a simple statement of fact.

As for Prejudice/Racism - some of the worst examples of this I have ever seen is how people treat each other in some S Asian countries. Openly Racist people are even running some of these countries.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Yes, but Eric you've actually lived and worked extensively in S. Asia, so of course you have to hear criticism from folks who've never done the same... :roll:

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

Spreading love to the above commenters. I log back into into avcan once a week and see some interesting comments. But after this reply I’m logging back off and going back to enjoying life. Aviation can have its ups and downs but I enjoyed it every step of the way from maintenance, to flight dispatching, to flight instructing, to flying 704, to now 705 jet.

All the best in your journey. Feel free to DM me if you’re starting out and need guidance!

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

God bless that you got the PFO, clearly the 10% works

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2