A Field Guide to NOTAMs

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: A Field Guide to NOTAMs

Post by corethatthermal »

What about categorizing the notams like VFR and IFR area and on airport and further arrange them from most relevant to least relevant from new notams to older notams ?
---------- ADS -----------

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

They should put them in the ATIS instead.

I really liked the one where they said you had to descend via the STAR.... that thing where paranoid controllers won’t clear you below the restrictions and most aircraft are VNAV protected anyways.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

How about Nav Canada make something easy for a change and provide a clickable link in the notam box on their flight planning page to the new notam site, instead of having it still let you enter the airport you want notams for and just going to a notam that says there is no more notams here. But shit, they've even made you can even print that off to keep for future reference if you'd like, in case you've forgotten there are no notams there anymore.

fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

Why not list them by categories? Runway closures, runway threshold displacement, taxiway closures, changes to approach minima... something like that. And then sort by relevance within the category. And maybe some colour-coding? And maybe make the info visual. Wouldn't it be nice to open a Jeppesen chart on your EFB, and have it communicate with the NOTAM system and highlight closed runways and taxiways in red?.. And same for the NOTAMs with useless coordinates... do it with SIGMETs too... Ah, one can dream, I suppose.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

And the headings in plain language, along with the NOTAMs themselves.

A selection box that lets you identify your aircraft type, and have NOTAM's auto-select things that are relevant. A Cessna 150 won't care about a ramp weight restriction, for example. Or that the helipad is closed. Or that JetA isn't available.

I agree with pulling all the NOTAM's that have been there forever and don't need to be repeated... 737 Max8, RWY 03 at YYJ, etc.

Return to “General Comments”