Hiring outlook

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Hiring outlook

Post by Yieldermatik »

tps8903 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:23 pm
Yieldermatik wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:14 pm
tps8903 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:06 pm

Your math is wanting.

Flow Speed = Flow + Deferrals + Resignations.

The second two make up for more that just Flow.

If it was just Flow then yeah, it would take forever. But people leave Encore, and believe it or not a lot of people choose to stay when they can flow.

“A lot of people choose to stay when they can flow.” Is this cause of the regional lifestyle? I keep hearing encore is not a career airline unlike Jazz. Is this cause the benefits are not as good as mainline or what? Curious to get the feedback. Thanks.
Some possibly don't want to take a pay cut. Some earn pretty good money in the training department and are happy with their lifestyle where they live. Some might be waiting for something better to come along, ie have iron in the fire at other carriers. Some were waiting to see how the contract at Mainline panned out. Just some of the reasons I've heard. Each to their own. I'm sure others have different reasons. There are people here are genuinely content with the money they earn and the way their life is set up. Each to their own.
Thanks 👍🏻
---------- ADS -----------

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

Yieldermatik wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:14 pm
doiwannabeapilot wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:14 pm

I think the 5+ years flow is more realistic. 80 pilots flowed in 2017. I believe it was less in 2018. It will likely be the same or less in 2019.
I would go with 70 pilots per year.....equals well over 5 years.
As the previous poster said you should thank your lucky stars to be rhs in a Q400 with 1000 hours. And still thankful to flow in the 5-8 years.
Your math is wanting.

If it was just Flow then yeah, it would take forever. But people leave Encore, and believe it or not a lot of people choose to stay when they can flow.

“A lot of people choose to stay when they can flow.” Is this cause of the regional lifestyle? I keep hearing encore is not a career airline unlike Jazz. Is this cause the benefits are not as good as mainline or what? Curious to get the feedback. Thanks.
18 days per month, 12 hour duty days, grooming......regional lifestyle is the best ! who would want to flow !

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

18 days/month? Granted, I have had months where I worked 18 days, this doesn't seem to be the norm anymore (at least out of YYC base for FO's). According to our scheduling statistics, the most days scheduled for an FO in April was 16 days (in YYC). I'm scheduled for 16 days in April myself...Also, if you're a Captain in the training department and you live at your base city, you can be home most nights, make some extra money etc. It's also been a while since I've had a 12 hr day. Maybe I'm just lucky with my schedule. The vast majority of my days are about 8-9 hrs duty....I've noticed the pairings becoming more efficient compared to when I first started about a year and a half ago. Is it perfect? No....But it seems to be getting a little better. Just my 2 cents.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

The FOs might be on easy-street right now, but the CAs are ridden hard and put away wet.

And "a lot defer flow" is a hell of a stretch. A few involved in training at the most.

Also:
JBI wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:18 pm There have also been a few incidents of folks applying for Encore, but then getting asked if they'd be interested in mainline.
If that's actually happening, this bizarro world is too much for me :rolleyes:

Citationdriver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Citationdriver »

Any word on Encore hiring or interview calls from time when résumé submitted? Are they interviewing? Is there ground schools scheduled? I know know they are interviewing for mainline but strictly YYZ base and Swoop.

Yieldermatik
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Yieldermatik »

Citationdriver wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:25 pm Any word on Encore hiring or interview calls from time when résumé submitted? Are they interviewing? Is there ground schools scheduled? I know know they are interviewing for mainline but strictly YYZ base and Swoop.
Some people have said they’ve gotten calls for interviews days after applying. They are actively interviewing as a friend of mine just got flown to Calgary a few days ago. They told him they have ground schools in May and June and that both bases are open, Calgary and Toronto. I wonder what sort of changes will come about with the new agreement.

DaveP
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by DaveP »

Hi guys!
Courses are ongoing and simulator availability is a bottle neck for us. With that - interviews are ongoing and we are filling the courses monthly.

Very happy for the folks at Encore with the new agreement! Today was the first road show!

Awesome news in there with regards to flow (60%)
And some other nuggets by way of no pay cut when you flow to WestJet!

Very cool.
Congratulations! Over to the pilot group now - and see how the vote goes!
Happy for you guys.
Dave

InSanes
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by InSanes »

DaveP wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:15 pm Hi guys!
Courses are ongoing and simulator availability is a bottle neck for us. With that - interviews are ongoing and we are filling the courses monthly.

Very happy for the folks at Encore with the new agreement! Today was the first road show!

Awesome news in there with regards to flow (60%)
And some other nuggets by way of no pay cut when you flow to WestJet!

Very cool.
Congratulations! Over to the pilot group now - and see how the vote goes!
Happy for you guys.
Dave
flow minimum at 50%, and the company has been flowing the minimum.
no one list anymore.

YYZGDP
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YYZGDP »

Hiring outlook = go look somewhere else guys. There will be plenty of availability at Encore, but the one list is gone, and so is the morale.
May as well be a separate company. Oh wait.. it always was.

Alkoa
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Alkoa »

Do yourself a favour, don't waste your time at Encore. You have better chance to be hired at AC or even WJ mainline if you fly for AC express. If you are flying 703, just stay where you are a bit longer, apply WJ mainline at 1500 hours and skip the whole Encore mess. There is absolutely no reason to come at Encore as there is no flow, no one list, low wages and no future. They are losing pilots and experience fast, sadly!

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Alkoa wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:50 pm Do yourself a favour, don't waste your time at Encore. You have better chance to be hired at AC or even WJ mainline if you fly for AC express. If you are flying 703, just stay where you are a bit longer, apply WJ mainline at 1500 hours and skip the whole Encore mess. There is absolutely no reason to come at Encore as there is no flow, no one list, low wages and no future. They are losing pilots and experience fast, sadly!
On the other hand, Encore is a company where you can spend several years, get paid $40,000 base salary, fly relatively new airplanes with people who have good personalities, and have a guaranteed job at WestJet mainline.

Even with the one list being out the window, we're still better off here than at Jazz. At Jazz you have a guaranteed interview, but an interview means nothing. At Jazz, you don't find out where you're based until your second day of training. At Jazz the newest guy gets all of the shit.

At Encore, as a first year FO, I am bidding for one day pairings and getting them. I got both of my desired vacation bids, Christmas and New years. I am happy here and, even with the shit going on, I am still in a significantly better place than I was last year.

If in five or ten years I can't flow to mainline, I'll have more than enough experience for AC to hire me on no problem.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

This is quite possibly one of the dumbest posts here. Stay at Encore, work 18 days a month for low pay and get extended all the time to hopefully flow to the bottom of the list in 6 years and start over.

Or go to jazz where they have a better contract and pay for a career. Yes you interview at AC mainline however 90% of interviewees get to go.

Better idea, go to Encore and get out ASAP.
plausiblyannonymous wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:59 am
On the other hand, Encore is a company where you can spend several years, get paid $40,000 base salary, fly relatively new airplanes with people who have good personalities, and have a guaranteed job at WestJet mainline.

Even with the one list being out the window, we're still better off here than at Jazz. At Jazz you have a guaranteed interview, but an interview means nothing. At Jazz, you don't find out where you're based until your second day of training. At Jazz the newest guy gets all of the shit.

At Encore, as a first year FO, I am bidding for one day pairings and getting them. I got both of my desired vacation bids, Christmas and New years. I am happy here and, even with the shit going on, I am still in a significantly better place than I was last year.

If in five or ten years I can't flow to mainline, I'll have more than enough experience for AC to hire me on no problem.

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

flyinhigh wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:09 pm This is quite possibly one of the dumbest posts here. Stay at Encore, work 18 days a month for low pay and get extended all the time to hopefully flow to the bottom of the list in 6 years and start over.

Or go to jazz where they have a better contract and pay for a career. Yes you interview at AC mainline however 90% of interviewees get to go.

Work 18 days a month?

I have 18 days off this month with no vacation.

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

Yeah 40k/year to fly a Q400 with no seniority with mainline, and no flow. Sweet.

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:19 am
flyinhigh wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:09 pm This is quite possibly one of the dumbest posts here. Stay at Encore, work 18 days a month for low pay and get extended all the time to hopefully flow to the bottom of the list in 6 years and start over.

Work 18 days a month?

doiwannabeapilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by doiwannabeapilot »

What's the flow speed now ?
Still 3 years and 1 month for a brand new FO ?
tps8903 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:53 pm

Hiring is starting again in April. I asked management for a friend who is waiting.

Current flow as of last week is 3 years and 1 month.

I have been keeping tabs on attrition at Encore by crossing names of the list at Encore as the lists are updated and comparing it with flow. As it stands the list moves 15 names a month between flow to Encore, Swoop, other airlines and differing bids. Granted any and all of those deferred folks could Flow at any point slowing the list down.

Using the ACTUAL numbers and not taking into account growth, the current flow time for a new hire will be approximately 2 years and 11 months by time their number is called for mainline. Its a one year wait for Swoop (internal rule) if you should want to work there. In reality the Encore list will be exhausted for Swoop flow by the next bid which means you can go as soon as the company lets you.

Economies change however, but in the last year those are the numbers.
I think the 5+ years flow is more realistic. 80 pilots flowed in 2017. I believe it was less in 2018. It will likely be the same or less in 2019.
As the previous poster said you should thank your lucky stars to be rhs in a Q400 with 1000 hours. And still thankful to flow in the 5-8 years.
Your math is wanting.

skyhighh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by skyhighh »

doiwannabeapilot wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:52 pm What's the flow speed now ?

Your math is wanting.

Nobody knows. For the 2nd time in 3 years WestJet stopped the flow. Any HR or manager telling you anything about flow time at Encore is BSing you. Plus with Onex buying the entire group, who knows what will happen to Encore.

LennyLeonard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LennyLeonard »

Your math is wanting.

Last i heard 4 years.

LicensedToThrill
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LicensedToThrill »

The majority of FO's I have talked to have said the lifestyle is relaxed. They are getting for the most part the schedule they want.

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

The last time the flow was three years was about 2 years ago. Simple math now makes it easy.

550 pilots / 75 (this is about what flows per year) flow per year = 7 years.

Subtract the resignations and the few that flow than that number might come down to about 5, maybe 6 years.
You must be an FO or the only exception. I have many friends at Encore and not one of them has 18 days off a month.

Every Capt I know there is working their bag off in days and getting extended all the time. There are FO's I know who are also NOT taking the upgrade as they see how hard their counterparts are working and say it's not worth it. They're riding it out till AC, AT, SG come calling.
Work 18 days a month?

Gear Jerker
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Gear Jerker »

flyinhigh wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:36 am The last time the flow was three years was about 2 years ago. Simple math now makes it easy.

550 pilots / 75 (this is about what flows per year) flow per year = 7 years.

Subtract the resignations and the few that flow than that number might come down to about 5, maybe 6 years.
You must be an FO or the only exception. I have many friends at Encore and not one of them has 18 days off a month.

Every Capt I know there is working their bag off in days and getting extended all the time. There are FO's I know who are also NOT taking the upgrade as they see how hard their counterparts are working and say it's not worth it. They're riding it out till AC, AT, SG come calling.
Work 18 days a month?

G'day

Just to add some nuance and facts:

Due to a shortage of Captains in YYZ, some scheduling changes were made. To say that every captain works 18 days a month and gets extended and cold called on their days off, is not accurate as a blanket statement.

Just looking at latest scheduling statistics, Captains averaged 13 days off for November, YYC FO's averaged 13 days off, YYZ FO's averaged 17 days off.

My first year as an FO, my T4 was over 60k.

It is true that guys were deferring upgrades this summer. That added to the shortage, seems to have stabilized again.

I do get cold called once or twice a month on days off. I don't answer the phone. Nobody calls again, I have no obligation to answer. I can always call them ahead of time and tell them not to call me.

I have been extended multiple times. The vast majority of pairings I do not get extended.

Speaking with friends of mine at Jazz, various bases various equipment various positions; its the same sh@@ different pile.

Yes, the one list is a mess right now. It's being worked on.

Generally unless you're an entrepreneur or heir to a fortune or some special case... everybody has a job. There are pros and cons, but this is by far the best job I've had. It was worse when I started in 2016. It's gotten a lot better. Don't believe what everything you read on avcanada, folks.

Cheers

Look, it's f***in Patrick Swayze and Reveen!

Return to “WestJet Encore”