Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jazz Approach

Post by shawnthesheep »

https://www.cae.com/civil-aviation/beco ... z-approach

First Cadetship in Canada!

Conditional offer of employment before you start the program

Graduate with frozen ATPL + CRJ type rating.
---------- ADS -----------

Captain X
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Jazz Approach

Post by Captain X »

Apply with Resume, and a Bank draft :shock:

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

shawnthesheep wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:59 pm https://www.cae.com/civil-aviation/beco ... z-approach

First Cadetship in Canada!

Conditional offer of employment before you start the program

Graduate with frozen ATPL + CRJ type rating.
I didn't think we needed pilots THAT bad

LegoMan
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by LegoMan »

Clearly a new revenue stream for Jazz and CAE.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

That's so European of them.

How long before we see the self funded type ratings pop up at other companies :?:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

What's everyone's guess for how much it'll cost?

135K?

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

I’ve always said this would happen. It’s the next logical step for Canadian aviation. Most of the other countries you don’t have to “pay your dues” up North or work as a flight instructor. You simply finish your training and get on with an airline in a mentor ship role. Sit as a Second officer and learn by watching for 5 years. Then work as an FO for another 5 years then CA.

I do think this will be good for everyone in aviation as it will attract more people into this profession.

Last edited by CaptainKirk on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

Wait, they're going to make people pay for this?

I figured it would just be a 5 year bond or something.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

CaptainKirk wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:57 pm I’ve always said this would happen. It’s the next logical step for Canadian aviation. Most of the other countries you don’t have to “pay your dues” up North or work as a flight instructor. You simply finish your training and get on with an airline in a mentor ship role. Sit as a Second officer and learn by watching for 5 years. Then work as an FO for another 5 years then CA.

I do think this will be good for everyone in aviation as it will attract more people into this profession.
no. you just "pay" obscene amounts of money to get a job.

great hot take

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Still no clue how people will get the PIC time to begin PIC-US, or get the actual ATPL. Nice steady stream of career FOs.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

So does Jazz management figure that the real shortage of pilots will begin in about 18 months (since program states 18 months to completion) if they are setting a cadet program now?

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

While I am not surprised to see this this morning, I am of the opinion we (as a profession) should head the other way.

In other words, I would have liked to see TC take a stance and require that all ATPL PIC requirements are fulfilled as a pre-requisite for writing either the A's or the IATRA.

Yeah I know it would make it tougher for the top end operations to recruit FOs, but it would definetly give a break to the tier 3s. It would also provide the tier 1 and 2 with more experienced pilots without the requirement to run a PICUS program (training depts are already swamped even without PICUS programs). Not likely to happen however with things heading where they are atm.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Kinda surprised at this. Jazz is going to run low of experienced FO to upgrade sooner or later. These guys and girls will have no chance at upgrading for a long time but maybe that’s what they want since most are leaving for AC when they get the ATPL and 2000 hrs. I can’t imagine how much all this would cost but it would for sure be in the 6 figures.

Let’s Go Brandon
LicensedToThrill
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LicensedToThrill »

You better believe DEC is coming to Jazz...

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

I think they might train them to 150 PIC. Very high possibility that they will meet PICUS requirements before starting
goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:27 pm Still no clue how people will get the PIC time to begin PIC-US, or get the actual ATPL. Nice steady stream of career FOs.
Outlaw58 wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:03 pm While I am not surprised to see this this morning, I am of the opinion we (as a profession) should head the other way.

In other words, I would have liked to see TC take a stance and require that all ATPL PIC requirements are fulfilled as a pre-requisite for writing either the A's or the IATRA.

Yeah I know it would make it tougher for the top end operations to recruit FOs, but it would definetly give a break to the tier 3s. It would also provide the tier 1 and 2 with more experienced pilots without the requirement to run a PICUS program (training depts are already swamped even without PICUS programs). Not likely to happen however with things heading where they are atm.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

CaptainKirk wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:57 pm I’ve always said this would happen. It’s the next logical step for Canadian aviation. Most of the other countries you don’t have to “pay your dues” up North or work as a flight instructor. You simply finish your training and get on with an airline in a mentor ship role. Sit as a Second officer and learn by watching for 5 years. Then work as an FO for another 5 years then CA.

How exactly will attracting more people into the industry be “good for everyone”? Canada has some of the worst WAWCONs in the first world. If there was to be a larger surplus of pilots that would get worse.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Great for those who go through it, but I have to agree that we wont be able to negotiate anything better if the'yre getting people like that..

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

Hangry wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:33 pm

no. you just "pay" obscene amounts of money to get a job.

great hot take
Is an instructor rating free? I'd say anyone capable of becoming an FO would easily make 50k a year in another field, you give up years of your life to pay your dues making shit wages and giving up a job that'd make you at least 50k a year.

Even if this is 100K it probably equals out when you consider opportunity cost

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

Every generation has seen a benefit that the previous generation hasn’t seen. This is the best time to be alive in all of history.

Let’s talk about aviation. I feel like most people I talk to aren’t interested in being a pilot. One of the reasons is the very high barrier for entry with accumulating thousands of hours to finally fly for a major. There are other reasons too, some are misconceptions about needing perfect vision to fly or being good at match etc.

However,
This cadet program would be a great incentive to someone in high school looking at a possible career in aviation. As in a quicker career progression and ability to do fun work for a living. Most of us got into this business to escape a desk job.

As for the WAWCON pay, that’s another debate.

shawnthesheep
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by shawnthesheep »

CaptainKirk wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:02 pm Every generation has seen a benefit that the previous generation hasn’t seen. This is the best time to be alive in all of history.

Let’s talk about aviation. I feel like most people I talk to aren’t interested in being a pilot. One of the reasons is the very high barrier for entry with accumulating thousands of hours to finally fly for a major. There are other reasons too, some are misconceptions about needing perfect vision to fly or being good at match etc.

However,
This cadet program would be a great incentive to someone in high school looking at a possible career in aviation. As in a quicker career progression and ability to do fun work for a living. Most of us got into this business to escape a desk job.

As for the WAWCON pay, that’s another debate.
You have to realize

You need a post secondary diploma/degree to apply to this program

Read the requirements.

Return to “General Comments”