ATC beyond NAV Canada

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

ATC beyond NAV Canada

Post by ProfessionalATC »

Hello all

I am trying to be an ATC but i dont seem to be having any luck getting through with Nav Canada, I failed the FEAST recently,
I have checked out the military and I have to do a bit of waiting before I'll be in consideration,
but what other options do I have to become an air traffic controller, this is my dream job and I want to do
nothing but it seems I am only facing roadblocks. I am willing to go to any other country as long as they accept
Canadians, all input will be appreciated.

Thank You
---------- ADS -----------

BoardManPaid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: ATC beyond NAV Canada

Post by BoardManPaid »

Not gunna be the answer you're looking for but outside of the military there's no other way in Canada. I've also never heard of any other country training someone who doesn't already have a license.

You can re apply like every 18 months but if you can't get past the initial testing it may not be for you.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I believe Serco does the ATC in Goose Bay, not sure if they do it anywhere else and no idea how you would become a controller with them.

whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whatisttv »

I'm sorry that you weren't successful in the application.

Would you ever be interested in becoming a railway traffic controller?

Edit: Seems like there's a separate testing process for FSS. Perhaps you'd want to apply for that, get your foot in the door then apply for a transfer to ATC down the road?

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

whatisttv wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:52 pm I'm sorry that you weren't successful in the application.

Would you ever be interested in becoming a railway traffic controller?

Edit: Seems like there's a separate testing process for FSS. Perhaps you'd want to apply for that, get your foot in the door then apply for a transfer to ATC down the road?
Rail traffic controller is not a bad job but its not where my passion is, but thanks for the suggestion.

Tallayega
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tallayega »

How old are you? If you made it to Feast and failed, that's not a great sign. If you're still young I'd say start pursuing something else and try again in a few years. A lot can change in a couple years, I don't think I would have made it through feast if I did it when I was younger. Another option is to try for an FSS job and then transfer internally later on. I'm pretty sure FSS go through a different application process, so you may have more luck there.

Plane_sight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Plane_sight »

Certainly don't feel bad if you didn't make it through FEAST. Many, many don't. You can wait the 18 months (used to be 12) and then try again. As for trying in other countries, unfortunately, that won't work. They only hire their own citizens to go through the program. There is a company in the Emirates that offers training courses that foreigners can take, but they're expensive, not valid in other countries and completion of the course does not come with a job guarantee.

There is the military route but the salary is surprisingly low. I think it was around $50k when I checked awhile back.

whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whatisttv »

Plane_sight wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:49 pm Certainly don't feel bad if you didn't make it through FEAST. Many, many don't. You can wait the 18 months (used to be 12) and then try again. As for trying in other countries, unfortunately, that won't work. They only hire their own citizens to go through the program. There is a company in the Emirates that offers training courses that foreigners can take, but they're expensive, not valid in other countries and completion of the course does not come with a job guarantee.

There is the military route but the salary is surprisingly low. I think it was around $50k when I checked awhile back.
It's more than $50k for sure. Check out the Canadian Armed Forces' website. Also, i think the salary in comparison is lower because the military doesn't deal with a lot of traffic volume.

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

whatisttv wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:54 pm
Plane_sight wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:49 pm Certainly don't feel bad if you didn't make it through FEAST. Many, many don't. You can wait the 18 months (used to be 12) and then try again. As for trying in other countries, unfortunately, that won't work. They only hire their own citizens to go through the program. There is a company in the Emirates that offers training courses that foreigners can take, but they're expensive, not valid in other countries and completion of the course does not come with a job guarantee.

It's more than $50k for sure. Check out the Canadian Armed Forces' website. Also, i think the salary in comparison is lower because the military doesn't deal with a lot of traffic volume.
I did check it out and it is approximately 50k to start. In the military you get paid based on your rank rather than your job unless
you are a pilot, doctor, lawyer or dentist and there are a few others.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Any chance you could find a way to the United States? Find a partner down south, perhaps?

BoardManPaid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BoardManPaid »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:47 pm Any chance you could find a way to the United States? Find a partner down south, perhaps?
You need to be a natural born citizen to work IFR traffic with the FAA. They have independent contract control towers that are privately run but they take people with VFR licences. They dont train people off the street.

Mayor_McCheese
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mayor_McCheese »

BoardManPaid wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:53 pm
CL-Skadoo! wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:47 pm Any chance you could find a way to the United States? Find a partner down south, perhaps?
You need to be a natural born citizen to work IFR traffic with the FAA. They have independent contract control towers that are privately run but they take people with VFR licences. They dont train people off the street.
Don't have to be "natural born" citizen to become an ATC, but you do have to be a US Citizen.

From FAA website:

Minimum Requirements
Be a United States citizen
Be age 30 or under (on the closing date of the application period)
Pass a medical examination
Pass a security investigation
Pass the FAA air traffic pre-employment test
Speak English clearly enough to be understood over communications equipment
Have three years of progressively responsible work experience, or a Bachelor's degree, or a combination of post-secondary education and work experience that totals three years
Be willing to relocate to an FAA facility based on agency staffing needs

whatisttv
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by whatisttv »

ProfessionalATC wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:34 pm
whatisttv wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:54 pm

I did check it out and it is approximately 50k to start. In the military you get paid based on your rank rather than your job unless
you are a pilot, doctor, lawyer or dentist and there are a few others.
Ok, maybe 50K while you're training but I know military controllers that once they're checked out, they are a rank of Lt earning 60K. Then within 3 years, get promoted to Captain for $70k which isnt all too bad. But i'm assuming you're not interested? I hear the military ATC is desperate for people (probably because no one wants to live in remote areas for $70-80k). And once you have a military ATC license (tower and/or terminal), you can transfer over to Nav Canada. I think almost directly to OJT.

JVader
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JVader »

Wrong, Nav doesn’t care about a military license, you’ll have to apply and go through the same process all over again.

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

JVader wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:57 pm Wrong, Nav doesn’t care about a military license, you’ll have to apply and go through the same process all over again.
Wrong. They are dealt with on a case by case basis. They need to contact the applicable regional training manager directly. We have seen this approach where I work.
whatisttv wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:12 pmI hear the military ATC is desperate for people (probably because no one wants to live in remote areas for $70-80k). And once you have a military ATC license (tower and/or terminal), you can transfer over to Nav Canada. I think almost directly to OJT.
Comox, Cold Lake, Moose Jaw, Trenton, Bagotville and Greenwood can hardly be considered remote areas. Goose Bay is certainly remote but that is now done by Serco. As for training, with the exception of non complex towers for VFR, not even NavCanada controllers go straight to OJT (Never for IFR).

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

JVader wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:57 pm Wrong, Nav doesn’t care about a military license, you’ll have to apply and go through the same process all over again.
This is 100% correct !

kevenv
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by kevenv »

ProfessionalATC wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:55 pm
This is 100% correct !
Considering my reply above this is an interesting reply from someone not in the company.

BoardManPaid
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BoardManPaid »

I personally know a former military controller who had a speciality specific course run just for him. Its 100% on a case by case, FIR by FIR basis. No one goes directly to OJT in any scenario. Some classroom/simulator time is always required.

As the poster above me mentions alot of people seem confident in what they post without even working for the company..

ProfessionalATC
Rank 2
Rank 2

BoardManPaid wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:37 am I personally know a former military controller who had a speciality specific course run just for him. Its 100% on a case by case, FIR by FIR basis. No one goes directly to OJT in any scenario. Some classroom/simulator time is always required.

As the poster above me mentions alot of people seem confident in what they post without even working for the company..
Ok well this is good to hear. I've never heard of this before and thats why i agreed with Jvader.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

An ex-military guy was on my YYZ Tower course. They ran a very brief basic course for him (mainly NavCanada phraseology vs military) a few weeks before the YYZ course started. I'm unsure if he had to go through the same interview process as someone off the street, but he definitely didn't have to complete the whole basic VFR course like the rest of us did.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”