One List

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Gerry Schwartz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: One List

Post by Gerry Schwartz »

cloak wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:05 am
Oh I see. So the MEC knows best? That's ironic because WJ pilots joined ALPA to move away from papa knows best scenario! The MEC shared in an email on May 10th that it will respect the vote results, and then on the 14th it shared that even though the result was negative, it will continue to negotiate, before there could be any "survey". That doesn't sound very democratic!

And for your information, unions cannot simply follow the will of the majority if it causes harm to another member or members.
Actually, "the duty of fair representation requires a union to treat bargaining unit members fairly and honestly, in a manner that is not arbitrary, discriminatory or in bad faith." (Google Duty of Fair Representation, took me 45 seconds) The will of the majority will almost always mean that some members of the a union are 'harmed' or worse off than other members. And for your information unions can do exactly that!

So what's with the Daddy issues? No one said the MEC knows best. I said that the MEC publicizing all the survey results is not a smart negotiating tactic. Our MEC had outlined right after the vote that there had been a very significant outpouring of support for the idea of a One List but there was concerns about the wording and bump down language. Based on that, they did surveys which they've clearly outlined in their Comms that demonstrate support for the PTA and, as they've also outlined in their e-mails, an increase in take home pay. skyhighh has it right. The new PTA is an improvement over the old one. I was at the recent road show and it was informative.

I don't like getting involved in this stuff. I want to go work and then go home to my family. But, this is an important vote for our pilot group and your gibberish is just wrong.
---------- ADS -----------

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

This keeps coming up in this topic. It's not industry standard.

You guys make it quite easy come time to negotiate. All management has to do is read this drivel and see the working group is ok with JUST industry standard and ANYTHING outside that just won't fly.

Wouldn't it be nice to set the bar and move industry standard in a way the even AC has to increase there WAWCON, thereby increasing yours again the next round? Or would you rather the pilots at Flair to have the balls to say FU to a company and increase it for you?
Impact wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:15 am Never was a supporter of the "one list" concept in which one carries their WJE DOH to mainline. It wasn't industry standard, and was bound to implode eventually. Was a strong supporter of "flow" however.

Nothing personal against Encore pilots, but expecting to bypass OTS hires at a mainline is not on.

Reinforcer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Reinforcer »

I’ve been following this situation unfold and figured I’d chime in with my 2 cents.

For the Encore pilots hired pre-May 2019, I understand the frustrations and rightfully so. This is not about your mainline peers voting down a one-list, but more so about the company arbitrarily changing the rules half way through the game. As far as I’m concerned, this matter should not even be up for a vote and if I was involved in your pilot representation I’d be hiring the best law firms to take this matter to court. I couldn’t give a rat’s if a one-list is industry standard, if it’s better, if it’s worse, or whatever the case may be. This is something that was promised to you, in writing, and now it is being taken away. There are legal ramifications to that and I would strongly urge the pilot group to look into it. It should not be up for a vote (for which only mainline pilots voted, mind you). As for the pilots hired post-May 2019, well, they knew what they are getting themselves into and frustrated or not, industry standard or not,it is what it is. And many of my peers on this forum have used the Jazz/AC as a point of reference and they are correct. Nobody at Jazz is getting an AC seniority number (but then again they weren’t promised one from the beginning)

Now sticking to the Jazz/AC comparison, some of you have claimed that the negotiating committee at AC would never approve of a one list so thereby we shouldn’t at Westjet either. Let me be clear: ACPA represents pilots employed by Air Canada, not Chorus aviation. Also, ACPA would be in favour of a one list if it was done right from the beginning but unfortunately you cannot turn back time and it is now too late to amalgamate these 2 groups. But what ACPA will desperately try to do is to keep a one list when/if the Transat pilots have migrated over. The goal is one list, one working conditions. Anything other than that and off to arbitration it goes.

Finally, I’d like to point out and call out some of the childish and naive behaviour of these Encore professionals. Don’t get me wrong, I stand by you guys and feel the events of the past few months have been unfair, unethical, and just outright illegal. But also don’t forget that this is a job and no one will feel sorry for you. It’s a dog eat dog cat eat cat kinda world out there so you better find a way to make encore a better place to work.

For the longest time Westjet has successfully brain washed its employee groups into thinking that they genuinely care about their people. It’s time to wake up and smell the coffee. Westjet is a business no different than AC, Flair, even Tim Hortons. Westjet doesn’t give a crap about you, me, or the flying public. Don’t be fooled by these warm fuzzy TV ads claiming they treat people like people. If you Encorians (and Westjetters) can get that through your head, it’ll be a much happier work environment.

I always got a laugh when my fellow pilots at WJ and encore used to say ‘I take my job seriously but not myself’. Well, if you don’t take yourself seriously and crack jokes on the PA and clean the airplane on every turn, guess what? Nobody is gonna take you seriously either.

A new chapter, a new beginning. Look at yourself in the mirror and start acting like a professional pilot and demand to be treated like a professional. Things will get better I give you my word.

Best of luck,

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

I am happy to say that, based off of what I have read here, all of the concerns that mainline pilots had with the original proposal have been addressed.

Now all we need is for all pilots to read, ask questions, and vote.

FlyYYC
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by FlyYYC »

skyhighh wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:34 am I love when mainline pilots talk about the entitlement of Encore pilots. When they got hired they were told by company, their mainline peers, etc... That there was a one list and that after a few years they will flow to mainline with their seniority attached to it. Back then it was the only way to get to mainline as WJ wasn't hiring. So, pilots did it because WJ was where they wanted to be. (Not everyone wants to go to Air Canada).
Since then, flow has stopped multiple times (adding many years at Encore) and their peers at mainline took away the one list because they either can't read or didn't care enough to vote (Not counting the OTS voting no for personal agenda).
Now there is a PTA vote that brings more cash to the mainline pilots, fix the language of the old LOU and provide exactly everything that was "missing" in the old LOU. And what do people say? "Not enough, company is doing something shady, lets vote NO, that will teach them a lesson".
The new PTA gives mainline pilots everything they wanted on the last vote and still, it is not enough! Mainline pilots want to leverage the company, not with their career... but the career of their peers because they think they deserve better. Who is entitled now? Any mainline pilot saying they want to vote NO to help the Encore pilot group is full of cow poop. The Encore pilots are and have been clear on what they want... Which is what they were promised upon hiring by management AND WJ pilots. If the WJ MEC of NC can't negotiate without the leverage of the One List... well maybe these guys should be replaced or the WJ pilots should show more unity towards their MEC/LEC.

As for experience at WJ... this one grinds my gears... Most captain at Encore has 5.000+ hours, extensive 705 experience, flew for many years WJ colors, WJ SOP, WJ passengers... shared all benefits with mainline (How many of the WJ pilots got GREAT profit share, enjoyed a rise of share price at 20% paycheck matched at 100%), while Encore got peanuts... But to the eyes of some WJ pilots they are inexperienced entitled 20 years old... You guys are hiring 2000h pilots.... ANY pilot flowing to mainline from Encore has double that, double the experience and know more about WJ than any OTS. And still you'd rather help the new kid on the block instead of the ones who fought for you, with you and feed your planes. What kind of mentality is that?
And yes Encore will soon be hiring 250h pilots... but by the time they flow to mainline they will have more hours and more experience than any OTS you're hiring now.

Now about SWOOP... Everyone bitch about Swoop and the working conditions there. If the PTA get voted down... what do you think will happen to Encore pilots? Well... they will have no choice but go to Swoop because there is no way the flow reopen to mainline any time soon because of the lack of Captains, the incoming fatigue rules and future duty rigs. By voting NO to the PTA you will shoot yourself in the foot big time...

So to the Cloak, FlyYYC, Impact, etc... stop your uneducated propaganda, stop calling the Encore pilots entitled inexperienced kids and look at yourself in the mirror because the only entitled ones destroying this industry, moral and unity is you. It's not because your plane is slightly bigger than a Q400 that you are better than them. You ONLY fly a 737, I'm sorry but you're not that special. It's an entry level airplane in most countries.

Anyway... No hard feelings, just sad to see how Encore is being treated but I guess it's the industry, always trying to eat their young. The reason why Canadian working conditions are so shitty, airlines know that pilots will turn on each-others for

I said in my post that the pilots already on the list prior to the vote should stay on the list. Not sure how I am spreading uneducated propaganda but sure...

elite
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by elite »

I have been following this saga and the general airline industry in Canada from the sidelines and must say it seems counter-productive and short-sighted to have one list between an airline and its regional(s). At first glance it seems to benefit the airline to keep WAWCON low at the regionals, and the regional pilots for getting a seniority number. In the long run though, it works against both. It makes things complicated for the airline as generally speaking pilots with less experience locate higher on the seniority. I know there are exceptions, but generally speaking. It doesn't help the regional pilots either because it delays high-earning years. It also generally limits the number of flows which further complicates things for both.

I recall Air Canada and its regionals went through similar challenges which created many problems. This creates artificial pressure in the market that for instance in this environment of unprecedented growth and pilot shortage, pilots in Canada have been unable to secure industry standard (forget industry leading) contracts. Even Air Canada where the corporation was able to secure favourable long term contract with very low pay for four years, seem to have backfired that they can't find WB FOs. There is such a thing as too good a contract, and in this case the corporation has too good a deal which is not sustainable and will have to correct, and when it does correct, it will do so rather violently disrupting the industry.

In the grand scheme of things and for the whole industry, it is much better to negotiate a contract for any airline or its regionals that can largely stand on its own, and this one, will tip the balance too far to one side.

Gerry Schwartz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gerry Schwartz »

elite wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:11 am I have been following this saga and the general airline industry in Canada from the sidelines
Perhaps you should remain on the sidelines then. Sometimes it is best to be silent and be thought of a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

Last edited by Gerry Schwartz on Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gerry Schwartz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gerry Schwartz »

double post

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Gerry Schwartz wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:50 pm
elite wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:11 am I have been following this saga and the general airline industry in Canada from the sidelines
Perhaps you should remain on the sidelines then. Sometimes it is best to be silent and be thought of a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
+1 to the staying on the sideline

-1 to calling him a fool.

He's not a fool. He just doesn't have the opportunity to have the experience that we have in the matter. He sees it as he's told.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

With the atrocious contracts, no wonder few people wants to be pilots

elite
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by elite »

Ah, insult the opponent into giving up approach?! A product of the generation of social media; those who lack the social skills to actually engage people into a respectable debate? Perhaps also one of the ones that through threw a hissy fit and banned WestJet pilots into the jumpseat?!

I say again, there is no good reason to have a one list with a regional carrier for a major airline because it lowers WAWCON and while it may seem like a good idea for the company at first, it will backfire into major correction and disruption. Various parties for their selfish reasons may promote it, but it doesn't help the industry in general. If you or anyone else has any good arguments for it that goes beyond promises made to you I'm all ears for a respectable debate. Life is full of surprises and things sometimes change. Take marriage for example, the parties make great gestures and promises to each other which sometimes change. If WestJet wants to become a major global airline, it needs to attract experienced pilots. Also, those who do not learn from past mistakes (AC and Jazz, other US carriers) are doomed to repeat them.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

elite wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:33 am
Ah, insult the opponent into giving up approach?! A product of the generation of social media; those who lack the social skills to actually engage people into a respectable debate? Perhaps also one of the ones that through threw a hissy fit and banned WestJet pilots into the jumpseat?!

I say again, there is no good reason to have a one list with a regional carrier for a major airline because it lowers WAWCON and while it may seem like a good idea for the company at first, it will backfire into major correction and disruption. Various parties for their selfish reasons may promote it, but it doesn't help the industry in general. If you or anyone else has any good arguments for it that goes beyond promises made to you I'm all ears for a respectable debate. Life is full of surprises and things sometimes change. Take marriage for example, the parties make great gestures and promises to each other which sometimes change. If WestJet wants to become a major global airline, it needs to attract experienced pilots. Also, those who do not learn from past mistakes (AC and Jazz, other US carriers) are doomed to repeat them.
I’ll ask you a question then, what do you think is worse for the industry, two groups of pilots who support each other who are contributing to the bottom line of the same company or a group of pilots who supported one group and then were thrown out of the group?
WJ pilots have scope but my understanding is Encore can have Jets, I imagine they might now be motivated to take some Jet flying from the mainline pilots.
I wonder if there is an example of this happening in the history of Canada aviation?

George Taylor
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by George Taylor »

[/quote]
WJ pilots have scope but my understanding is Encore can have Jets, I imagine they might now be motivated to take some Jet flying from the mainline pilots.
[/quote]

Um, Encore pilots have ZERO say in the equipment they operate. That's a few steps above their pay grade. Quit with the threats.

lostaviator
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by lostaviator »

And there's a seat limit to what Encore can operate. Not many jets would make the restriction.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

In spite of all the noise about doom and gloom and shortage at Encore, according to the MEC the numbers that went from there to AC or WJ/WO to AC are about the same. Pilots will ultimately go where they like and the one list is not the panacea to pilot shortage.

Last edited by cloak on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

All the arguing and mud slinging aside. The road shows are done and the new PTA vote began today, so we will soon have an answer. If I was able to bet one of my mediocre paycheques on the results I’d put it on NO.

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

When does the vote close?

tbayav8er
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tbayav8er »

bob99 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:29 pm When does the vote close?

December 12th at 1000 EST.

sstaurus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sstaurus »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:17 pm All the arguing and mud slinging aside. The road shows are done and the new PTA vote began today, so we will soon have an answer. If I was able to bet one of my mediocre paycheques on the results I’d put it on NO.
I'll be optimistic and say yes. There's a noisy minority that just makes it sound like it's headed for a no.

elite
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by elite »

mbav8r wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:37 pm I’ll ask you a question then, what do you think is worse for the industry, two groups of pilots who support each other who are contributing to the bottom line of the same company or a group of pilots who supported one group and then were thrown out of the group?
I wonder if there is an example of this happening in the history of Canada aviation?
If you like semantics, the other side of the coin is that it's also difficult to retard the progress of existing pilots in a company for pilots in a different bargaining unit? Yeah, promises were made, but so did 50% of all marriages that end up in divorce. Things change. Frankly that was a bad idea anyway because it kept wawcon at Encore low.

And what you say may happen, or as someone mentioned it could also go a different way if Encore becomes too problematic, as was the case with Jazz and AC when it contracted Sky. This happens in other countries too, including the U.S. They usually have more than one regional. And how do you suppose U.S carriers attract pilots? First they pay them, then they offer them flow to mainline at BOTL. Many companies represented by ALPA too. That's a more lasting solution as opposed to robbing Peter to pay Paul!

Return to “WestJet”