Guelph airpark (flight school?)

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by marakii »

Any potential for a flight school at the Guelph airpark?
---------- ADS -----------

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Guelph airpark (flight school?)

Post by B208 »

Used to be one

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

B208 wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:06 pmUsed to be one
So there’s hope

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

Not very likely in the near future. There was an off shoot for Brampton but with the shortage of C172s and Instructors, many flight schools have closed or having great trouble holding onto Instructors.

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

It's what...15 miles to YKF? I would be very surprised.

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

If you had your own plane you could likely get a freelancer off of WWFC to do your training over in Guelph. 152s are still economical.

fleet16b
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by fleet16b »

Lately we have been hearing rumblings that there may be a small flight school in the works
Some reno work has been going on in the office and classroom areas .
No other info available at this time

...isn't he the best pilot you've ever seen?....Yeah he is ....except when I'm shaving.........
haselcheck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by haselcheck »

It may be opening soon...I've seen the Redbird Flight Simulator set up - October 2019

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Weird thing about Guelph in the CFS:
“ Tng Rwy 05/23 proh without prior authorization fr Transport Canada via ops
specifications”

I know it’s a small runway, but that is just strange.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:50 pm Weird thing about Guelph in the CFS:
specifications”

I could be mistaken, but it might be due to the trees in close proximity causing some nasty turbulence---note the huge displacement on 23

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 pm
specifications”

I could be mistaken, but it might be due to the trees in close proximity causing some nasty turbulence---note the huge displacement on 23
That's exactly why that notation is there. It was put in place in the early 2000's when Aviation International had the flight school at Guelph. Basically you needed a check flight with an instructor to use the runway for training. It requires a pretty steep approach to clear the trees east of the runway when landing on 23.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

So instructor B needs a checkout from instructor A before they can train student C, but because it’s an OPSPEC only an FTUOC holder can hold it, and so B and A need to work for FTU D...?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Yes, TC questions are multiple choice A, B, C or D. Choose the most correct answer....

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

I guess the quality of pilot training dropped from the early 90s to the early 2000s...or the trees grew substantiallly 🤔

20DMEYYZ
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 20DMEYYZ »

Aviatard wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:25 am
rookiepilot wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 pm
specifications”

That's exactly why that notation is there. It was put in place in the early 2000's when Aviation International had the flight school at Guelph. Basically you needed a check flight with an instructor to use the runway for training. It requires a pretty steep approach to clear the trees east of the runway when landing on 23.
departing east in summer (dual in 152) we would start our t/o roll on the 'grass' and hop back up on the rwy to continue gaining more speed and then perform a Vx climb out. for our own safety and preservation of the owner's insurance rates so she could keep buying those new porsche convertibles.

Civic
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Civic »

fleet16b wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:48 am Lately we have been hearing rumblings that there may be a small flight school in the works
Does anyone know if there is a hangar or hangar space for rent and can you use the East West runway for training ?

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

Civic wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:05 am
fleet16b wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:48 am Lately we have been hearing rumblings that there may be a small flight school in the works
Does anyone know if there is a hangar or hangar space for rent and can you use the East West runway for training ?
I don't think there's anyone who has a hangar for rent right now. I'll be there later today or tomorrow and I can see if anyone has an ad posted.

sendymcsendyface
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sendymcsendyface »

The flight school is back in action, seems kinda sketchy from what I can tell. I inquired with the owner about renting, and was told that I couldn't rent unless he got a copy of my PSTAR exam. Given that I already have my PPL, that seems pretty odd. Obviously I don't have a copy of my PSTAR on hand. He has a Seminole and a 172. Seminole looks old, and the 172 has new avionics and new paint. Website is pretty over the top for a 2 plane operation. Maybe someone else will have better luck than me.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

sendymcsendyface wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:07 pm The flight school is back in action, seems kinda sketchy from what I can tell. I inquired with the owner about renting, and was told that I couldn't rent unless he got a copy of my PSTAR exam. Given that I already have my PPL, that seems pretty odd. Obviously I don't have a copy of my PSTAR on hand. He has a Seminole and a 172. Seminole looks old, and the 172 has new avionics and new paint. Website is pretty over the top for a 2 plane operation. Maybe someone else will have better luck than me.
He may ask you to write one for him. Might be an insurance requirement. Many flight schools have tests to be completed before solo renting is allowed.

sendymcsendyface
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sendymcsendyface »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:10 pm
sendymcsendyface wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:07 pm The flight school is back in action, seems kinda sketchy from what I can tell. I inquired with the owner about renting, and was told that I couldn't rent unless he got a copy of my PSTAR exam. Given that I already have my PPL, that seems pretty odd. Obviously I don't have a copy of my PSTAR on hand. He has a Seminole and a 172. Seminole looks old, and the 172 has new avionics and new paint. Website is pretty over the top for a 2 plane operation. Maybe someone else will have better luck than me.
He may ask you to write one for him. Might be an insurance requirement. Many flight schools have tests to be completed before solo renting is allowed.
Yeah, I thought that was it, and asked him about it, but he said he needed to see my first PSTAR. No idea what that is aboutl

Return to “General Comments”