2018 Pilot Hiring

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: 2018 Pilot Hiring

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Lady_Pilot wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:51 am Hello Ladies / gents
I had an interview with Sunwing in July, my references were checked in August I think, I was hoping I would get a call or an e mail soon, I got an e mail last Friday saying that the 2019 GS is completed, but they were not able to offer me a spot in that class, it also says my file will be kept active for 12 more months and no further interviews are required if I am offered a position, at the end it says that they are hoping to have a match in the future.
So if I understand that e mail correctly, seems like the 2019 GS is full and completed but there may be opportunities in the very near future. Has anyone of you got this e mail? anyone has any ideas what this e mail means? or is it just an e mail saying , well, too bad try later or something?

I just wanted to make a positive decision here, so any input is very much appreciated. Good luck and best wishes to everyone who got 2019 GS.

Thank you.
Sorry to hear that you didn't make it through this round of hiring. I got this email the first time I applied to Sunwing, and they called me a few months after I received the email to offer me a groundschool. I had to turn it down due to other commitments, but I kept in touch with the recruitment department and when I advised them I was available, it was still within the 12 months so I didn't need to interview again. A month or so after I advised them that I was available, they called me for a groundschool and I accepted.

So long story short, don't be discouraged. It's definitely not a PFO. Be sure to send the recruitment contact an email every 3-4 months just to see what may be coming up.
---------- ADS -----------

Lady_Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Lady_Pilot »

Thank you very much for that information you provided. I am definitely going to be positive and hoping to hear soon from Sunwing than later.
Good luck with your ground school and hope you will enjoy.

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

If it helps, they plan on hiring up to 60 more pilots soon to fill the void for new duty regs coming into effect for the 705s. It takes a long time-dont give up hope!

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

I would also say that 6 more planes will be added to the fleet in the first month or two of the new year.....

AFF
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by AFF »

boeingboy wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:02 pm I would also say that 6 more planes will be added to the fleet in the first month or two of the new year.....
Anything confirmed?

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

They’re referring to the MAX being back flying.

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoHomeLeg »

indieadventurer wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:28 pm They’re referring to the MAX being back flying.
The company already made the decision to not use them during the winter season regardless of the approval status. But who knows maybe they will find random jobs for them or use them as sparse.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

The company already made the decision to not use them during the winter season regardless of the approval status. But who knows maybe they will find random jobs for them or use them as sparse.
The second they are cleared to fly - they will be put into service.

They are not going to sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for something to break down somewhere.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Here's my time line with the Sunwing process if it helps anyone.

Applied end of March
Interviewed in May
Successful interview email July
Sorry for the delay email later in July
Successful in reference checks August
Sorry for delay, all 2019 gs are full, we'll let you know if one opens up for you in the next 12 months email in November.

I have heard through work that pilots with airline jet experience already are the ones who've been getting the call in 2019. I took another job I'd interviewed for in the same time period on a similar type, and so far I'm doing great so no harm, but it's also still nice to be considered.

I found the process very open and everyone I talked to was warm and helpful. All my emails were replied to quickly. Don't hesitate to reach out to them if you're in the same boat. Odds are the Max thing will open a tonne of spots when it flies again.

NG737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NG737 »

Same here mate-
Applied April
Interviewed July
references were called August
2 more replies to my e mail about trying to finalize the 2019 GS
Email received in Nov saying GS is full , but will find a match in the very near future ( positive e mail )

So to those who did not get a call for 2019 GS including myself, hope is there, I believe it's just a matter of time, maybe Max GS next? who knows lets see how it goes..

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

boeingboy wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:06 pm
The second they are cleared to fly - they will be put into service.

They are not going to sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for something to break down somewhere.
Yes and no.

Having worked at Sunwing, I can tell you what is happening.

The planning department at Sunwing is planning for the MAXs to be offline. If and when they become available, they will be interspersed into the schedule without any actual scheduling changes made. As Sunwing does "power by the hour" leases in the winter, it will be those aircraft that are made to sit. Keep in mind, the power by the hour aircraft do have a minimum amount of hours in the contract, so it's not like they'll sit idle for the entire winter.

gonnabeapilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gonnabeapilot »

Latest info from management roadshows is that the company is planning on hiring 70 people in 2020 with groundschools beginning again in the spring.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Yes and no.

Having worked at Sunwing, I can tell you what is happening.

The planning department at Sunwing is planning for the MAXs to be offline. If and when they become available, they will be interspersed into the schedule without any actual scheduling changes made. As Sunwing does "power by the hour" leases in the winter, it will be those aircraft that are made to sit. Keep in mind, the power by the hour aircraft do have a minimum amount of hours in the contract, so it's not like they'll sit idle for the entire winter.
Mostly true....After they return to service they will spend a month or two in YYZ on shakedown flights...but then they are off to the west. All MAX's are going to be based in the west with no more NG's. Eventually the entire fleet will be replaced at which point they will slowly start showing up out east. But that wont happen for a while.

If they are cleared in Jan - Then they should start flying regular runs in the west in late winter.

circle2land
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by circle2land »

With regards to the MAXs for Sunwing..are they being brought in as replacements or for growth? both?
Interview coming in December...

Handover
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Handover »

circle2land wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:31 pm With regards to the MAXs for Sunwing..are they being brought in as replacements or for growth? both?
Bit of both. As mentioned above the entire fleet will someday be replaced by Max's. Good luck on the interview. Best place I have ever worked for lifestyle.

Tap
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Tap »

Handover wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:53 am
circle2land wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:31 pm With regards to the MAXs for Sunwing..are they being brought in as replacements or for growth? both?
Bit of both. As mentioned above the entire fleet will someday be replaced by Max's. Good luck on the interview. Best place I have ever worked for lifestyle.
Would you think swg is better then AC?

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Tap wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:30 am
It depends. With a bit of seniority and depending of your family lifestyle it can certainly be as good or better than AC for a while, but its a totally different kind of operation. AC certainly has better long term pay and flight benefits (them B1 passes). But if you're coming back from overseas and looking for a quick upgrade and have a wife who doesn't mind a trip to europe every once in a while, the lifestyle of bidding productive YUL/YYZ turns can't be beat. Same timezone, sleep in your own bed, work 10-12 days a month.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
NG737
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by NG737 »

Anyone has any idea when the next GS would start? perhaps Jan of Feb? I know that the 2019 GS's are all filled up.

circle2land
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by circle2land »

daedalusx wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:19 pm

It depends. With a bit of seniority and depending of your family lifestyle it can certainly be as good or better than AC for a while, but its a totally different kind of operation. AC certainly has better long term pay and flight benefits (them B1 passes). But if you're coming back from overseas and looking for a quick upgrade and have a wife who doesn't mind a trip to europe every once in a while, the lifestyle of bidding productive YUL/YYZ turns can't be beat. Same timezone, sleep in your own bed, work 10-12 days a month.
Thanks for the info! I am at a pretty good company right now, but any future career growth (ie: upgrades) is likely minimum 5 years away (after currently being FO on the airplane 3 years). What are upgrade times like these days at Sunwing?
Anyone I know that works there as a pilot has mostly great things to say about it.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

circle2land wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:21 pm
daedalusx wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:19 pm

Thanks for the info! I am at a pretty good company right now, but any future career growth (ie: upgrades) is likely minimum 5 years away (after currently being FO on the airplane 3 years). What are upgrade times like these days at Sunwing?
Anyone I know that works there as a pilot has mostly great things to say about it.
Shoot me a PM.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"

Return to “Sunwing”