Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Jazz to launch pay for type rating program

Post by mixturerich »

Just because a kid is a rich kid with dreams of flying doesn’t make them an a-hole. Why are you guys so judgemental? Are you jealous? Or just bitter? You play the hand you are dealt. Some people are dealt better hands than others. Get over it.
---------- ADS -----------

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

mixturerich wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:38 am Just because a kid is a rich kid with dreams of flying doesn’t make them an a-hole. Why are you guys so judgemental? Are you jealous? Or just bitter? You play the hand you are dealt. Some people are dealt better hands than others. Get over it.
Well said.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Because you can't buy your way through life.

Want to work for an airline? Apparently you can buy that job now.

Want to be a captain? Can't buy that...yet
Want to get married and start a family? Can't buy that either
Want a nice house 30 minutes from YYZ? Definitely can't buy that on an Jazz FO salary.

It would be fantastic if people learned the true value of money and hard work before getting an adult grown-up job...but it's become obvious Jazz doesn't value their FOs very highly (atrocious post-2015 pay).

People are bitter that Jazz used to pay (inflation corrected) $47000 for 1st year FO in 2015 and attracted 3000 hour applicants. Now it's CARs minimums and "buy-a-job". Jazz is leading the race to the bottom. We're all upset that pilots established in the industry and at Jazz worked hard in life and at the bargaining table. Now Daddy's little rich kid can come in and undermine all that hard work and hard won bargaining to buy a job.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

mixturerich wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:38 am Just because a kid is a rich kid with dreams of flying doesn’t make them an a-hole. Why are you guys so judgemental? Are you jealous? Or just bitter? You play the hand you are dealt. Some people are dealt better hands than others. Get over it.
I think bitter is an understatement, otherwise the 50% divorce rate wouldn't exist. For an industry where luck plays a huge roll people seem to be mad about everyone's luck but their own

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Luck is not any more prevalent in this industry than any other. I know this from experience in other industries. It is all about hard work and reputation. Sorry to break that to you. With time, you may understand this. But maybe not...

cargocowboy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by cargocowboy »

I started flying commercially 3yrs ago, so I've met and worked with, and kept in touch with, alot of new pilots. I don't know a single person that's gone to the regionals with 250hrs. Of course, everyone has a friend of a friend that knows someone that went to Jazz straight out of college. But, unless someone close to the recruiting process can say otherwise, I think 250hr 705 pilots are pretty rare in the grand scheme of things. I personally know of 3 guys, between 1000 and 2000hrs, with good PIC and 2 crew 703 experience, that have been turned down by Jazz recently.

leftoftrack
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by leftoftrack »

but they're offering a full 37k/year

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

cargocowboy wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:33 am I started flying commercially 3yrs ago, so I've met and worked with, and kept in touch with, alot of new pilots. I don't know a single person that's gone to the regionals with 250hrs. Of course, everyone has a friend of a friend that knows someone that went to Jazz straight out of college. But, unless someone close to the recruiting process can say otherwise, I think 250hr 705 pilots are pretty rare in the grand scheme of things. I personally know of 3 guys, between 1000 and 2000hrs, with good PIC and 2 crew 703 experience, that have been turned down by Jazz recently.
As someone who was a Captain at Jazz, I can tell you they exist. I'd say around %30 of the FOs I flew with came through a college direct entry program. It's increased drastically in the last few years as well.

andyp
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by andyp »

simplicity wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:42 pm
cargocowboy wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:33 am I started flying commercially 3yrs ago, so I've met and worked with, and kept in touch with, alot of new pilots. I don't know a single person that's gone to the regionals with 250hrs. Of course, everyone has a friend of a friend that knows someone that went to Jazz straight out of college. But, unless someone close to the recruiting process can say otherwise, I think 250hr 705 pilots are pretty rare in the grand scheme of things. I personally know of 3 guys, between 1000 and 2000hrs, with good PIC and 2 crew 703 experience, that have been turned down by Jazz recently.
As someone who was a Captain at Jazz, I can tell you they exist. I'd say around %30 of the FOs I flew with came through a college direct entry program. It's increased drastically in the last few years as well.
Yup. Nowadays over 50% of Jazz FO’s don’t have their ATPL. Initial groundschools have more pilots without their ATPL then with. Trainer/Indoc guys are TIRED of the inexperience. Captains are tired of the babysitting. Sign of the times. It will get better though as they learn. Competence comes with experience and they learn well and quick. Our world changes constantly, get with the program, adapt, and shut the @#$! up about ‘how it’s always been’

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

I never really found to be babysitting unless they were like super fresh off LI. Most of my more memorable pairings were with younger pilots who were all pretty inexperienced and new. They were always keen to learn and do the best they could. Can't say the same for some of the Sr FOs who thought they knew it all and didn't understand that just because you "can hold a Captain position higher than me" still doesn't make you a Captain.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

ayseven wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:02 am Luck is not any more prevalent in this industry than any other. I know this from experience in other industries. It is all about hard work and reputation. Sorry to break that to you. With time, you may understand this. But maybe not...
Look at literally everyone pilot youtuber. All of them had a lucky moment. Not saying it's impossible without it but luck can be the difference between people succeeding or giving up

AirportCoffee
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AirportCoffee »

Look at literally everyone pilot youtuber
Not exactly the type of people you want to be looking up to

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

Swaaaaayne

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

AirportCoffee wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:07 pm
Look at literally everyone pilot youtuber
Not exactly the type of people you want to be looking up to
What's wrong with Captain Joe? I forgot swayne existed lol

simplicity
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by simplicity »

Captain Joe is actually cool. I also don't mind Trent Palmer.

It's the Swaynes and Steveos and Flight Chops people I can't stand.

I WAS Pez
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by I WAS Pez »

Is this vermont guy for real? I mean, honestly. Must be some kind of a joke, though I don't quite get it...

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

simplicity wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:44 pm Captain Joe is actually cool. I also don't mind Trent Palmer.

I don't get flight chops lol! Not a normal ppl guy but didn't jump into commercial either like what is the target demographic?

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

I WAS Pez wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:12 am Is this vermont guy for real? I mean, honestly. Must be some kind of a joke, though I don't quite get it...
Future jazz fo :)

snowcrest
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by snowcrest »

vermont wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:07 pm
simplicity wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:44 pm Captain Joe is actually cool. I also don't mind Trent Palmer.

I don't get flight chops lol! Not a normal ppl guy but didn't jump into commercial either like what is the target demographic?
Anything that gives him that sweet, sweet ad revenue.

All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.
vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

snowcrest wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:19 pm
vermont wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:07 pm

Anything that gives him that sweet, sweet ad revenue.
Apparently he was a "cinematographer" previously so it all makes sense now

Return to “General Comments”