New North Star Basler Accident (Number 3)

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: New North Star Basler Accident

Post by C-GGGQ »

Eleveniron wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:57 pm Thankfully the boys walked away again. Its so difficult to pack properly for these Basler recoveries. Skidoo, boat, chainsaw... which one to take???
Ok that one almost put coffee through my nose. Well done
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

pelmet wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:06 pm
Eleveniron wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:57 pm Thankfully the boys walked away again.
Is it a different crew involved in each crash. It can't be a very large company.
Not sure which situation would be better: if it is the same crew every time, or a different crew every time. In both cases their are some giant red flags with the operation of that company...

Kudo though, that once again nobody died. Those are impressive numbers.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

What part is impressive? Crashing 3 planes in 2 years? Or crashing 3 planes and 0 injuries?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

goingnowherefast wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:57 pm What part is impressive? Crashing 3 planes in 2 years? Or crashing 3 planes and 0 injuries?
Crashing one plane twice and a second plane once, off airport with 0 injuries.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

First reports said "in the lake" so I was gonna suggest getting a couple pairs of them DC-3 amphibs from Folsom's down in Maine.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Freight is great. Can always go tmrw. Been involved with ops I wouldn't touch today. DC3s on skis. Some very nasty WX. Inadequately maintained equipment. No GPS. Not many NDBs. Never saw 3 prangs in that time period. Something is very wrong here. It's 2019. Pushing not required. Great machines. Experience levels? Some truth here. No excuse to be off course on an approach. Not with today's toys. Minimums are a hard number. C'mon guys. Clean it up.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.
Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:06 pm Freight is great. Can always go tmrw. Been involved with ops I wouldn't touch today. DC3s on skis. Some very nasty WX. Inadequately maintained equipment. No GPS. Not many NDBs. Never saw 3 prangs in that time period. Something is very wrong here. It's 2019. Pushing not required. Great machines. Experience levels? Some truth here. No excuse to be off course on an approach. Not with today's toys. Minimums are a hard number. C'mon guys. Clean it up.
Illya
Inexperience is the elephant in the room. Unfortunately, this is likely going to continue to get worse and worse as we deal with serious pilot shortages.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

How experienced were the crews of the different accidents?

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Any pictures ?

Cracking the Davinci Code was easier than getting Notams regarding when the Mexican ILS being unservicable at some of these remote locations .

Three aircraft went missed from published approaches in that area about the same time , so weather was not nice at that time .

Maynard
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Maynard »

Heard the same skipper on the YFH crash as this one. Doesn’t sound like he was inexperienced

I guess I should write something here.
tigerCT
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by tigerCT »

I heard one went missed at Sachigo about 30 mins before the crash, then one got in 45 mins after the crash. Sounded like WX was close to mins. Decent amount of ice. Probably just saw runway too late and tried to “circle”

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

AC was seen circling overhead. Guy I talked to said “it was really low, and misty” verbatim. Pushing weather seems to be the inescapable truth on this one.
Don’t, as an industry, ever think we’ll learn.
Illya

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Most (99%) of us know exactly what to do at minimums (or any other established procedure). It's the dumb 1% who will continue to screw around and crash airplanes without learning.

Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 2112 »

Play stupid games win stupid prizes. These guys are going to kill someone it's a matter of time and nothing else. Lets hope the regulator wakes up before its too late.

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

Is it just me, or do the ads that pop up between every post make this site almost unusable?
Flew over the sight yesterday. About 300 meters south of the threshold for 08? Headed 80 or so degrees to the south. Nowhere near lined up. Freight can wait.
Illya

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

If they weren't aligned with the runway maybe airframe icing and loss of control were a factor again.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:01 am Is it just me, or do the ads that pop up between every post make this site almost unusable?
Flew over the sight yesterday. About 300 meters south of the threshold for 08? Headed 80 or so degrees to the south. Nowhere near lined up. Freight can wait.
Illya
Just put AdGuard on my iPhone. All ads gone now

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Illya Kuryakin wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:01 am Is it just me, or do the ads that pop up between every post make this site almost unusable?
Not just you. Long loading times and way too much battery and data usage as well. It is becoming expensive to use this website.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

digits_ wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:18 am
Not just you. Long loading times and way too much battery and data usage as well. It is becoming expensive to use this website.
Yeah it was bearable before but now my phone screen jumps around as the ads load and i often end up pressing an add instead of what I wanted. It's getting crazy annoying. Gonna get an add blocker for my phone finally. This website is by far the worst I've ever seen for adds.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

digits_ wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:18 am
I run Ad Blocker Pro which loads through Safari on my IPad and works great as I don’t get those annoying ads on this site. I use Safari all the time from the iPad and blocks ads and unwanted info from other sites as well.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”