Fatal Crash - Gabriola Island - Dec 10, 2019

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Fatal Crash - Gabriola Island - Dec 10, 2019

Post by L39Guy »

corethatthermal wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:35 am My simple old Garmin 296 has a page with the 6 pack on it,,,, can get you on the ground with a pitot-static failure , however there are slight delays! Who is practicing imc with a simple instrument like this? Why hasn't there been a simple and inexpensive solution for a more advanced GPS based full ( back-up ) panel for smaller A/C ? Oh I know and you know too!
There are lots of eloquent, low-cost solutions that will save your bacon.

There are suction mount ADS-B receivers that will Bluetooth your phone, PDA, etc. That, with a ForeFlight and other apps can give you attitude as well as nearing info combines with navigation. It’s enough to get you out of cloud and in the clear.
---------- ADS -----------

RVR1200
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by RVR1200 »

goldeneagle wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:13 am
pelmet wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:46 am I’m not sure. Do many light aircraft certified for known ice have heated static ports.
It's one of the required items to be certified for flight into known ice.
Maybe the regulations have changed but I owned a Canadian registered Cessna P210 that was equipped with the Known Icing Kit. It did not have heated static ports nor were they available. The kit included a electrically-heated stall vane, a nonremovable anti-ice hot plate on the pilot's side windscreen, a second vacuum pump, a heavy duty alternator, electrically heated propeller boots, an ice-light embedded in the fuselage to illuminate the pilot's-side wing leading edge and vacuum-pump-operated boots on the wings and on the horizontal/vertical stabilizers.

Last edited by RVR1200 on Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Jean-Pierre wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:18 am Guys a pitot static instrument failure or blockage is not going to bring down an airplane like this because the pilot can just switch to attitude+power. A gyro instrument failure is much harder to deal with.
Sure, if the pilot knows about it. There is at least one case of a pitot static blockage bringing down an airliner.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

jakeandelwood wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:06 pm
Jean-Pierre wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:18 am Guys a pitot static instrument failure or blockage is not going to bring down an airplane like this because the pilot can just switch to attitude+power. A gyro instrument failure is much harder to deal with.
Sure, if the pilot knows about it. There is at least one case of a pitot static blockage bringing down an airliner.
In that case (Birgenair), it was the Captain’s static air source that was plugged by a mud wasp encampment. Had they flown by the FO’s instruments instead of the Captain’s, they should have been fine.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

goldeneagle wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:13 am
pelmet wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:46 am I’m not sure. Do many light aircraft certified for known ice have heated static ports.
It's one of the required items to be certified for flight into known ice.
No it is not. My aircrafts static ports are unheated and it's certified for FIKI.

What is required is a heated pitot tube (which may, but not always contain a static source) and an alternate static source for all IFR flight.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

That would be my view as well. It is much better to prevent it icing over than to allow yourself to enter a period of undetected instrument error, then, when contemplating something might not be right, decide there is a problem with "the equipment", and then tell ATC you have a problem and try and analyze what it is. If you have a heated port, and its working, that issue never arises.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:59 pm
In that case (Birgenair), it was the Captain’s static air source that was plugged by a mud wasp encampment. Had they flown by the FO’s instruments instead of the Captain’s, they should have been fine.
But they didn't. Therein lies the problem with instrument failure: Trying to eliminate the false data and fly on the relevant data.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

While not signing on to the idea that it was a static port issue at Gabriola, this is a good bit on the issue at the end of section 1 in this link...

https://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-fly ... indicator/

It could have been a number of things, though. The autopilot at that stage wouldn't have helped. If they came from Cabo all in that one day, fatigue and weather as well.

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Some years ago, a lear was making an approach and the pilots did not reset the altimeter.
Flew into the ocean. All killed.

Sometimes it just simple things. I can imagine being on an approach and suddenly the ground appears very close when your altimeter is telling you there should be hundreds of feet between you and it. It is dark. There is high terrain. Hard pull up and a 180. Call and say you have an instrument issue (which is sorta true). In cloud, turn gets steeper, in the climb and you are still a bit shook from seeing the ground appear real close in the cloud. The turn steepens....And that’s all she wrote

A static port blockage will really play havoc with the autopilot.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

Well if we had the altimeter setting for naniamo at the time of the crash, we could figure out what the altimeter might have been reading, had it been left at 29.98 on the descent thru 18000 feet, mind you , a pilot would have been reminded a whole bunch of times ( handoffs, descent clearance, approach clearance etc)along the approach to reset it.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

The autopilot was an issue in this.

Possibly the Garmin 1000 suite.

Trey is right generally on a blocked static port making the AP very dangerous, but this was a pre-existing issue on at least the previous flight.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Anofly.....
29.98??

Maybe we should be considering pilot error..... : :smt040

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

ooops
I have never been that high in a plane unless someone else was flying it. i seem to recall you are supposed to do something at 18000 desending.... 29.92? sheepishly....

Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

cncpc wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:35 pm The autopilot was an issue in this.

Possibly the Garmin 1000 suite.
Would you care to elaborate on this?,,, unless it's wild speculation.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

No, I wouldn't. If I would have cared to elaborate, I'd have elaborated when I wrote the post.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

The autopilot can be turned off with a click of a button. Unless you are saying this pilot could not hand fly the approach. It happens these day.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

I'm saying what I'm saying. You're making up what I'm saying. Know the difference.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

A lot of flight instructors have very little actual IFR experience. I know when I did my instrument rating they wouldn't fly in IMC. If he was relying on the autopilot and it failed having to suddenly hand fly and manage the approach could have been overwhelming.

ahvittery
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ahvittery »

I would highly suspect ice induced tailplane stall when flaps selected coming on to the LOC at CYCD, there was freezing drizzle in the VTA that day from about 6000-SFC, there appears to be a history of issues with these aircraft in icing conditions.
It had been flying at FL250 [-35C]for about 3 hours, prior to entering the precip........

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”