Shortage of Military pilots

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Shortage of Military pilots

Post by godsrcrazy »

Does anyone else smell something bad with this. Reminds me of a few years back when Flying Aces was started by Discovery air and ran by a bunch of ex airforce pilots to run decoy planes for the CF18's to chase. They were able to under bid the company that had the contract for years. I am sure they had no idea what previous pricing was. Now the Government wants to hire ex military pilots to crew Military aircraft. I wonder what the name of that company will be.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/c ... ar-BBYbJWu
---------- ADS -----------

snowcrest
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Shortage of Military pilots

Post by snowcrest »

Why does avcanada always assume the worst?

All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.
flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

snowcrest wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:21 pm Why does avcanada always assume the worst?
Because its true? It seems like they are slowly moving towards the way of privatization, and do nothing for retention for their pilots and any other trade.

snowcrest
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by snowcrest »

flyingcanuck wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:31 pm
snowcrest wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:21 pm Why does avcanada always assume the worst?
Because its true? It seems like they are slowly moving towards the way of privatization, and do nothing for retention for their pilots and any other trade.
I'm in the joint Seneca program with the RCAF, and they have nothing but good things to say.

All the gods, all the heavens, all the hells, are within you.
DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

Nothing new here. In June of 2014, Canada's DND, (Dept. of National Defence),
recruited and took-on-strength experienced RAF pilots to fly the CF-18. Canada's provider of air traffic services, NAV CANADA also hired a few experienced NATS ATCOs from the U.K. Yes, they had to qualify under routine on-the-job training, (check out), just like any other hire.

Last edited by DadoBlade on Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

godsrcrazy wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:40 am Does anyone else smell something bad with this. Reminds me of a few years back when Flying Aces was started by Discovery air and ran by a bunch of ex airforce pilots to run decoy planes for the CF18's to chase. They were able to under bid the company that had the contract for years. I am sure they had no idea what previous pricing was. Now the Government wants to hire ex military pilots to crew Military aircraft. I wonder what the name of that company will be.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/c ... ar-BBYbJWu
I think you mean ‘Top Aces’.

Either way, the RCAF really has no choice but to contract out. The ‘leadership’ has pissed of most of the experienced guys so badly that they left (I’m referring to pilots and techs here) and now there is no one left to train the next generation. So, now they’re going to have to pay through the nose. But, hey; it’s not a retention problem, it’s a loyalty problem.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

snowcrest wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:03 pm
I'm in the joint Seneca program with the RCAF, and they have nothing but good things to say.
Dude, my suggestion is that you experience a bit more of life in RCAF before you make up your mind one way or the other.

B208
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by B208 »

As much as I would love to lay the lack of retention efforts at the feet of the GOFOs, not all of them are at fault. Some very senior people made some very serious efforts to improve things last year; all of those efforts got shot down by Treasury Board.

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

Well, if they come lookin' to lure me out of retirement, I'm putting my foot down!

Signing bonus, minimum $150000/yr plus allowances, 30 days (working days) holidays, and only work between ten and two with an hour off at noon for lunch and a nap...

:smt040

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

The discussion is not to hire civilian pilots to fly operationally. It is only to hire instructor pilots to teach at the schools. They would have to have a QFI (qualified flight instructor) rating and likely have to be ex military, likely ex QFI (which not many of the general RCAF pilot group is). They would fly training flights in the MTCA and the odd IFR cross country. Moose Jaw is the largest flying unit in the RCAF. Staffing a portion of the instructor pilots with civilians would allow QFIs currently teaching to return to their operational Sqns and alleviate some of the manning issues.

These civilian pilots would not be flying operationally and certainly won't be hired off the street without some background in military flying, likely in military instruction.

Given that ex RCAF QFI are actively recruited to instruct as civilians for some foreign air forces, at very beaucoup dollars, and many have other job options in various places of commercial aviation, would think the compensation would have to be competitive.

KissPlusOne
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by KissPlusOne »

Schooner69A wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 pm Well, if they come lookin' to lure me out of retirement, I'm putting my foot down!

Signing bonus, minimum $150000/yr plus allowances, 30 days (working days) holidays, and only work between ten and two with an hour off at noon for lunch and a nap...

Sooooo, a typical government job, then???

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Schooner69A »

"Sooooo, a typical government job, then???"

Tee hee: don't I wish.

Twenty-five years with the military and six years with TC weren't quite THAT cushy.

AAMOF, when I was in the military, my civilian counterparts were better paid and had better lifestyles. The time with TC had reasonable pay, good hours, but a definite lack of proficiency flying...

Except for an inability to plan ahead, the fifteen years with corporate aviation was great: good equipment, fair amount of flying, good people to work with, good people to transport, and variety in the flying: fixed wing and rotary wing.

If I could cobble together the good points from all my employments, now THAT would be a cushy job... :)

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I really don't care if some ex-military pilots are getting a windfall. What matters to me is how much these contractors cost vs how it was done before when the CF was staffed properly? Does it work better financially and operationally for the Air Force to have the personnel with the required expertise on staff or is it all the same whether they are contracted or not.

And when the contractors get old and retire, where is the new supply of contractors going to come from?

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Schooner69A wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:38 pm Well, if they come lookin' to lure me out of retirement, I'm putting my foot down!

Air Force pilot OJPR: " Can without benefit of a menu and without getting out of bed, order a room service breakfast" :wink:

Seriously the CAF, like most militaries drank the "privatize the support functions and you will save big money" kool aid. The resultant lost flexibility in the force generation pipeline has now come home to roost in a big way. This is classic government " there is never time or money to do the job right but there will always be time and money to do the job over" :roll:

The comment about Treasury Board bean counters thwarting the desires of RCAF senior leadership is spot on. TBS is the poster child for MBA's in short pants who know the cost of everything and the value of nothing :oops:

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

The unintended results of decisions made for other reasons.
They used to have all kinds of planes to fly .
The national air guard to the south has many part timers flying some really neat aircraft.
Maybe , we need similar part time opportunities up here ? Although that might require acquisition and investment .
If you do not have aircraft you do not need pilots .
Same for the Navy , no ships, no need for sailors .

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

Not a shortage of military pilots. Much like everywhere else it’s a shortage of experienced pilots, in this case military specific.

The contract is aimed at ex-military QFI’s who would otherwise be heading to Saudi, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait, Malaysia, or possibly China (heard rumours about China, not confirmed). It’s a work around to keep experienced military pilots here and teaching the next generation without having to pay military pilots more. Lots of internal and external factors currently preclude paying military pilots more or reducing queep.

Upside, it may work. Downside, current military guys will quit to do it if it’s a good deal, making the problem worse. My wife and I are discussing it, amongst other options. Would AC pay better? Eventually, assuming the economy stays on track and rapid hiring continues. Would the flying and lifestyle at AC be worse? Absolutely. Would overseas pay better? Absolutely, but at the cost of quality of life.

If the contract is $160K+ I suspect a lot of people will be interested. Anything less and overseas or airlines become preferable for the majority. Will be interesting to see what the offer is.

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

TT1900 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:47 pm Would the flying and lifestyle at AC be worse? Absolutely.
You just be joking.

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

Gannet167 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:27 pm
TT1900 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:47 pm Would the flying and lifestyle at AC be worse? Absolutely.
You just be joking.
I guess it all depends on your current fleet if you are a RCAF Pilot. Any flying gig other than my current posting would be a huge quality of life and quality of flying hit. I’m home every night, the entire Christmas break is off to be with the kids, I can take a month off during the summer if I want, I can deploy overseas and get tax-free salary (if I want). I don’t have a commute longer than 7 mins for work. Lots of pluses to staying in the RCAF - albeit I am sure I will make the slide to AC when I advance too far in this gig and no longer get to fly.

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

Flying SAR in YQQ was my dream job. I am sure I'd have stayed in if I was there. It is not at all indicative of the bulk of flying jobs in the RCAF. Not for deployments, time on TD, work hours, queef, flying, time off, location etc. You have possibly the best job in NATO.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Unfortunately, you can't claim this tax credit anymore. It has been eliminated for 2016.

Return to “General Comments”