Shortage of Military pilots

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Shortage of Military pilots

Post by SAR_YQQ »

Jean-Pierre wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:46 pm Unfortunately, you can't claim this tax credit anymore. It has been eliminated for 2016.
What tax credit? All named OUTCAN deployments are tax free and have no indication of that decision being reversed.

Gannett - I hear you and agree. Life would be profoundly different at an AMD flying sqn - where they basically live the life of an airline pilot, yet don’t pull in the heavy iron pay cheque. I haven’t been a SAR driver my entire career, I spent time at a CFFTS and some time working behind an Ops desk at an OSS. Regardless, I am living in a Catch-22 situation where I have no motivation to get out and chase pretty FAs on 3 day layovers. The flip side being I am missing out on obtaining seniority in an airline for future earning potential and schedule choice.
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Jean-Pierre wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:46 pm Unfortunately, you can't claim this tax credit anymore. It has been eliminated for 2016.
You are thinking of the tax credit civilian pilots got during UN deployments like voyager and R1

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

Gannet167 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:27 pm
TT1900 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:47 pm Would the flying and lifestyle at AC be worse? Absolutely.
You just be joking.
Not at all.

Different strokes for different folks and all, but teaching aeros, low-level, and formation is better flying in my mind. I enjoy teaching and my tour in Moose Jaw was great.

For a young guy the short term pain of garbage pay and bottom seniority lifestyle at AC is probably worth it long term. For someone in their 40’s, seeing the number of 20 & 30 year olds recently hired, not so much.

As I said, I’m very interested to see what the publicized offer will be.

losercruiser
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by losercruiser »

Who cares about the 20-30 year olds being hired? I really don't understand why these arguments keep being brought up.

Yes, you will never be a 777 or 787 Captain. But in a few years you can have a VERY cushy job as a 777/787 FO, or a mid list NB CA and make well over $200,000 a year working a decent schedule.

If you WANT to teach, that's great. But you really can't compare the jobs, but if you want to work at Air Canada and you are in your 40's you still have 20-25 years left which will be a great career. You just might have to adjust your expectations.

Control what you can, forget about what you can't. And 20-30 year olds senior to you is something you can't control. So forget about it. Look at what you will get out of the career and use that to make your choice.

Return to “General Comments”