Experimental parts on certified aircraft

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Experimental parts on certified aircraft

Post by photofly »

boeingboy wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:29 pm I didn't say it couldn't be done.

I was referring to some owner, willy-nilly throwing a couple of wires on some switch already installed.....To hell with regs!
Isn't he an AME?
---------- ADS -----------

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:59 pmIsn't he an AME?
An AME is allowed to sign off mods to his own aircraft?

The quote above says there's "no STC" to add the light, and "to hell with the regs," he's doing it anyway. Which suggests that if he's an AME, he knows it's against the regs somehow. And yet, he's doing it anyway. But hey, I guess he can piss in his own cornflakes... :P

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

AirFrame wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:42 am
photofly wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:59 pmIsn't he an AME?
An AME is allowed to sign off mods to his own aircraft?
An AME can issue a release for work performed on their own aircraft, sure.

The decision as to whether a modification is minor or major doesn't have to be made by anyone with a particular qualification. An AME might be better placed to make that decision, but at root it's a question of fact and not opinion, like airworthiness. If the modification meets the criteria in CAR571 Appendix A it's minor, and can be supported with "acceptable data". If not, it needs either "approved data" or "specified data". If coreatthermal can find acceptable data (like a similar installation as part of another type certified aircraft) uses standard parts like LED's or bulbs and holders, and performs the work in a standard way like by following the guildelines in AC43.13, then he's good to go.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “General Comments”