Luxury Tax

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Luxury Tax

Post by pelmet »

Another tax for aviation. Write your MP to try to stop it.....

https://copanational.org/en/2019/12/19/ ... t-20191219
---------- ADS -----------

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Luxury Tax

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Gotta come up with money somewhere after the budget failed to balance itself 🙄
This will cause the private jet owners to register more airplanes in foreign countries

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Lots of 110k airplanes just became 99k with an 11k pile of "spare parts".

Poorly thought out tax.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

It's a little unclear at the moment. Will it apply to used aircraft or just new?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Is an aircraft owned by a corporation still a personal aircraft?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Indeed....... somehow I don’t this will be a burning issue with 90% of the population.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

There’s a lot of ways around this if you’re smart. Usually people who are wealthy enough to afford 6 figure toys are also intelligent enough to dodge the taxman. :mrgreen:

My airplane was purchased out of annual so it was “a bunch of airplane parts” worth $8000

Let’s Go Brandon
Galaxy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Galaxy »

I can’t believe Trudeau and his cronies are considering a tax that could have negative effects on Quebec (Bombardier). I don’t see this tax happening...

stillflying
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stillflying »

Galaxy wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:28 pm I can’t believe Trudeau and his cronies are considering a tax that could have negative effects on Quebec (Bombardier). I don’t see this tax happening...
Why? He only does things that will make him appear to do the right thing to the masses.

Also, Bombardier sold off all but their business aviation assets. Even then, the majority of their business aviation comes out of the US (Witchita).

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Galaxy wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:28 pm I can’t believe Trudeau and his cronies are considering a tax that could have negative effects on Quebec (Bombardier). I don’t see this tax happening...
Why?

Politicians rarely care about people who support them no matter what. Metropolitan Quebec isn’t a battleground for Liberals any more than rural Alberta is for Conservatives.

And just look at how Western Canada falls over themselves supporting Ontario carpetbaggers who have a Conservative sticker on them like Harper, Scheer, and Kenney.

Build or buy a pipeline for Alberta after the 2014 oil crash? Nope. Bail out the Ontario auto sector after the 2008 recession? Yes! How much? We need to buy votes there!

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I can’t see a reason why spending my cash on an airplane or boat is worthy of extra tax, but not spending it on a cottage (or second cottage), or flash jewellery, or a collection of good wine, or a decent violin, for example.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Lol. It would take years to implement and apply to new "luxury" purchases. This is just a mandate letter.

Calm down chicken little.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

So who decides how much the aircraft is worth? What if you own 2 aircraft? Is it totaled?

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

photofly wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:09 am I can’t see a reason why spending my cash on an airplane or boat is worthy of extra tax, but not spending it on a cottage (or second cottage), or flash jewellery, or a collection of good wine, or a decent violin, for example.
Exactly, I know someone who drives a 100k vehicle and lives in a basement suite. I own a plane and drive a $200 vehicle. It's our money, we paid income tax on it and we also paid tax on what we buy so why can't we spend it the way we want?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Wealth taxes.
Estate taxes.
Means tests on retirement benefits.
Luxury taxes.

All under the guise "pay your fair share"

All coming. Good luck writing letters.

TalkingPie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TalkingPie »

I suspect that this will end up like Trudeau's assault on small businesses; wealthy people will react to the new tax and the government will net less revenue than before they decided to fleece hard-working people. I predict that fewer people will buy expensive vehicles, or they'll register them in a way so as to get around the tax. No new tax revenue will be collected, and the businesses and employees who manufacture and service these vehicles will suffer.

Little Potato may also want to take a look at what kind of aircraft $100k will buy. After a flight in a 20 year old C172, his highness may decide that it's not the display of luxury that he's used to.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

This proposed tax, like other “sin” taxes, targets a small and unloved portion of the population, so it can happen without fear of political consequences.

After taxes, the govt will target legal gun owners as a grand political gesture. And lay off the backlash on the RCMP and municipalities...

The liberals (small l). Love to spend other peoples money...

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

jakeandelwood wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:12 pm
photofly wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:09 am I can’t see a reason why spending my cash on an airplane or boat is worthy of extra tax, but not spending it on a cottage (or second cottage), or flash jewellery, or a collection of good wine, or a decent violin, for example.
can't we spend it the way we want?
No, as long as you have a penny left, they’ll come for it!

Return to “General Comments”