Jazz Pilot Pool

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Jazz Pilot Pool

Post by Transition9er2 »

dhc# wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:12 pm
Transition9er2 wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:36 am I’ve been flying for Jazz over 2 years now. I’ve already interviewed with AC and I’ve been awarded a captain spot... in 2 very short years!!! All I can say to everyone in the pool is be patient, the flood gates are about to open.

The company recently sent out a memo asking for ppl to join the training department for all aircraft types. AC is looking to hire a significant amount of pilots (60% of which are to come from Jazz) and the retirements here haven’t quite started yet.

The next 14 months will be VERY interesting for Jazz!

Good luck to all waiting, it’s a shit time I know, but it’ll be worth it in the end.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

T

What does "the flood gates are about to open" mean exactly in terms of numbers going to AC....still around 500 for 2020 ? And why is 14 months significant ?

This is strictly my impressions based on what I see and conversations had on line, nothing more.

AC is looking to hire 830(+/-) new pilots for 2020 as per their recent equipment bid and 60% of those numbers are to come from Jazz.

The majority of our captains (for the most part) have no intentions of moving to AC, leaving a small number from the captains list who’re eligible and “want” to move over. The FO list is a bit of a challenge, anyone who now qualifies for a captain upgrade most likely also qualifies to interview with AC. From what I’m hearing the majority of these folks want to go to AC instead of taking the upgrade and staying at Jazz. Of course there are those who want to make Jazz a career, but the majority want to slide over.

60% of 830 is almost 500 and our most recent seniority list (coming out today) shows we’re still shy of 1500 pilots across the country. Based on simple math AC will be taking 1/3 of our pilot group in the foreseeable future. With the amount of low time FO’s we have, we won’t be losing the full 500 but we will be losing a high percentage of anyone qualified to upgrade and help the need for captains.

Talking with some of the senior captains it sounds like retirements will start spooling up in 1-2 years which means a loss of more numbers and more importantly, experience!

When I say the next 14 months will be interesting, I mean our pilot group is going to see a major shuffle and I’m not sure we’ll be able to replenish as fast as we’re losing pilots when you factor in training and line indoc delays to release new hires to the line. It sounds like the majority of new hires appear to be low time (not including the GGN folks) which means more delays in upgrades to the captain list... will Jazz need to hire direct entry captains soon to meet the need?... maybe, I don’t have a crystal ball, but looking at the numbers it would seem hiring is going to have to increase and some kind of incentive is going to be needed to retain FO’s with experience and take the captain upgrades.

Like I said, this is just my impression... if I was a candidate in the hiring pool I would say the future is looking very bright and a career at Jazz will be a good one for a very long time.

I’m not trying to start any kind of debate with anyone (I’m sure the keeners will jump all over this post) but this is simply my thoughts to support the folks stuck in the pool with not much communication.

Good luck everyone,

T.
---------- ADS -----------

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Yes Jazz has almost stopped upgrades in the past month or so because many of the upgrade candidates have had AC interviews and it’s pointless to do upgrades when you’re leaving shortly after. The problem is they are now loaded with non ATPL FO who don’t have the hours or experience to go left seat. The top 700 at the company have no intentions of leaving but the retirements are going to start increasing soon.

Let’s Go Brandon
Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

That’s exactly what happens when you load up every GS with only 800hrs 704 FO...
But I guess it was planned so stay tuned to see what happens in the next year!

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Inverted2 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:24 am Yes Jazz has almost stopped upgrades in the past month or so because many of the upgrade candidates have had AC interviews and it’s pointless to do upgrades when you’re leaving shortly after. The problem is they are now loaded with non ATPL FO who don’t have the hours or experience to go left seat. The top 700 at the company have no intentions of leaving but the retirements are going to start increasing soon.
Wow, stopped upgrades??

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Yes very few upgrades in January from what I saw in the bid packages.

Let’s Go Brandon
Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

I did my upgrade training almost six months before it was supposed to happen because all the FOs ahead of me were bypassed due to having already interviewed at AC. The bottom 5-10 captains at each base keep rotating out to AC but the majority of captains are senior and won't leave.

Most of the FOs want to go to AC but many don't have their ATPL and are short on PIC time.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Upgrades have not stopped. However, any slowdown in the process has nothing to do with candidates going to AC. There are other factors at play.

Caterpillar
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Caterpillar »

Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:58 pm I did my upgrade training almost six months before it was supposed to happen because all the FOs ahead of me were bypassed due to having already interviewed at AC. The bottom 5-10 captains at each base keep rotating out to AC but the majority of captains are senior and won't leave.

Most of the FOs want to go to AC but many don't have their ATPL and are short on PIC time.
Is there some sort of upgrade matrix at Jazz?

As per example, Westjet has this for direct entry captains...

Since I’m flying the King Air, does that qualify me to fly the Queen of the skies?
Ash Ketchum
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Ash Ketchum »

Caterpillar wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:06 am
Ash Ketchum wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:58 pm I did my upgrade training almost six months before it was supposed to happen because all the FOs ahead of me were bypassed due to having already interviewed at AC. The bottom 5-10 captains at each base keep rotating out to AC but the majority of captains are senior and won't leave.

Is there some sort of upgrade matrix at Jazz?

As per example, Westjet has this for direct entry captains...
No upgrade matrix. Only requirements are: ATPL, seniority to get awarded the upgrade and of course the ability to pass the training. Lots of FOs from college getting the upgrade awarded with 1500 hours once they get their ATPL signed off.

Most end up going to AC or getting bypassed while they wait for AC to call back before they actually do the upgrade training though.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

That is good news for the ones getting hired that are already ATP! Do you know how long does it take to have the seniority to upgrade, as of now?

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

the-minister31 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:45 pm That is good news for the ones getting hired that are already ATP! Do you know how long does it take to have the seniority to upgrade, as of now?
really depends on base
YVR Q I would say probably like 6 months, they are pretty short staffed
YVR RJ 2 maybe 2.5 yrs

Im more familiar with the YVR base, but YYC seems senior, YYZ RJ is super senior, and YUL RJ and Q arent too bad, probably around 1-2 years depending. Correct me if im wrong :o

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

the-minister31 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:45 pm That is good news for the ones getting hired that are already ATP! Do you know how long does it take to have the seniority to upgrade, as of now?
Well, do you think you'll be comfortable in flying/operating left seat of a Q after 6 months FO ?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Transition9er2 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:32 am

AC is looking to hire 830(+/-) new pilots for 2020 as per their recent equipment bid and 60% of those numbers are to come from Jazz.
It won’t be 830. That is vacancies in the bid but AC has never hired to meet 100% of vacancies.

AC hired less than 600 in 2019 with training department running at full capacity. That will probably be the same for 2020.

I would expect hiring by AC from Jazz for 2020 will be 300-350, assuming there are enough interested Jazz pilots that meet the minimum experience requirements to apply.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Are Jazz able to train probably close to 400 new hires this year? If 350 flow to AC and a few others retire/go somewhere else it'll most probably be close to 400 vacancies...

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

the-minister31 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:20 am Are Jazz able to train probably close to 400 new hires this year? If 350 flow to AC and a few others retire/go somewhere else it'll most probably be close to 400 vacancies...
Jazz has previously trained 350+ new-hires in a year.

However, Jazz will be in slight surplus with the influx of GGN pilots and some impending fleet reductions so likely hiring for 2020 will be 250-300. Hiring for 2019 was just 200 despite significantly higher attrition to retirement, AC, and elsewhere.

Jazz equipment Bid is planned for mid January. More answers likely available then.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Does anyone know if jan/feb GS are filled up?

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

Feb 3rd is full.

windows94
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by windows94 »

Deleted

Stayfly121
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Stayfly121 »

I’ve been in the pool since late November. Hoping to hear from anyone that knows what the status of the Jan-March ground schools.

Thanks

paytoplay
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by paytoplay »

If you don’t mind.. What kinda TT are you sitting at ?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”