Swoop

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Swoop

Post by piperdriver »

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/family-kicke ... -1.4750645

So not only do they treat their staff like shit but also their customers too.
---------- ADS -----------

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Swoop

Post by Loner »

I’d like to know the reasoning behind the Captain’s decision.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Is anyone surprised?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Winner, CAPTAIN.

You're the man, and showed that family whose boss on your aircraft.

Wear those 4 bars with pride.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

That was a call for MedLink to make.

Wouldn’t surprise me though if they didn’t subscribe to that service.

stillflying
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stillflying »

You can all criticize the captain for not allowing her to fly, but it was the right move. If you cannot ascertain whether the girl is fit to fly, you don't let her fly. It is not a call for MedLink if you are at the gate... it's the call for a doctor who can actually see the girl in person.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

SWOOP is poop.
LLCCs are a joke.
You get what you pay for.
Especially in Canada.
Many more incidents like this and SWOOP will be history.

Gino Under

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

stillflying wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:00 am You can all criticize the captain for not allowing her to fly, but it was the right move. If you cannot ascertain whether the girl is fit to fly, you don't let her fly. It is not a call for MedLink if you are at the gate... it's the call for a doctor who can actually see the girl in person.
Assuming Swoop uses MedLink or a similar service, they absolutely will make the decision. Our procedure is to listen to what MedLink says regardless of what a Doctor says on the ground.

stillflying
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by stillflying »

ant_321 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:06 am
stillflying wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:00 am You can all criticize the captain for not allowing her to fly, but it was the right move. If you cannot ascertain whether the girl is fit to fly, you don't let her fly. It is not a call for MedLink if you are at the gate... it's the call for a doctor who can actually see the girl in person.
Assuming Swoop uses MedLink or a similar service, they absolutely will make the decision. Our procedure is to listen to what MedLink says regardless of what a Doctor says on the ground.
If that is the case for Swoop, I would assume that the captain followed that procedure. If MedLink said that they didn't want her to fly because they couldn't confirm why she was vomiting?

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

More importantly if your kid is sick enough to be puking maybe it’s best you delay your trip a bit and not be so selfish. The kid obviously feels like shit let them rest at home.

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

The medical issue aside, was the arguing over the refunds really worth it in the long run? Why do soooo many organizations do this? The bad PR is never considered. That family will never fly Swoop again, and they’ll be sure their friends know. I had the same experience with a winery who flatly refused to take their plonk back for a lousy $15. Guess who doesn’t go there anymore?
I suppose the problem is the bottom line, but short term pain for long term gain is never considered.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

fish4life wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:56 am More importantly if your kid is sick enough to be puking maybe it’s best you delay your trip a bit and not be so selfish. The kid obviously feels like shit let them rest at home.
You obviously have no experience with children. Humans vomit for many reasons, kids especially and it can happen out of the blue.

Regardless, swoop should have just quietly helped them to their destination.

Swoop is poop

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

ogopogo wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:23 am The medical issue aside, was the arguing over the refunds really worth it in the long run? Why do soooo many organizations do this? The bad PR is never considered. That family will never fly Swoop again, and they’ll be sure their friends know. I had the same experience with a winery who flatly refused to take their plonk back for a lousy $15. Guess who doesn’t go there anymore?
I suppose the problem is the bottom line, but short term pain for long term gain is never considered.
Most people will only ever fly Swoop once anyways. Once they have their money there is no reason to try and achieve repeat business from a passenger. That doesn't appear to be the business model.

Slammerdoon
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Slammerdoon »

The medical issue aside, was the arguing over the refunds really worth it in the long run? Why do soooo many organizations do this? The bad PR is never considered. That family will never fly Swoop again, and they’ll be sure their friends know. I had the same experience with a winery who flatly refused to take their plonk back for a lousy $15. Guess who doesn’t go there anymore?

Ok but consider this:

The Captain decides ok a 3 year old just threw up on the ground for unknown reasons but what the heck I'll just risk it. Then midflight she has a medical emergency.... would you want to be in that Captains position then?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Swoop is probably no worse than most other airlines. PAX looked at as self loading cargo, not human beings. Any problems the self loading cargo has, even the little ones, kick them off.

Luckily they avoided a beating in the process, aka united.

And BTW, if you want the prestige and bucks of sitting in the captains chair, suck it up and accept the criticism when you mess up.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

I'd take the advice of a service like MedLink or Stat MD any day. They are very experienced in diagnosing fitness to fly and do so with high success and reliability. I would assume that if such a service was used, the family would have been advised accordingly.

The most disgusting part of this is a complete lack of understanding for the situation. Young children react to new experiences in different ways, including some of them who can lose their cookies. It doesn't make them unfit to travel. Would they have turned around and gone back to YHM or diverted enroute if she'd barfed during the flight? I highly doubt it. But in any case, to leave them in a lurch at Christmas and then haggle with them over compensation/ refunds is just stupid and will come back to bite Swoop in the butt, one way or another.

Last edited by Capt. Underpants on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

fish4life wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:56 am More importantly if your kid is sick enough to be puking maybe it’s best you delay your trip a bit and not be so selfish. The kid obviously feels like shit let them rest at home.
Why read the article right? It’s pretty clear the kids weren’t sick. They probably were just excited.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

^Perhaps/Probably. But you, and the flight crew didn't *know* that for sure. Safest for all involved is to keep them on the ground until the 'sickness' is sorted one way or another. Where SWOOP has dropped a deuce is in handling the fallout from that decision. A positive national advertising campaign would cost them into the $Millions - the cost of this Negative national advertising, what, $5k?

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

North Shore wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:49 pm ^Perhaps/Probably. But you, and the flight crew didn't *know* that for sure. Safest for all involved is to keep them on the ground until the 'sickness' is sorted one way or another. Where SWOOP has dropped a deuce is in handling the fallout from that decision. A positive national advertising campaign would cost them into the $Millions - the cost of this Negative national advertising, what, $5k?
Wasn’t commenting on the crews decision. Only the previous posters comments as to why the parents even boarded on the first place.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

There doesn't appear to be a medical evaluation done which, at a basic level, would have been done were it a Stat-MD/Med-Link type of organization making the call to remove them. There are paramedics in the airport, if you're concerned someone is that sick that they should be removed, why wouldn't you call them to attend?

Return to “General Comments”