Medical exam/drug test/clearance

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Medical exam/drug test/clearance

Post by levinqute »

During what part of the assessment process are the medical/drug testing and security clearance required?

From looking around it seems to be right after you pass the initial in person FEAST testing. Do you need to get it ready for the 2 day boot camp or is it done afterwards?

Can you get it done preemptively?
---------- ADS -----------

kashep
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Medical exam/drug test/clearance

Post by kashep »

I am FSS so maybe it is different, but medical and background checks weren't needed until we were offered the training spot. Regardless, I don't think there's any need to do it until they tell you to.

skyofdiamonds
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by skyofdiamonds »

Once you receive an offer for a training seat you'll get all the details about completing your drug test/medical/security check shortly afterwards. The drug test and security check are both referrals from NAV CANADA directly so you can't get those ahead of time. Might be helpful to look into the medical though, because it would suck if you got an offer but can't pass the medical.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

kashep wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:33 pm I am FSS so maybe it is different, but medical and background checks weren't needed until we were offered the training spot. Regardless, I don't think there's any need to do it until they tell you to.
skyofdiamonds wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:20 am Once you receive an offer for a training seat you'll get all the details about completing your drug test/medical/security check shortly afterwards. The drug test and security check are both referrals from NAV CANADA directly so you can't get those ahead of time. Might be helpful to look into the medical though, because it would suck if you got an offer but can't pass the medical.
Thank you guys for the info, I will look into the medical requirements.

mojoman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mojoman »

As skyofdiamonds wrote, the drug test and background check as referrals from NAV Canada. There is nothing stopping you from getting your CAT 2 aviation medical any time you want. It's on your dime regardless. If you think anything might come up that could delay getting your medical, it could be good to just start getting it ASAP as the time between course offers and course start can be tight if there are any issues with your medical.

That said, you'll be forking out $200 or so for a test while only having a 10 to 15% chance of success in the application process (FEAST and interview/selection camp).

Planes1344
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Planes1344 »

You do the medical/drug clearance after the 2 day boot camp once you receive a training offer. It’s paid for by you about 80$ for the drug test and approx $215 for the medical so doing it preemptively before an offer may be you throwing money away.

sicherheitsfachkraft
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sicherheitsfachkraft »

My recommendation would be to initiate the first steps for the medical as soon as you receive an invite to the bootcamp.

In my FIR, the backlog for approval of a first time medical is not a whole lot shorter than the amount of notice that Nav Canada gives you to get it submitted before your course date. That means that if you need any extra time to submit additional information to Transport Canada, there is a real chance that you may have to defer your course because you haven’t received your medical in time. In my experience, the Transport Canada Aviation Medical department has been difficult to deal with...the lady in my FIR is extremely rude and does not give a shit about you or your employment opportunities. If you expect them to expedite your medical so that you won’t miss an employment opportunity, you are going to be disappointed.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

Thats good to know. I can go to any CAME approved doctor right? Im thinking of giving a few of them a call to see the timeline.

Also can anyone commemt on whats tested? I recently did my PR medical checkup and it was really quick and straightforward is it way more indepth?

atcthrowawayyy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atcthrowawayyy »

I'd say no need to worry about it right now.

I see you are in YYZ FIR, so they give you plenty of time to get medical done once you are given an offer.

Trick is to get it done within the first week of receiving the offer, and you'll get it well in advance, even if they end up needing additional testing in your case. They even follow-up in a few days to ensure that you visited a CAME and got the medical done.

Below link tells you what is tested. Keep in mind that especially for eyesight, people have gotten Cat 2 medical with much worse eyesight than what says. (TC.gc.ca seems to be down at the moment of writing this message)

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... ation.html

9VBOJ
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 9VBOJ »

If an applicant is pre-diabetic, would that be disqualifying for passing Cat 2 medical?

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

atcthrowawayyy wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:26 am I'd say no need to worry about it right now.

I see you are in YYZ FIR, so they give you plenty of time to get medical done once you are given an offer.

Trick is to get it done within the first week of receiving the offer, and you'll get it well in advance, even if they end up needing additional testing in your case. They even follow-up in a few days to ensure that you visited a CAME and got the medical done.

Below link tells you what is tested. Keep in mind that especially for eyesight, people have gotten Cat 2 medical with much worse eyesight than what says. (TC.gc.ca seems to be down at the moment of writing this message)

https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/aviati ... ation.html
This is my plan, dont want to waste ~$200 before I pass the two assessments.
9VBOJ wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:47 pm If an applicant is pre-diabetic, would that be disqualifying for passing Cat 2 medical?
The CAT2 says pre existing diabetic conditions are allowed with some exceptions.

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”