Avro Arrow blueprints on display after sitting in Sask. man's home for decades

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Avro Arrow blueprints on display after sitting in Sask. man's home for decades

Post by golden hawk »

---------- ADS -----------

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Avro Arrow blueprints on display after sitting in Sask. man's home for decades

Post by jakeandelwood »

Ironic how they are on display at the Deifenbaker Canada center.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Avro Arrow blueprints on display after sitting in Sask. man's home for decades

Post by Beefitarian »

Get some copies to those guys in Sprinbank building the replica. STAT!!
jakeandelwood wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:51 am Ironic how they are on display at the Deifenbaker Canada center.
Ouch.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Check the guy's barn, maybe he has the "missing" Arrow, too...

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Beefitarian wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:11 am Get some copies to those guys in Sprinbank building the replica. STAT!!
Never mind that... Get them into a scanner STAT!! Then post them online somewhere.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Those are small blue prints , I would be more impressed if he had the big blue prints and even more impressed if he had the As-Built Drawings .

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

As built? As in reverse engineered after the construction of the prototype?

The Arrow used the Cook-Craigie plan which meant the first planes were essentially production models made with production tooling and thus there was no prototype Arrow save a wooden mock-up for validation. The DC-8 was also built in this manner.

So there would likely only be small drawings with detailed changes or small updates to existing drawings for problems and fixes post production.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

iflyforpie wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:31 pm As built? As in reverse engineered after the construction of the prototype?

The Arrow used the Cook-Craigie plan which meant the first planes were essentially production models made with production tooling and thus there was no prototype Arrow save a wooden mock-up for validation. The DC-8 was also built in this manner.

So there would likely only be small drawings with detailed changes or small updates to existing drawings for problems and fixes post production.
So, the big question, should someone start a go fund me to build one?
Wouldn’t it be awesome to have one for flight testing!

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

It would be great, but probably easier to design a better aircraft from scratch given the 65 years of advances in metallurgy and composites, aerodynamics, aircraft systems, and manufacturing processes.

And considering a modern fighter is nearly breaking the worlds best funded military, I don’t think a go fund me will cut it.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Some aircraft blue prints were actual size . It was how things were built back then . Once built the actual dimensions " as built " were noted and useful notes added to aid the next crew building.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

iflyforpie wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:45 pm It would be great, but probably easier to design a better aircraft from scratch given the 65 years of advances in metallurgy and composites, aerodynamics, aircraft systems, and manufacturing processes.

And considering a modern fighter is nearly breaking the worlds best funded military, I don’t think a go fund me will cut it.
It was partly in jest, but my thought was building it as designed to see how advanced Canada was and actually comparing it to the technology of today, real comparison, not assumed. Of course this would require extremely deep pockets, which I don’t have but I’d kick in 20 bucks, :)

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

2R wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:19 pm Some aircraft blue prints were actual size . It was how things were built back then . Once built the actual dimensions " as built " were noted and useful notes added to aid the next crew building.
Not too many were actual size. Impractical for something like a spar or a wing plank and no need. I’ve scratch built hundreds of aircraft parts without full sized drawings.

Generally the full size is what the mockup is for. That’s where they check the fit of everything but using materials that are cheap to buy and easy to form like wood. I’ll do the same type of thing making a pattern from cardboard or plywood for a large aircraft part to validate it. Of course now and for the last 40 years it’s been done with CAD.

So when a part for the Arrow was made, it was done from small plans from which tool makers made the moulds, dies, and jigs and from there the first full sized parts were made. If it was done properly, there was very little rework afterwards. There are few things more satisfying than making a part from scratch from plans and having it fit perfectly the first time.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

There was another gentleman in Saskatoon who worked as a design engineer on the Arrow.
I believe his name was Paul,Mellin. He designed either the left or the right landing gear. He had about a four foot blueprint of it framed and on his wall.

The pesky Official Secrets Act does not have an expiry date, but I think there might be some more around.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

One of my teachers in University was en Engineer working on the Arrow. He brought blueprints one day in class. Coolest thing in University!!

Going for the deck at corner
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Oh the humanity, displaying anything Avro related at the Dief's haunt...

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

The guys in Springbank have a partially completed replica they have been building based on pictures. I figure they deserve to check some blueprints to see how close they are.

They have finally caught the attention of the EAA, I noticed an article about them in one of the e-mails last year.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

mbav8r wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:38 pm
iflyforpie wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:45 pm It would be great, but probably easier to design a better aircraft from scratch given the 65 years of advances in metallurgy and composites, aerodynamics, aircraft systems, and manufacturing processes.

It was partly in jest, but my thought was building it as designed to see how advanced Canada was and actually comparing it to the technology of today, real comparison, not assumed. Of course this would require extremely deep pockets, which I don’t have but I’d kick in 20 bucks, :)
Deep pockets, or a knack at computer animation:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... I_PgDDPWdo

8)

Will fix airplanes for food.
Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

Fun video.

We can't even build Beavers, Norsemen, Harvards or Lancasters anymore.

Return to “General Comments”