PS 752 Thread locked

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

PS 752 Thread locked

Post by altiplano »

Why was this thread locked?

It seems there is lots of discussion to still be had on the topic.

Also, I notice that posts in the thread, including mine, have been removed.

What gives?
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: PS 752 Thread locked

Post by 7ECA »

Bizarre.

It would appear my posts have been removed as well - goodness I guess saying I hope a diplomatic solution to the manifold crises in the Middle East is found was found to be rather objectionable for the forum...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Personally I thought there was good robust debate, points of view expressed combined with decent knowledge on the subject and location - kinda impressive if I was to venture an opinion. :smt041

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I thought there was some good discussion too...

There were some guys calling each other "stupid" though... but there is certainly worse on this site and they were probably right anyway... I get stupider on here by the day.

Whatever. Not my website. But all the same, was there a violation of terms of use on the site? Or maybe some guys just don't like being proved so wrong so soon? Anyway, whatever...

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Freedom of speech isn't valued here. Just another corporate erosion of your rights.

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

ReserveTank wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:02 pm Freedom of speech isn't valued here. Just another corporate erosion of your rights.
Maybe time for review:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=91458

Their board, their rules. If you can't abide, your freedom of speech is, I'm sure, welcome elsewhere.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

ReserveTank wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:02 pm Freedom of speech isn't valued here. Just another corporate erosion of your rights.
Maybe you should look up the definition of free speech.

It means that within certain limits that you can’t be charged and convicted for expressing yourself.

It does not mean freedom from rebuttal, freedom from consequences, or freedom from rule imposed by people in their homes/establishments/or sites.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Randall Munroe wrote:I can't remember where I heard this, but someone once said that defending a position by citing free speech is sort of the ultimate concession; you're saying that the most compelling thing you can say for your position is that it's not literally illegal to express.
For what it's worth...

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Yes yes, muh free enterprise. Next time an organization does something that you don't like, just sit back and take it.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

geodoc wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:35 pm
Maybe time for review:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=91458

Their board, their rules. If you can't abide, your freedom of speech is, I'm sure, welcome elsewhere.
Sure their rules, but my posts were deleted on the thread and I didn't insult anyone. In fact I was targeted with some pretty irrelevant statements and responded by keeping my posts on topic.

If you're going to erase what people contribute to this site at least stick to your rules when you're doing it. Or just delete the whole thread.

This isn't about rules though - as I said, far worse on this site. It's just some people don't like being proved wrong so soon.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I think you deserve a full refund of everything you paid to join and post on this site.

If you didn’t pay anything, you’re the product, not the customer, and product doesn’t get to moan.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

ReserveTank wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:38 am Yes yes, muh free enterprise. Next time an organization does something that you don't like, just sit back and take it.
Hey, you're getting exactly what you paid for on this site. Maybe you should ask for a refund.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

I have been trying to wean myself off this site past few years but best I could do was a six month exclusion- I am kinda my own worst enemy. Eighty percent of what is posted on this forum doesn’t interest me but on occasion there are topics(PS 752) that tweaks interest, hence “keyboard “ action. Having said that, tis their site and their rules and of course I don’t need to be reminded that I do have options in this regard. Hopefully, one of these days my dim lightbulb will come on..........

:drinkers:

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Like a conversation in the clubhouse, not everything one has to say will be heard, or perhaps even welcomed by everyone. If the majority of what people contribute here is positively received, and helps to generate interest in aviation, and promote safety, it was, on the whole, a success. The bits that fell be the wayside... well... nothing is perfect!

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

In general the decorum on this site has steadily decreased over time. The site and discussions are no where near as useful as they once were. Many very experienced and knowledgeable folks have contributed extensively and I thank them for that. I think many of them have migrated somewhere, or lost interest in being flamed etc.... folks should try to post like they would talk at a meeting of say a flying club. Lots of what gets said here would not be said out loud at a flying club....

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

Russian hackers strike again!

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

AirFrame wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 am
ReserveTank wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:38 am Yes yes, muh free enterprise. Next time an organization does something that you don't like, just sit back and take it.
Hey, you're getting exactly what you paid for on this site. Maybe you should ask for a refund.
If only it were that simple. Forums are a microcosm of your system of rights. You see, somewhere over the past few years, internet forums and apps became the arbiters of free speech, deciding how you are allowed to express yourself in regards to various subjects. It's not just a simple matter of forum rules, it's a matter of politically accepted speech. You believe that a private organization that generally welcomes you because of your interests also has the right to silence you, without any due process, even when you adhered to club rules. If you're OK with that, then you're also OK with other circumvention of legal process. It means that companies should have power over you, because they represent the industry, they're the arbiters, and therefore they say what goes. It means you're owed no recourse should you get fired for not taking on an overage of 50 lbs. in the Navajo. It means that you'd be OK being blacklisted from the industry for a simple navigational or procedural error. It also means Sunwing should be hiring as many Europeans as possible because that's what their club really wants. You paid nothing to join any of the industry "clubs," so you have do sit back while they do what's best for them. Besides, those Euros have the type rating already.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

It's not the moderators fault...a couple users prob went to find a tissue and a hug, but not before flagging the thread.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

ReserveTank wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:53 pm
AirFrame wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:33 am
If only it were that simple. Forums are a microcosm of your system of rights. You see, somewhere over the past few years, internet forums and apps became the arbiters of free speech, deciding how you are allowed to express yourself in regards to various subjects. It's not just a simple matter of forum rules, it's a matter of politically accepted speech. You believe that a private organization that generally welcomes you because of your interests also has the right to silence you, without any due process, even when you adhered to club rules. If you're OK with that, then you're also OK with other circumvention of legal process. It means that companies should have power over you, because they represent the industry, they're the arbiters, and therefore they say what goes. It means you're owed no recourse should you get fired for not taking on an overage of 50 lbs. in the Navajo. It means that you'd be OK being blacklisted from the industry for a simple navigational or procedural error. It also means Sunwing should be hiring as many Europeans as possible because that's what their club really wants. You paid nothing to join any of the industry "clubs," so you have do sit back while they do what's best for them. Besides, those Euros have the type rating already.
Due process is for legal issues. A private forum censoring your speech is not a legal issue, therefore due process does not apply. If the police arrested you for saying the wrong things... then that is subject to due process. You have to be tried and convicted and unless it was uttering threats or something like that it would be thrown out.

Yeah. A company can make their own rules and fire you if you don’t follow them. Then it becomes a legal issue whether they were justified or if it was a wrongful dismissal. If you were spreading privileged company information and it said in your contract or manuals that you were not to do that, you were in breach of contract. It’s unlikely they’d put in writing that you had to fly overweight because that would incriminate them. If they fire you they have to give just cause and prove it, otherwise it won’t stand up in court.

And still... your rights for freedom of speech are not being violated if you are fired. You can still say almost anything you want and not worry about going to prison.

And no... if I’m ok with that I am NOT ok with (real) violations of my rights. It doesn’t work that way. There is a line in the sand and nothing on this forum is anywhere near it.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

All the major social media sites have had blowback and lost/settled lawsuits for arbitrarily de:platforming and censoring contributors who didn't violate terms of use.

Return to “General Comments”