Your experience at BFC or Spectrum

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

DaddyShark
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Your experience at BFC or Spectrum

Post by DaddyShark »

I trained at Spectrum Airways many years ago. I had positive experiences when I was there. I cannot attest to the claims made regarding management and what not as I was focused on the flight training itself and stayed out of politics.

Most flight schools in the GTA have a waiting list. Whether you go to BFC, Spectrum or Waterloo Flying Club the wait times will all be similar.

What you should really concern yourself with is finding a good instructor. Try to find someone experienced who has been around for a while. You will find many Class 4's and 3's want to get out as soon as they can to move up the career ladder. While there's nothing wrong with that, you may find yourself in a position where you go through a few instructors to complete one license.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reach out by PM if you have any questions.
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I wouldn't worry too much about the waiting lists.

Within a year those will be history, coast to coast. Walk in and start training.

Of course, you know what that means.

Buckle up ----

flysky
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flysky »

@toseef How is your experience coming along with Spectrum?

toseef
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by toseef »

flysky wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:56 pm @toseef How is your experience coming along with Spectrum?
Hi Flysky,

It has been good so far. They are busy so scheduling a flight (with limited good weather) can be tough. I like my instructor and the staff is friendly and willing to help.

Hope this helps!

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

mircea172S wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:57 am Thanks for your update.I've recently sign up with Durham Flight Center and so far they seem upfront, their prices are reasonably fair and there's no membership fees.
They're definitely on the better side, but I have flown and worked at much better places.

That being said, I would have no problem recommending DFC to someone in the area.

cametomeinthenight
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cametomeinthenight »

When everyone refers to BFC, is it always in reference to Brantford Flight Centre and not Brampton Flight Centre?

Reading through this thread, I see a couple of people talking about choosing between BFC & Island Air, and their proximity makes me think that they're referring to Brampton Flight Centre, but OP is comparing "BFC to Spectrum" and their proximity makes me think they're referring to Brantford.

With that being said:
  • Does Brantford Flight Centre have a waitlist?
  • Does anyone have any experience going from a totally new pilot to CPL with Brantford?
  • Any recommendations for specific instructors with Brantford?

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

In case the OP was referring to Brampton - I was just there today and asked about the wait list. They said it's been cleared.

I still need to start scheduling training so I'll believe it for sure when I see it, but on their word, there's no waitlist there currently.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:32 pm In case the OP was referring to Brampton - I was just there today and asked about the wait list. They said it's been cleared.

I still need to start scheduling training so I'll believe it for sure when I see it, but on their word, there's no waitlist there currently.
I can confirm this now - the 12 month wait was (according to them, anyway) due to people abusing the reservation system, and they've implemented a number of measures to prevent this from happening. There is currently no wait list - I can confirm that by looking at the scheduler.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Bug_Stomper_01
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Bug_Stomper_01 »

Any current updates on this topic? Anyone getting maintenance done at either of these places? I have some customers in the gta looking to get their fixed wing licenses (already cpl-h) and looking to hangar their planes in the area. Thanks

Return to “Flight Training”