Commercial Pilot Written Exam Preparation

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

golecchr
Rank 1
Rank 1

Commercial Pilot Written Exam Preparation

Post by golecchr »

Hey everyone, I just passed the INRAT with 80% and now its time to write the commercial written. Would really appreciate if some of you could share your experience with preparing for this test. What study material out there did you use, that you found to be the most effective to prepare you? What study methods did you use?

Thanks guys :)
---------- ADS -----------

kaoandy1125
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Commercial Pilot Written Exam Preparation

Post by kaoandy1125 »

I used harvs and harvs only, got 92%
Didn't bother watching the videos just went through the slides, if you really don’t understand something then maybe watch the video or just google it, saved me a lot of time.

revilo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by revilo »

The harvs course is ok but definitely follow the procedure recommended above. Even then it takes a LONG time to do all the quizzes, which you have to do to get the reccomend to take the cpaer.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

I used Harv's pilottraining.ca as well, and got 94%. I also just used the slides rather than the videos. Their practice exams give you a good idea of how you'll do in the real exam. They tend to be more difficult than the real exam.

For my INRAT I just used the books, and I scraped by with just over 70%, so I think Harv's is the way to go!

My technique was to go through each slide and take notes on them. After going through everything (which I think took a month, doing an hour or so per day), I went through all my notes a few times trying to get all the important stuff into my head before doing the practice exams. Then, before the real thing, I went through my notes a few more times.

One trick is to figure out which bits are important and which you don't need to remember. Do you really need to remember every single marshaller sign, every possible aspect of duty times, and every single difference between 703/704/705 operations?

SIMSEK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SIMSEK »

pilottraining.ca +1

Navigation and Meteorology are pretty much the same. You might find General Knowledge a bit harder than PPL. That's it. for Air Law section, go through slides and take little notes. I got one marshaller sign question and recency/currency question, one crossing border and one from de-icing procedure. Besides that, as far as I remember I had a few jet engine questions like advantages/disadvantages etc.

Since you've passed INRAT, I don't think you'll struggle with Lo Chart and I believe you already know VNC navigation.

Meteorology wasn't that different from PPL. I was expecting harder to be honest. So, if you ask me there is no need to worry about it as well.

I'm gonna write INRAT soon and going with Harv's for now. You don't need but just in case, I wish you best of luck. : )

Canadian Float Pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Canadian Float Pilot »

I did my CPL written last summer. There were some things I noticed through Harv's quizzes, tests and exams that were incorrect, or TC rules have changed. One example was the flight and duty hours were changed early last year. The Harv's quizzes did not reflect that.

Return to “Flight Training”