Category 1 AME renewal - color blind

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

paul2011850
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Category 1 AME renewal - color blind

Post by paul2011850 »

HI Steve 10509 and Charlie_LiLi and everyone else, great information here!!

I just went to my optometrist and passed the Farnsworth D-15. Both of you mentioned your results were given directly to Transport Canada.

Steve, what is the fax number that you Optometrist used?

Charlie, what is the email address that you used to send the results?

Thanks a lot here guys, I've been dealing with this for a few months now and almost there.....
---------- ADS -----------

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

paul2011850 wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:07 pm I just went to my optometrist and passed the Farnsworth D-15. Both of you mentioned your results were given directly to Transport Canada.

Thanks a lot here guys, I've been dealing with this for a few months now and almost there.....
Given directly to TC, probably means submitted by the CAME as part of their "report" during the medical. If you've already went for your medical and "failed" the Ishi test, and the results went to TC and you got one of the form letters about either being issued a restricted medical/send additional information - use what ever contact information is contained within to send the results to TC. Or, go back to your CAME and get him/her or the receptionist to send the D-15 results to TC.

Remember, keep a copy of your D-15 results in your files in the event you change doctors or TC does something "normal", etc.

charlie_lili
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by charlie_lili »

Send it to TC to get it on file.
Keep an original print and digital copy (+ one in a cloud)

Last AME visit, with Ishihara errors and hesitations, he told me I'm good to go even so with the d-15 for my commercial career...

joezak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by joezak »

steve_10509 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:19 pm Hey man. I'm minimally colorblind and I'm an airline pilot. I fail the circle dots book test everytime. But, transport Canada accepts two alternate tests. One is a lantern test, and the other is called the Farnsworth d15. Depending on the lighting situation during the test, you could fail or pass if you're borderline. I originally had a daytime restriction on my medical, but I went to an optometrist and did the Farnsworth d15. They faxed the results to transport Canada and I got an unrestricted medical right away. They'll test your color vision at every yearly medical. My doc knows my situation so I do the color plates test, and I fail it he just writes Farnsworth d15 on my report. Transport Canada has it on file. I've never come across an aviation doctor who has the d15 test though. I originally was told I couldn't be a pilot by my first aviation doctor 12 years ago. I spent hours and hours digging through transport Canada medical requirements so I'm somewhat of an expert when it comes to color vision tests and TC.
Hey caption, I just did my Cat 1 but I got a restriction for day light only flying and I'm trying to take it off my medical before I start spending any money on school, I have couple question for if I passed the color prescription lantern test do I have to take this test every single year until the end of my career or I take it once and TC will keep it in my file?

Thank you caption for your time appreciate it, btw what plane do you fly and where are you based?

joezak
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by joezak »

steve_10509 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:19 pm Hey man. I'm minimally colorblind and I'm an airline pilot. I fail the circle dots book test everytime. But, transport Canada accepts two alternate tests. One is a lantern test, and the other is called the Farnsworth d15. Depending on the lighting situation during the test, you could fail or pass if you're borderline. I originally had a daytime restriction on my medical, but I went to an optometrist and did the Farnsworth d15. They faxed the results to transport Canada and I got an unrestricted medical right away. They'll test your color vision at every yearly medical. My doc knows my situation so I do the color plates test, and I fail it he just writes Farnsworth d15 on my report. Transport Canada has it on file. I've never come across an aviation doctor who has the d15 test though. I originally was told I couldn't be a pilot by my first aviation doctor 12 years ago. I spent hours and hours digging through transport Canada medical requirements so I'm somewhat of an expert when it comes to color vision tests and TC.
Hey caption, I just did my Cat 1 but I got a restriction for day light only flying and I'm trying to take it off my medical before I start spending any money on school, I have couple question for if I passed the color prescription lantern test do I have to take this test every single year until the end of my career or I take it once and TC will keep it in my file?

Thank you caption for your time appreciate it, btw what plane do you fly and where are you based?

color_b
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by color_b »

well i was lookin for a way to do this test and i came across you ! you are a life saver . thanks

Return to “General Comments”