Schedule/reserve/layovers

Discuss topics relating to Encore.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Schedule/reserve/layovers

Post by hsilgnepilot »

Just curious what your guys and gals schedules look like for both YYZ and YYC bases. Also, what are the scheduled layovers that you typically do? Is it mostly 4 day pairings? How does the social bid work in terms of reserve?
---------- ADS -----------

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Schedule/reserve/layovers

Post by tps8903 »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:34 pm Just curious what your guys and gals schedules look like for both YYZ and YYC bases. Also, what are the scheduled layovers that you typically do? Is it mostly 4 day pairings? How does the social bid work in terms of reserve?
Most pairings are 4 day pairings, followed closely by 3 day pairings. There is also a healthy number of 1 and two day pairings for people who like those. There are occasional 5 day pairings as well. 5 Days is the maximum pairing length. It is possible to get back to back 3 day pairings however.

Layovers are in most of the cities we fly to with the exception that there are no scheduled US layovers. Some of the layovers change seasonally based on frequency. In the East you will see layovers primarily at Thunder Bay, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City, Moncton, Fredericton, Halifax, St. John's. With occasional and seasonal layovers in Sydney, Deer Lake (maybe), Saskatoon, and very occasional further West.

I don't know what the West layover locations are, I've never been YYC based. However you could guess the usual suspects, Nanimo, Kelowna, Vancouver Yellowknife, Saskatoon, Winnipeg, Regina etc.

Layovers range from minimum rest to 30 hours. I find most of mine are 14-16 hours.

Social bidding gives you an opportunity to bid for what you like. You can bid to hold or avoid reserve. It's not guaranteed, however if you bid properly and are a little flexible you should get what you want most of the time with regard to reserve. I have found bidding is best kept as simple as possible to allow the computer options in assigning pairings. Your mileage my vary.

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

tps8903 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:09 amMost pairings are 4 day pairings, followed closely by 3 day pairings.
Calgary has a lot of 4 days (~300) followed by 3 days (~100).

Toronto has mostly 4 days (~120) followed by 1 days (~100).

This is from data collected over the past six months.

I personally bid to avoid 4 days and prefer 1 days and I have not gotten an overnight or reserve since October.

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

Thanks for the replies folks. How do they determine your base before you’re hired? Is it just randomly assigned? Or do they give you a bit of a choice in the matter?

Also, how easy would it be for a new hire FO to live in YHZ but commute to YYZ if based there? Do any of the YYZ pairings start with deadheads to YHZ and then pick up flying out of YHZ?

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

hsilgnepilot wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:11 pm Thanks for the replies folks. How do they determine your base before you’re hired? Is it just randomly assigned? Or do they give you a bit of a choice in the matter?

Also, how easy would it be for a new hire FO to live in YHZ but commute to YYZ if based there? Do any of the YYZ pairings start with deadheads to YHZ and then pick up flying out of YHZ?
They asked me what I wanted in the interview. They offered me my choice in the offer of employment.

This ain't Jazz. You aren't expected to pack up and move on day two of training.

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:31 pm
hsilgnepilot wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:11 pm Thanks for the replies folks. How do they determine your base before you’re hired? Is it just randomly assigned? Or do they give you a bit of a choice in the matter?

They asked me what I wanted in the interview. They offered me my choice in the offer of employment.

This ain't Jazz. You aren't expected to pack up and move on day two of training.
Awesome. Have an interview in YYC early Feb, so hopefully get some good news in the next month or two. Thanks for your replies.

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

How refreshing and good it is to have an informative, helpful and respectful post on AvCanada! No slagging, name-calling or emotionally immature antics. Kudos.

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:37 pm

Awesome. Have an interview in YYC early Feb, so hopefully get some good news in the next month or two. Thanks for your replies.
I had an interview in oct, placed in the pool in Nov, then got a call for a feb 3 gs. I originally requested YYZ and they said the would try their best and that it was likely, but the gs and base offered was for YYC. Not to say they lied in the interview and I totally understand that they need the FO's where they need them, but i wouldnt rely on what you say is what you get. Just FYI. Best of Luck!

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

I commute from YHZ to YYZ. It's a fairly easy commute in my opinion. As long as you can avoid reserve you won't need a crash pad of a family member to lean on. I eventually got a crash pad anyways, just to make life easier. Still cheaper than living in YYZ.

Loads are generally pretty good from YHZ and lots of service from WJ, AC and Porter. Only late for work once in 2 years.

There are lots of DH starts and finishes in YHZ. It can change seasonally, so you need to look at the pairings before bidding each month. If you get the job, look me up. I'll give you some pointers for the YHZ commute.

Namttej
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Namttej »

172ReliefPilot wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:13 pm
hsilgnepilot wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:37 pm

I had an interview in oct, placed in the pool in Nov, then got a call for a feb 3 gs. I originally requested YYZ and they said the would try their best and that it was likely, but the gs and base offered was for YYC. Not to say they lied in the interview and I totally understand that they need the FO's where they need them, but i wouldnt rely on what you say is what you get. Just FYI. Best of Luck!
I also requested YYZ and ended up getting feb 3rd GS YYC base

yvrpilot82
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrpilot82 »

Keep applying to Jazz. They're flowing over 300 guys this year to AC.
Right now Encore has committed to flow 14 for the year until April. Maybe more to follow. Still at least an 8 year flow to the 737 with 600 odd Encore guys ahead of you.

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

vrefplus5 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:03 am How refreshing and good it is to have an informative, helpful and respectful post on AvCanada! No slagging, name-calling or emotionally immature antics. Kudos.
That can be changed you flap wagon.
yvrpilot82 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:55 pm Keep applying to Jazz. They're flowing over 300 guys this year to AC.
Right now Encore has committed to flow 14 for the year until April. Maybe more to follow. Still at least an 8 year flow to the 737 with 600 odd Encore guys ahead of you.
Or, you can go to Encore and enjoy the company that you work for. There are so many advantages to Encore over Jazz, just as there are the other way around too.

vrefplus5
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vrefplus5 »

Ha plaus, I’m actually laughing at my kitchen table. Flap wagon ain’t name callin, it’s funny as s#*t. New one for me, never heard that before :lol:

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

Does Encore have any type of base in YVR? Virtual or actual base?

Thanks

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

wordstwice wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:49 pm Does Encore have any type of base in YVR? Virtual or actual base?

Thanks
Nope, only YYC and YYZ.

If you want to fly less and still get paid, go to YYZ.

Return to “WestJet Encore”