Are people in the Airlines as miserable as those here?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Are people in the Airlines as miserable as those here?

Post by vermont »

There are a bunch of nutters here, and I'm wondering how common they are in 705 land?

To all the nutters, have fun calling me one I don't really care
---------- ADS -----------

ZBBYLW
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Are people in the Airlines as miserable as those here?

Post by ZBBYLW »

No, the majority of guys I fly with are great. Many of them don't post on forums, and even if they do we talk about skiing, traveling, diving, kids and life more then how the company is screwing us over. If they want to talk about the company screwing us over, the company has a nice press reader app for us to get caught up on.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

ZBBYLW wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:31 am No, the majority of guys I fly with are great. Many of them don't post on forums, and even if they do we talk about skiing, traveling, diving, kids and life more then how the company is screwing us over. If they want to talk about the company screwing us over, the company has a nice press reader app for us to get caught up on.
haha good one on the last bit, good to know things are a lot more pleasant than I thought!

TalkingPie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TalkingPie »

As someone who talks to a lot of airline pilots, my impression is no, they're not miserable at all.

Just today I was speaking with three, all of whom were enthusiastic about telling me about their journeys to the airlines and encouraging me to go hard on my flight training and do the same. One of them specifically said, pointing to the flight deck of his Embraer, "This is a pretty good office to be in."

Yesterday I spoke with three different ones; same story. Whether it's low-time guys or former fighter pilots who've been flying for 25+ years, they overwhelmingly seem to be upbeat about their job when I ask them about it.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

There is no shortage of people in 705 that I would describe as "eccentric". There is something about this job that seems to either attract or cause odd people. Whether or not they occur at a rate higher than the average population is another question. Weird people are everywhere to an extent that "normal" people are probably a minority.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

vermont wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:42 am
ZBBYLW wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:31 am No, the majority of guys I fly with are great. Many of them don't post on forums, and even if they do we talk about skiing, traveling, diving, kids and life more then how the company is screwing us over. If they want to talk about the company screwing us over, the company has a nice press reader app for us to get caught up on.
haha good one on the last bit, good to know things are a lot more pleasant than I thought!
Exactly. There will always be that 0.1% of debbie downers that try to drag you into their web, just keep smiling.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

No, and you might notice most of miserable people here are not at the airlines. They’ll even talk about how miserable it is at the airlines, when they’re not at the airlines.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

vermont wrote:Are people in the Airlines as miserable as those here?
Not anymore. I just signed up here a few weeks ago :rofl:

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Most people who are happy with 705 life are happy because they avoid forums like this.

Me? I am happy in spite of being on a forum like this.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Nah, you have to remember that internet people are like dogs that bark from behind a fence.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

mixturerich wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:27 pm No, and you might notice most of miserable people here are not at the airlines. They’ll even talk about how miserable it is at the airlines, when they’re not at the airlines.
#truth

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

A Westjet pilot recently told me he was bored to death flying the airlines.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

CpnCrunch wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:52 pm A Westjet pilot recently told me he was bored to death flying the airlines.
Bored = Safe.

I love being bored at work. I left all the “excitement” at my last gig. Thank god.

When my families on board I want the crew bored out their mind with all the levels of safety.

Want to have fun at work? Stay in the bush.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

+1.

I'm so bored of cashing big cheques and having so much time off doing all the stuff I love. 2019 was more cottage days, more days on the water, and more personal travel than any year since before I started in this profession.

Besides, A to B is like the smallest part of the job, there are challenges to manage, plus some good crews, some great layovers, some new friends... anyone that's bored isn't paying enough attention.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

altiplano wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:51 pm +1.
I'm so bored of cashing big cheques and having so much time off doing all the stuff I love. 2019 was more cottage days, more days on the water, and more personal travel than any year since before I started in this profession.
What you forget to mention is that you’re paid to be at home while the B737max is grounded: this is a temporary situation and AC won’t let you bring 0 value to the company indefinitely. :wink:
Sometimes I felt bored especially during a 10 hours flight to Europe. But I wouldn’t trade my job, making +200k per year and working 10 days per months (460hrs done in 2019), plenty of time to run my own business on the side; unfortunately my lifestyle will probably change with an upcoming merger.. :(

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

There's a couple miserable people here, but that has nothing to do with flying, they'd be miserable anywhere, and I'm sure they're miserable at home. I think us commuters have a higher level of miserableness than non commuters, but again that's a choice that that technically has nothing to do with the actual job. We could move, but choose to be slightly more miserable getting to work and back in trade for being less miserable at home.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

I'm f***king miserable...

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

No they're not miserable, just whiney.

Oooh, poor me I have to wait 5 Minutes to clear security.

Omg this new document booklet is so tedious!

Ugh, we can't say gender specific greetings anymore. :roll:

These are their real problems, so no, the conditions are great, people just love to complain.

kiteboy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by kiteboy »

Avoid the negative coffee clubs.... life will be good! I love it anyone who complains of boredom flying A-B should try a office job 9-5 for just one week! I could not imagine “not” working all the different shift patterns/places/time zones.....etc!

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

Bored.
yes you are in an aluminum (or composite) tube, where it is minus 50 odd degree c outside, where the air is so thin it does not support life, doing 500 odd miles per hour, with discs spinning at who knows what rpm, with enough jet fuel onboard to set most of a city on fire... yep boring is good.

Return to “General Comments”