Coulson C-130 missing NSW

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Coulson C-130 missing NSW

Post by Flybabe »

"... in a statement, the NSW Rural Fire Service (RFS) said "contact had been lost with a Large Air Tanker which was working in the Snowy Monaro area".

"Local ground crews indicate the aircraft may have crashed," the statement said.

"A number of helicopters are in the area carrying out a search.

"No further information is available at this time."

Looks to be a C-130

N134CG

Really hoping for the best. Have seen too many ex-colleagues lost.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-23/ ... e/11893554
---------- ADS -----------

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Coulson C-130 missing NSW

Post by Mick G »

Wow, this is alarming.....I thought Australia was pretty flat?? I hope there is no similarities to the 2002 incident

Oscar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oscar »

3 reported dead, crash confirmed in the original link.

Oscar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oscar »

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Truly sad but I would like to know the series and if the practice of operating old military equipment under a restricted license is still being done. There is video of one of those aircraft losing a wing on a bombing run circa 2000.

High risk job and truly sad for what ever the cause.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

How separate is Coulson USA? Could the pilots be Canadian or is that unlikely?

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

Daniel the crew was all American. That said, Canadian pilots could potentially work in the US division of the company, with proper legal paperwork. They are one and the same for all intents and purposes.

Very, very sad day indeed.

Courage is the price that life exacts for granting peace. The soul that knows it not,knows no release from the little things; knows not the livid loneliness of fear, nor mountain heights where bitter joy can hear the sound of wings.
- Amelia Earhart
Crazed Windscreen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Crazed Windscreen »

Mick G wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:17 pm Wow, this is alarming.....I thought Australia was pretty flat?? I hope there is no similarities to the 2002 incident
Australia has some very mountainous terrain in the states of NSW and Victoria.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Flybabe wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:02 am Daniel the crew was all American. That said, Canadian pilots could potentially work in the US division of the company, with proper legal paperwork. They are one and the same for all intents and purposes.

Off topic but I had a friend apply for their 737 operation in Port Alberni. He was told ain't going to happen unless he had a USA licence and a green card.

Flybabe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Flybabe »

brooks wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:44 am
Flybabe wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:02 am Daniel the crew was all American. That said, Canadian pilots could potentially work in the US division of the company, with proper legal paperwork. They are one and the same for all intents and purposes.

Off topic but I had a friend apply for their 737 operation in Port Alberni. He was told ain't going to happen unless he had a USA licence and a green card.
100% believe that. For the average pilot, you're on your own to get the legalities covered. The company will not consider you otherwise. The only time I have seen it happen is for managerial capacity employees. My "one and the same" comment basically referred to ownership. Each division certainly has it's own legal requirements.

Again, very sad event. Condolences to all family and friends. Very heartbreaking.

Last edited by Flybabe on Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Amelia Earhart
Aussiecat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aussiecat »

Mount Kosciuszko is the highest mountain in Australia @7300', so my country of origin isn't flat. not quite as comparable to the Rockies. But definitely not flat

Crazed Windscreen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Aussiecat wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:01 pm Mount Kosciuszko is the highest mountain in Australia @7300', so my country of origin isn't flat. not quite as comparable to the Rockies. But definitely not flat
Spent 2 seasons teaching skiing at Mt Buller. Skied over knee deep powder in the gum trees. What a place!!

Glad to see that the ancient forest was protected from the fires. I hiked in that forest back in '91. Funny how the press here in Canada said it was just discovered but the locals have known about it for centuries. They actually had a Forestry Ranger parked in a truck on the road where you get to it asking us questions about why we were there.

What they say is true, nobody is friendlier than the Aussies.
They had drive through liquor stores....I almost didn't leave.

Best way to show our support for this terrible tragedy is to get down there and see this amazing place.
Great people and Great country.
Best wishes to our Aussie cousins.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

The accumulated fatigue on these c130 firebombers can be terrific to say the least; its estimated around 6-8 times that of normal operations. For the sake of other pilots and thier families, I hope they expedite the analysis on the wreckage and debris to determine if the entire fleet should be grounded.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Crazed Windscreen wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:17 pm
Aussiecat wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:01 pm Mount Kosciuszko is the highest mountain in Australia @7300', so my country of origin isn't flat. not quite as comparable to the Rockies. But definitely not flat
Spent 2 seasons teaching skiing at Mt Buller. Skied over knee deep powder in the gum trees. What a place!!

Glad to see that the ancient forest was protected from the fires. I hiked in that forest back in '91. Funny how the press here in Canada said it was just discovered but the locals have known about it for centuries. They actually had a Forestry Ranger parked in a truck on the road where you get to it asking us questions about why we were there.

Best way to show our support for this terrible tragedy is to get down there and see this amazing place.
Is it just me, or this a creepy post in the context of what this thread is about?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Crazed Windscreen
Rank 2
Rank 2

cncpc wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 3:53 pm

Is it just me, or this a creepy post in the context of what this thread is about?
Well if your taking it as creepy it's you.
My connection to this tragedy is 4 fold.

1. I used to fly for a provincial fire fighting operation. And have lost friends in this business.
2. I have had several friends worked for Coulson's family for years.
3. I spent a year in Australia and have many fond memories of the place and friends that live there.
4. I have family that live there that are being affected by these fires.

So if I made you feel creepy by offering my support of the good people of Australia by suggesting that in light of this tragedy that the people would welcome Canadian Travelers with open arms, sorry.

Pacqing
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pacqing »

Creepy ????? where did that come from, not at all but perhaps your over thinking everything, jeez people are wierd

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Endorse.

Not creepy at all. Positively encouraging.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Crazed Windscreen wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:38 pm

1. I used to fly for a provincial fire fighting operation. And have lost friends in this business.
3. I spent a year in Australia and have many fond memories of the place and friends that live there.

So if I made you feel creepy by offering my support of the good people of Australia by suggesting that in light of this tragedy that the people would welcome Canadian Travelers with open arms, sorry.
This is not about you. It is always fascinating how people try to connect them self to tragedy. No body care you went skiing in Australia in the gum tree and a park ranger talk to you.

Crazed Windscreen
Rank 2
Rank 2

Jean-Pierre wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:01 pm
Crazed Windscreen wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:38 pm

This is not about you. It is always fascinating how people try to connect them self to tragedy. No body care you went skiing in Australia in the gum tree and a park ranger talk to you.
So I can't even share an experience with a poster from Australia (Aussiecat) that I have empathy for what is happening down there based on my connections to the place?

Sorry if I offended.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

It is useless posting. We all have empathy but fortunately don't all post about it. I remember on Pprune until a few years back, there would be an accident and the thread would have 20 or 30 posts saying "condolences". Finally the moderators said to stop. It is useless. The forum is to try to get information about the accident. Sounds heartless, I know, but we are not interested in your knee deep in snow experiences on this thread or your empathy as we all have it and it results in unnecessary stuff on the threads.

I could do a write up of my Australia express as well(along with ten other posters) and top it off with sympathy but what is the point.

However, if it is that important for you to share with Aussiecat.....use the private message function.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”