Coulson C-130 missing NSW

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Coulson C-130 missing NSW

Post by co-joe »

Drive through liquor stores and knee deep freshies? Sold.

Hope the wings didn't touch each other again.
---------- ADS -----------

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Crazed Windscreen wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:20 pm
Jean-Pierre wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:01 pm
Crazed Windscreen wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:38 pm
My connection to this tragedy is 4 fold.

1. I used to fly for a provincial fire fighting operation. And have lost friends in this business.
2. I have had several friends worked for Coulson's family for years.
3. I spent a year in Australia and have many fond memories of the place and friends that live there.
4. I have family that live there that are being affected by these fires.

So if I made you feel creepy by offering my support of the good people of Australia by suggesting that in light of this tragedy that the people would welcome Canadian Travelers with open arms, sorry.
This is not about you. It is always fascinating how people try to connect them self to tragedy. No body care you went skiing in Australia in the gum tree and a park ranger talk to you.
So I can't even share an experience with a poster from Australia (Aussiecat) that I have empathy for what is happening down there based on my connections to the place?

Sorry if I offended.
Personally I am far from offended. Can’t honestly say that I know any Australians on a personal basis but it is a spot that I would love to visit, that and New Zealand. I have heard Canadians are held in high esteem in both countries. Please God(whoever he/she is and if there is indeed one) and continued health, the opportunity for a trip down under will avail of itself.

:partyman:

Roar
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Roar »

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Roar wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:23 am https://youtu.be/84Dhkw2PwuE
So?....it looks like loss of visual reference but the video doesn't help, too much background noise also.

Has the video been checked for authenticity?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I noticed an AD was released by the FAA for a whole raft of C-130s due to elevator boost assembly actuator cracking which can cause a loss of hydraulic pressure, and apparently can lead to significant reduction in controllability.

https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/2/ ... -25-20.PDF

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Damn. Potential CFIT accident again. I wonder if the acceleration after dropping the load could cause a sensory illusion.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

The video appears to have been taken more than a mile away from the aircraft track. We don't in fact know for sure if the airplane entered smoke or if that smoke merely obscured the view of it - both are possible. I've seen lots of videos of the Coulson C130 dropping retardant and I'm pretty certain that drop wasn't even close to a full load. What isn't known is if that was the last of a load or if they had more on board - which could degrade climb performance significantly.

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:28 pm What isn't known is if that was the last of a load or if they had more on board - which could degrade climb performance significantly.
I imagine there is an emergency dump option in the event of an engine failure or other emergency. I wonder how long it takes to drain the tanks in an emergency.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Redneck_pilot86 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:01 pm
Capt. Underpants wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:28 pm What isn't known is if that was the last of a load or if they had more on board - which could degrade climb performance significantly.
I imagine there is an emergency dump option in the event of an engine failure or other emergency. I wonder how long it takes to drain the tanks in an emergency.
2.2 seconds to dump the entire load.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Preliminary report here.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/in ... -2020-007/

2 second drop before the crash but only dropped about 1/4 of the load. Clipped a tree with the left wing. CVR was recovered but the last recorded flight was several weeks earlier in the USA. No explanation as to why the CVR didn’t work.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:46 pm Preliminary report here.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/in ... -2020-007/

2 second drop before the crash but only dropped about 1/4 of the load. Clipped a tree with the left wing. CVR was recovered but the last recorded flight was several weeks earlier in the USA. No explanation as to why the CVR didn’t work.
Is the report insinuating that the wing clipped a tree resulting in the crash? It would seem more likely that loss of spacial awareness in sudden IFR conditions due to the smoke might have had something to do with it, and the wing clipping the tree was just a result of CFIT

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Instrument rated pilots - finding yourself in IMC should not even be an issue. I suspect they were having aircraft control issues due to the collision with the tree. I suppose that could be deemed CFIT.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

valleyboy wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:21 am I suspect they were having aircraft control issues due to the collision with the tree. I suppose that could be deemed CFIT.
But the tree is within a few feet of ground impact. Therefore I think it is just the first thing they touched a half second or so before impact.

marlin
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by marlin »

The tree they clipped (assuming it’s the one pictured) looks very close to the point of impact. Not sure if that would be a direct cause, if they were low enough to hit it in the first place. Especially since the wing clipped the ground at roughly the same spot, as Pelmet said.

There was a SIGMET for severe turbulence in the area below 10k, winds gusting 40kts, combined with the low vis and high DA. That may well be situation normal around that scale of fire, but I’m not an expert. These folks were, and I’d be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt for the time being; a mechanical or weather event beyond the aircraft’s performance capabilities isn’t out of the question.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

I suspect there will be factors that haven’t been considered in public as yet, but only time will tell. I have serious questions about an operation that flies around with an inop CVR for several months.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

I'm surprised no one commented on the aforementioned AD, about the elevator boost assembly cracks - can cause a loss of hydraulic pressure, reduced controllability...

I mean, it may be entirely possible that the aircraft ended up low on the drop run and ended up being a CFIT, but you'd have to think an experienced crew would be on the lookout for that sort of a trap.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

7ECA wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:12 pm I mean, it may be entirely possible that the aircraft ended up low on the drop run and ended up being a CFIT, but you'd have to think an experienced crew would be on the lookout for that sort of a trap.
https://youtu.be/pkYkHgOv0BY?t=64

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”