YTZ - commuting in the GTA

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Pilot@123
Rank 1
Rank 1

YTZ - commuting in the GTA

Post by Pilot@123 »

Just wondering if there are any Porter employees here that can give me a realistic idea of commuting downtown and what’s the furthest some of you live. I’m just trying to stay away from the city as much as I can.
Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

totalflyer
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: YTZ - commuting in the GTA

Post by totalflyer »

I’m up at the bottom end of Lake Simcoe and no traffic (early report) I can make it downtown to the parking garage in about 50mins. Longest it’s taken me to get to the city was about 1:45. If I have report in high traffic times I will sometime just take the GoTrain from Newmarket to Union and catch the free shuttle to the airport from there.

I usually bid for 3 and 4 day pairings with early reports (if possible) so as to avoid having to come to the city too much.
Right now with our reduced flying I only have to come to the city 3 times this month.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

We have YTZ-based pilots who commute from YQG, YAM, YOW and YUL as part of the commuting policy if you really want to stay far away!
You will need a crash pad in YTZ. Most of us who do this stay probably 3-6 nights a month in Toronto, less as you get more senior and have more choice of commutable pairings, obviously.

One pilot drives in from Trenton and another from 3h the other direction, but when they were on reserve they all had arrangements in Toronto (need to meet a 2h reserve callout.)

Pilot@123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pilot@123 »

Thanks for the info! It doesn't seem so bad then.

Thanks

Planehawk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Planehawk »

Hello!
You'll be on reserve to start off, and how long you will be there depends on hiring. There are some classes coming up, so hopefully that means things will pick up again, as it has been quite slow recently.
From the people I've talked too, it seems like Hamilton in the west, Oshawa in the east, and Barrie in the north is where people are living and commuting from for a 2 hour reserve callout. Any further and people usually get a crashpad downtown or some people just go downtown and chill, go to a mall, stay at a friend's house, etc.
When you have a schedule, you can do anywhere. People commute on the commuting policy, drive in from St. Catherine's/London/Trenton, etc. Havung a schedule makes it much easier.

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Pilot@123
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Pilot@123 »

Thanks for the help. I was thinking the Hamilton area. Do they often only give 2 hours notice or will they generally try to give more while on reserve?

Planehawk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Planehawk »

Not sure if my last post sent for some reason... so will re-type.

It depends on the kind of reserve you are given. Reserve A is 4-4 and B is 9-9. Reserve A has lots of 2 hour callouts, and early mornings. If you commute, being done early also means you will be in traffic leaving. Having traffic both ways is no fun at all. Reserve B has lots of notice most of the time, a few hours ahead of time. I recommend you try for Reserve B as it gives a much better lifestyle, although when junior you will probably not hold it.

Driving in from Hamilton means you could park in the west for $150 a month, the east for $75 a month, or do a pay as you arrive at multiple places close to the airport. You could also take the train to union station and then take the porter shuttle. Good luck!

Cheers

Highflyer885
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Highflyer885 »

Hello all,

New here and interested in as much info on current parking options for YTZ, pairings to expect for a new FO....Reserve mentioned above is A: 4am-4pm and B: 9am-9pm still? Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

itaserb
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by itaserb »

Highflyer885 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:04 am Hello all,

New here and interested in as much info on current parking options for YTZ, pairings to expect for a new FO....Reserve mentioned above is A: 4am-4pm and B: 9am-9pm still? Any other advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Reserve A is 4AM-2PM, Reserve B is 9AM-7PM, and Reserve C is 4:30PM-10:30PM. You can bid your days off in NavBlue after you complete the line check. You can try to protect yourself from 4-day pairings by placing GDO after 2 or 3 consecutive days on. You can also group GDOs together and have a week off e.g. at the beginning of the month respecting duty regs later on.

Flying-wise right now you can expect 30 flight hours or so to put into your logbook. The credit window for FOs is low and it's around 60-70 credit hours.

There are multiple day parking locations: Loblaws parking for 15$, Marina for 25$ or 12$ before 7AM, and Stadium for 13$. There is monthly parking available but I believe the one on the island is around 170$ and if you don't want to take a ferry every day and park on the mainland it's roughly 210$. There is also a Sushi place parking... Anyway, I don't know any other company that would give up on their employees and never provides any options with parking. However, they do provide a transportation allowance of 30$ for every paycheque. Company morale is high and for now, it's a good company to work for if you don't mind 48K and very little flying initially.

Last edited by itaserb on Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
lowoleo22
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by lowoleo22 »

Line Indoc flights are very scattered time-wise and dependent on the availability of trainers. So plan the first 6 months to require a lot of flexibility. Expect to be on reserve (2hr callout) after line indoc.

In terms of parking there are several options:
  • Day trip/training I recommend the underground public parking lot on the east side of Stadium Rd and just north of Little Norway. $13/day
  • 2+ Days try the garage at Marina Quay West. If you arrive before 7am it's $12 (have to pay in loonies and toonies) and you can stay as many days as you like. After 7am it's $25 but you can stay for your entire pairing.
  • A popular option is the "free" parking through Guirei Japanese restaurant at Queen's Quay & Dan Leckie Way. If you go in and buy something and request a parking pass they will give it to you. Again you can stay as many days as you like but their hours are limited (Closed Tuesdays and don't open until 1130am most days).

skybluetrek
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by skybluetrek »

You guys don't get free parking on the island? That's too bad

Last edited by skybluetrek on Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

What are the parking arrangements for CYYZ/E2 pilots?

cdnavater
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cdnavater »

rudder wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:12 am What are the parking arrangements for CYYZ/E2 pilots?
Considering the ERP and making a move?

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

rudder wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:12 am What are the parking arrangements for CYYZ/E2 pilots?
Parking at the viscount parking garage. I believe it’s $120 a month. $60 is covered by the company. From the garage to the gate is roughly 15-20 minutes.

kiaszceski
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by kiaszceski »

cdnavater wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:11 am
Considering the ERP and making a move?
He's busy updating his logbook :roll:

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

And don’t drive a nice vehicle in there. If it doesn’t get stolen it’ll get damaged by the Fast & Furious maniac drivers or the CATSA gang who will give you lots of door dents when they aren’t following you to your car. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Well hopefully he takes the ERP since he put in for it. It’s seniority based and if you reneg on it it kinda screws junior pilots who wanted it. I know of 2 who did such a thing last year. Total dick move.

Let’s Go Brandon
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:45 pm Well hopefully he takes the ERP since he put in for it. It’s seniority based and if you reneg on it it kinda screws junior pilots who wanted it. I know of 2 who did such a thing last year. Total dick move.
You guys are posting in the wrong topic.

p.s. revised policy is that any ERP offer not consummated by June 30 (signing of irrevocable resignation) is replaced by the next bidder on the ERP list.

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Not to encourage thread drift but I’m clearly missing something. What’s ERP?

CaptDukeNukem
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CaptDukeNukem »

Inverted2 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:30 pm And don’t drive a nice vehicle in there. If it doesn’t get stolen it’ll get damaged by the Fast & Furious maniac drivers or the CATSA gang who will give you lots of door dents when they aren’t following you to your car. :lol:
I park outside. Better for the suspension than going over 50 speed bumps and having to park on the roof anyway. Not to mention the idiots who drive 60 mph in a parkade.

Return to “Porter Airlines”