closing a vfr flight plan

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

closing a vfr flight plan

Post by tazin river »

Hello there

Is there any way to close a flight plan in remote area (no cell phone connections) if you don't have a sat phone? In Canada....

Can a Garmin InReach be used to close a vfr flight plan?

Anything else?
---------- ADS -----------

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: closing a vfr flight plan

Post by valleyboy »

File a flight notification with your proposed full (including all stops and even overnight stays itinerary either with ATC or a responsible person. You should have communications and I'm not sure where you would go without satellite coverage with garmin inreach or a sat phone unless you are north of 80. In reach is economical and allows txt messages bidirectionally to and cell phone. You can get someone to call FSS and close you out but no direct connections as yet. I had actually got on to the CAA to set up a system that a txt message could get a rescue on remote roads with no cell coverage. They reacted like I was totally mad. So a canned txt to a third party to call in is the only answer in both cases.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Are there any RCO or DRCO’s that can be reached in the air prior to letdown?

I’ve used those in remote areas of BC to close flightplans.

Daryl

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

This problem is exactly why I ended up getting a Garmin inreach. If I am flying to airport where there is a landline or at least radio coverage then it is easy, but if I am landing on the water in a lake far away, the last thing I wanted to do was close my flight plan right before I do the second most dangerous thing of my flight and land on the water. So, for me, if I am going to an area with no cell coverage than its a flight itinerary instead of a flight plan and I text them through the inreach to let them know I've landed and am safe.

I've used the Garmin inreach mini for a year and so far it has worked flawlessly.

K

tazin river
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by tazin river »

Thanks Folks

I do have the Garmin In Reach as well and had to contact a friend of mine to close my flight plan once last summer because my sat phone was not connecting.

Ditto on using the RCO before landing....not comfortable with that option....

Normally, I do flight plan mostly via a flight itinerary with a responsible person but sometime I do need to have a flight plan with Nav Canada. Having the option of using InReach directly with them to close would be great.

Not there yet I guess from what I hear.

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”