The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 974

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Transition9er2 »

This feels like a prank or something.

Wasn’t AC looking at minimizing their wide body growth rather than expanding it? ‘87 to replace the ‘67 and no expansion on the 777....??

I’ll wait to see some other kind of news about this, outside of AvCanada, before I believe it.
---------- ADS -----------

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

HAHAHAHAHAHA...

Wow, did you guys even read that? It's actually funny! (For those of you who thought this was real? I have a lovely acre of ocean front property for sale, It's near Tucson, accepting offers now! Don't miss out!)

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

Haha nice one!

That wasn’t the memo he had up earlier... not sure which one had more lies in it!!

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Transition9er2 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:31 pm This feels like a prank or something.

Wasn’t AC looking at minimizing their wide body growth rather than expanding it? ‘87 to replace the ‘67 and no expansion on the 777....??

I’ll wait to see some other kind of news about this, outside of AvCanada, before I believe it.
My guess is CR is grinding hard at Boeing to get some deals on more 787s because of the Max fiasco. I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could expand into a few more markets with more widebodies like Singapore, Philippines, Vietnam, Egypt or SA.

I've also heard a rumor which sounds a bit too good to be true that AC is in negotiation with Airbus to have them take all our Max aircraft off our hands in exchange for a big A350 and A320XLR order. That would be something...

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

and delivery in about 5 years....

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

'97 Tercel wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:18 pm and delivery in about 5 years....
The 15 AT planes are going to hit the fleet pretty fast. Honestly we can barely crew the planes we already have. If they just nix'd the 737's and with the addition of the AT planes, the 330's and NEOs we'd barely be able to crew all of that as well. By the time we catch up it could be 5 years from now anyways.

And hasn't Airbus bumped people to the front in the past if they put in a big WB order? I might be wrong but I could have sworn they did that once or twice.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Airbus reported today that the 320NEO line is sold out through 2025.

Not sure about 321XLR.

The A220 purchase makes the person responsible look like a genius. However, the last minute change to the MAX over the NEO looks less flattering.

Time to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Unfortunately, turns out Alaska is only interested in MAX9 so a tail swap for the former VX NEO’s looks unlikely.

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

Maybe some cancellations coming from China the Middle East and even South America as the economic reality is being realized.....

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

This coupled with Jazz having nobody to upgrade in their last bid. My guess is a all stop on hiring around the corner.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Squid wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:52 pm This coupled with Jazz having nobody to upgrade in their last bid. My guess is a all stop on hiring around the corner.
Doubt it.

Jazz will now start pillaging all the 704 Captains who didn't want to take a $50,000 pay cut. They will have zero issues filling those DEC seats, and in reality it might actually be better for them since someone coming DEC most likely isn't trying to get to AC as fast as possible.

Jetpipe Overheat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Jetpipe Overheat »

"The 15 AT planes are going to hit the fleet pretty fast. Honestly we can barely crew the planes we already have. If they just nix'd the 737's and with the addition of the AT planes, the 330's and NEOs we'd barely be able to crew all of that as well. By the time we catch up it could be 5 years from now anyways."

All the AT planes are already crewed by AT pilots. No need to "crew all of that as well".

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

AT will need more crew once AC takes over, AC doesn't leave airplane sitting on the ground and utilisation on AT fleet will go up for sure, AC pilots fly 600-700h a year, sometimes even more..... Given the shortage of aircraft cause by the 737 grounding I can see a very busy summer for all AC and AT pilots... Even with the reduction of the Asian market, Aircraft have already been redeploy for March.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Jetpipe Overheat wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:08 pm "The 15 AT planes are going to hit the fleet pretty fast. Honestly we can barely crew the planes we already have. If they just nix'd the 737's and with the addition of the AT planes, the 330's and NEOs we'd barely be able to crew all of that as well. By the time we catch up it could be 5 years from now anyways."

All the AT planes are already crewed by AT pilots. No need to "crew all of that as well".
Incorrect. The crewing percentages at AT and AC are very different.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

pilotbzh wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:35 pm AT will need more crew once AC takes over, AC doesn't leave airplane sitting on the ground and utilisation on AT fleet will go up for sure
AT is still hiring pilots with a ground school of a small group every month until the end of the year minimum (and it’s been approved by AC); medical exam same as AC.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

It's still a tiny number vs. what will be needed.

AT has pilots retiring too, so they need to keep hiring obviously. They aren't doing classes like AC though with 40+ per course.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

derateNO wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:07 pm It's still a tiny number vs. what will be needed.

AT has pilots retiring too, so they need to keep hiring obviously. They aren't doing classes like AC though with 40+ per course.
You’re right. About 10 pilots are retiring per year and they are looking for about 80 until the end of the year. Small numbers compared to AC.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

FL320 wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:42 pm
pilotbzh wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:35 pm AT will need more crew once AC takes over, AC doesn't leave airplane sitting on the ground and utilisation on AT fleet will go up for sure
AT is still hiring pilots with a ground school of a small group every month until the end of the year minimum (and it’s been approved by AC); medical exam same as AC.
I don't think AC is in any position to approve any decisions at AT.

I think they would be very careful to avoid colluding on anything as I believe it would be against regulations until the purchase is approved.

Last edited by altiplano on Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Maybe somebody can chime in but I had applied at Air Canada several times in my career. I got the video interview in Feb 2017 as part of the PML program, yet I never heard a word from HR after completion. I'm now at another airline and have applied a couple of times since and still nothing. I even have internal recommends from captains. I figure with 900+ vacancies, I'd have at least heard something by now, even for better or worse.

Anyone have thoughts on this? Or, I should ask if anyone has encountered this as well with some resolution in the end :smt102

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

The internal reference only applies to when the hiring board makes the decision to hire you or not. It doesn’t get you an interview faster.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Well, you're fighting from one of about 350 positions. Up against military, SW, WJ and overseas widebody Captains.

Probably would have been a better idea to stay at Jazz. You'd have been at AC a year already. Guess it wasn't so smart after all to go to Flair for the quick payday.

Return to “Air Canada”