Classic, Q or jet?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Classic, Q or jet?

Post by KenoraPilot »

AHerrera wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:17 pm Hi there. I am curious about how things have changed in the last year.
I am hoping to get a spot in the near future and will be commuting from VAncouver Island.

Does anyone have an insight on what the best choice would be for the YVR base?
I've heard the RJ has a long wait on reserve which would be worse as a commuter. Roughly how long would it take to get off reserve and hold a block.
Would getting on the Q be a better short term solution? From what I have been told, the RJ is generally more desirable for commuters as you can get more credits per day worked and not do as many commutes. Would that be a fair assumption? But if it takes 6 months to get off reserve than maybe holding a block on the Q makes more sense.

Just interested in other peoples opinions. Especially anyone new-ish who lives on Vancouver Island.

Cheers
Bidding into YVR base the Q will have the best seniority for anyone joining now as an FO or CA. The RJ will always run a little more senior on the CA side. The FO on both will likely rise quickly, but to start likely some Reserve but that won't last long. There are FO Vacancies on both the RJ and Q in YVR so hopefully if you're in quick they will fill up positions behind you.

In the March 2020 Bid Pack:
YVR CRJ CA: 8 lines of RSV
YVR CRJ FO: 9 lines of RSV
YVR Q CA:10 lines of RSV
YVR Q FO:9 lines of RSV
(this is all relative due to fluctuating baseline pilot numbers, but gives you a rough estimate of how many you need below you to be off RSV)

Downside of taking a DEC Captain position is as current Jazz FO's get their ATPL's they will continue to parachute in above you keeping you low and possibly forcing you out of your seat.
---------- ADS -----------

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Does equipment matter at Jazz? Step one: hit. Step two: quit.

wordstwice
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by wordstwice »

KenoraPilot wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:02 pm
AHerrera wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:17 pm Hi there. I am curious about how things have changed in the last year.
I am hoping to get a spot in the near future and will be commuting from VAncouver Island.

Does anyone have an insight on what the best choice would be for the YVR base?
I've heard the RJ has a long wait on reserve which would be worse as a commuter. Roughly how long would it take to get off reserve and hold a block.
Would getting on the Q be a better short term solution? From what I have been told, the RJ is generally more desirable for commuters as you can get more credits per day worked and not do as many commutes. Would that be a fair assumption? But if it takes 6 months to get off reserve than maybe holding a block on the Q makes more sense.

Just interested in other peoples opinions. Especially anyone new-ish who lives on Vancouver Island.

Cheers
Bidding into YVR base the Q will have the best seniority for anyone joining now as an FO or CA. The RJ will always run a little more senior on the CA side. The FO on both will likely rise quickly, but to start likely some Reserve but that won't last long. There are FO Vacancies on both the RJ and Q in YVR so hopefully if you're in quick they will fill up positions behind you.

In the March 2020 Bid Pack:
YVR CRJ CA: 8 lines of RSV
YVR CRJ FO: 9 lines of RSV
YVR Q CA:10 lines of RSV
YVR Q FO:9 lines of RSV
(this is all relative due to fluctuating baseline pilot numbers, but gives you a rough estimate of how many you need below you to be off RSV)

Downside of taking a DEC Captain position is as current Jazz FO's get their ATPL's they will continue to parachute in above you keeping you low and possibly forcing you out of your seat.
How could you be forced out of your seat? I would assume only if the base shrinks and you can’t hold CA there, is that correct?

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

link821 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:00 am Working towards getting out of the north and into Jazz in the next year and for me getting my home base (yvr) would mean more then the aircraft I get. But I am wondering if anyone can give some brief pros and cons to each aircraft as far as the amount of flying, type of flying and some general opinions from those who are there now.

Kind regards.
Jet = best lifestyle
Q = most fun

Can't comment on the classic.

I liked flying the CRJ but the crews were all old, and it got pretty boring after a while. On the Q400 you do more legs, and don't fly to as neat destinations but the plane is fun to fly and the crews are all younger. Plus you'll get upgrades open up on the Q400 long before the CRJ so may as well fly the plane you'll probably be a Captain on.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

link821 wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:34 pm

Fair point! Cant say i really understand everything that went on with the new TA but from my outside view it sounds like job security for the next 17 years and a good shot at AC if one so desires?

Also from what I've read it seems like out of all the regionals (in Canada) Jazz is one of if not the better option.
Yes, basically. Plus if you get PFO'd you'll get some YOS for Captain upgrades and the payscale was kind of fixed.

Do 2-3 years at Jazz and if you're not a moron you can probably get a job at AC. 60% of all new hires until 2035 need to come from Jazz alone.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”