Encore wrinkles a Dash-8

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Encore wrinkles a Dash-8

Post by DH82EH »

I think that we are going to eventually find out, that this failure was related to the heavy landing, that the report was about.
Q-400 nose landing gear are never supposed to retract to the rear! :shock:
In the history of Q-400 NLG failures, there has always proven to be factors that are other than design related.
---------- ADS -----------

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

DH82EH wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:47 am I think that we are going to eventually find out, that this failure was related to the heavy landing, that the report was about.
That’s a pretty serious indictment of the people who did the repair work, and with zero evidence to back it up. Would you want that said about your work? Sheesh.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Canoehead wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:16 am What are general airport/runway conditions like up there? The online picture I've seen has some pretty high looking snowbanks in the background. I'm not familiar with Terrace, but my first thought was of Flightexec putting a Cheyenne through a windrow at the intersection in Timmins many years ago.
Really good considering what they have to work with. Coastal climate where an inch of rain turns into a foot of wet snow. Windrows on the edges are very high making taxiing difficult for low wings but none across any runways or taxiways. Runway 03-21 is closed for the winter.

But in IFR conditions only one aircraft can be between the runway and 12,000 feet so they can do a few turns between but can’t close the runway for 30 minutes to completely clear it off unless there is a lull in traffic. We departed in slush.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Canoehead wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:09 am
Draft goes to the stakeholders so they can have their lawyers rip it apart, and then after everyone threatens everyone, they agree on the fluff at the end like we see here.
I haven't been involved in "ripping apart" any TSB reports for quite a few years but I can tell you that the reality is much more civil and less US television legal drama. After the stakeholders provide input to the draft report, separate investigators at the TSB not involved in the initial report review ALL the suggestions and respond. Even when some of the findings didn't support my clients, I was impressed with the TSB investigation and reporting process.

The TSB report is not admissible in any subsequent property damage or personal injury lawsuits.

atc_is_god
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by atc_is_god »

Rooster69 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:24 pm
Victory wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:11 am I wonder if ground workers would walk to their car in the parking lot at the end of their shift and go home or stay inside where it's safe if there's thunderstorms in the area.

Really? Are you aware that during a red alert , ramp personnel are not allowed to be on the ramp? I wouldn’t be walking around on a tarmac during thunderstorm activity. I wouldn’t be walking through a parking lot either.
Airport thunderstorm procedures are ridiculous and YYZ is the worst of them all. Millions of people around the globe are active in the vicinity of thunderstorms every single day without incident. Not to mention that airports are littered with antennas and other structures that would take the strike first. That's basic physics. :roll:

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

atc_is_god wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:32 pm
Victory wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:11 am I wonder if ground workers would walk to their car in the parking lot at the end of their shift and go home or stay inside where it's safe if there's thunderstorms in the area.

Really? Are you aware that during a red alert , ramp personnel are not allowed to be on the ramp? I wouldn’t be walking around on a tarmac during thunderstorm activity. I wouldn’t be walking through a parking lot either.
Airport thunderstorm procedures are ridiculous and YYZ is the worst of them all. Millions of people around the globe are active in the vicinity of thunderstorms every single day without incident. Not to mention that airports are littered with antennas and other structures that would take the strike first. That's basic physics. :roll:
And wet ramps! Also, people who are outside during thunderstorms are the ones who COULD be struck, seriously!
I’d like to call you an idiot but I won’t because I think it’s obvious!

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

atc_is_god wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:32 pm Airport thunderstorm procedures are ridiculous and YYZ is the worst of them all. Millions of people around the globe are active in the vicinity of thunderstorms every single day without incident. Not to mention that airports are littered with antennas and other structures that would take the strike first. That's basic physics. :roll:
You first, Sparky. :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSUMT8lFik8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrRzQbNMfW4

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

atc_is_god wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:32 pm

Basic physics eh? So physics can exactly predict where lightning will strike? Why don’t publish that in a physics journal?

Please, oh please, tell me when you plan on working on ANY ramp during a thunderstorm, I will gladly watch you from the inside of any building. You might not, nay, probably not get struck, but I’ll be there filming. If you do get struck, you will probably win the year’s Darwin Award.

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

I've seen lightning strike the ramp area of an airport just once. Physics chose a spot in the vicinity of a sewer grate 200 feet from any above ground features over all the assorted aircraft, buildings, antennas, light standards, etc. surrounding it.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

"Encore wrinkles a Dash-8"

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

Drift happens.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Is the airplane still in Terrace or did they get it out of there?

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Was still there as of a couple days ago. They have it nosed into a small hangar.

A bit less conspicuous than half on a flat deck trailer in full view of the terminal.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Did it get flown out?

Let’s Go Brandon
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Nope, it's still there. (as of about three days ago..)

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-FKWE, a WestJet Encore De Havilland DHC-8-402, was operating flight WEN3107 from
Vancouver Intl (CYVR), BC to Terrace (CYXT), BC with 4 crew members and 43 passengers
onboard. During the landing roll on RWY 33, the aircraft departed the cleared area of the runway to
the left, contacted a windrow, travelled partially off the runway surface, returned to the runway and
stopped. After the aircraft stopped, the flight crew requested ARFF. There were no injuries. The
damage to the aircraft included the nose wheel collapsing and damage to the right propeller
blades.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

So is this bird back in service?

Let’s Go Brandon
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Disregard I see she’s back in the skies. 8)

Let’s Go Brandon
FurHat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by FurHat »

pelmet wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:21 am C-FKWE, a WestJet Encore De Havilland DHC-8-402, was operating flight WEN3107 from
Vancouver Intl (CYVR), BC to Terrace (CYXT), BC with 4 crew members and 43 passengers
onboard. During the landing roll on RWY 33, the aircraft departed the cleared area of the runway to
the left, contacted a windrow, travelled partially off the runway surface, returned to the runway and
stopped. After the aircraft stopped, the flight crew requested ARFF. There were no injuries. The
damage to the aircraft included the nose wheel collapsing and damage to the right propeller
blades.
Report out for this one;

https://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports- ... p0013.html

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

Factors contributing to the crash (in layman's terms):
  • Runway markings and lights were covered and made it difficult to see the runway
  • The airport cleared 100 feet of runway leaving a foot and a half windrows on either side
  • The aircraft landed left of the centerline by 10 feet and then was pushed further left by a gust of wind into the windrow
  • The left gear hitting the windrow pulled it further into the windrow
  • The nose gear bay was filled with snow and ice, causing the sides of the bay to bow out, releasing the nose gear from it's pivot point and allowing it to fall out.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”