Airport lounges

Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

wja002
Rank 0
Rank 0

Airport lounges

Post by wja002 »

I've recently heard that the plaza premium lounges have opened back up to uniformed flight crew on stby.. can anyone verify that?? I've heard this from yvr and yyc crews..
---------- ADS -----------

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Airport lounges

Post by derateNO »

I've heard this recently as well although I have not tested it.

I got rid of my Platinum card a long time ago because of the change, although if this is true it may be time to reapply.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Well maybe this time the Encore guys will refrain from filling their tupperwares and treating it as a crew room.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

daedalusx wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:08 am Well maybe this time the Encore guys will refrain from filling their tupperwares and treating it as a crew room.
And GGN is gone, so no need to worry about them. Enough Jazz guys will teach them a lesson if they see the new GGN transfers abusing it.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

I never understood the appeal of the “Plaza Premium” lounges. The food was gross.

genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:17 am I never understood the appeal of the “Plaza Premium” lounges. The food was gross.
Ditto! There's only so many ways you can decorate Presidents Choice chicken trips...one day it's Thai, the next it's butter chicken, the next day it's....The food, and i use that term loosely, was disgusting. As i've said before, prisoners get better food than what they served in the lounge. Don't forget about the high sodium, nitrate infested sorry excuse for meatballs, that they served every now and then. Let's not even go near those "noodles"...

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

It was worth it for the coffee.

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
genetic jack hammer
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by genetic jack hammer »

It was kinda fun to see flight crew stacking their plates, going to their seat, less than 20 secs later, walking back with an empty plate... :P

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

I was about to get a specific Visa Infinite card that allowed for Plaza Premium lounge access. I was thinking about the Amex for the AC lounges but couldn't justify it, even as a commuter.

I've only ever used the AC lounges since the wife is an Elite, are the Plaza Premiums that bad? Is there a point to paying for a card to use them?

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:17 am I never understood the appeal of the “Plaza Premium” lounges. The food was gross.
It's not so much about the food, as it is a place to go relax when you have to sit at the airport.

In my regional days, I often had 2-3 hour sits at the airport and the lounge was a great place to get away from the crew room and all the banter that goes on there. Most of the time I really only had a coffee or maybe a cup of soup. But the silence was priceless.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

I was invited as a guest twice. The invitation was appreciated.

However, once there and seeing all of these crew members in uniform behaving like it was their personal lounge/office/restaurant I was not comfortable.

Lounge access with a card and a legitimate boarding pass? Fine. Otherwise, access should be barred.

If those terms are not worth it to you then save yourself the annual $699 fee.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I seen a young, portly AC pilot in there once with a plate stacked 6” high with butter chicken. I think he ate 2 plates full of that crap. :mrgreen:

Let’s Go Brandon
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

I saw John Cleese in the lounge once.

#coolstorybro

3down&loct
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 3down&loct »

Still require boarding pass. Checked 2 days ago.

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Will be a sad day if they start letting flight crew in again. Every time i went in it was never the food. The crews I over heard would do nothing but bitch about how bad they had it and act like spoiled little children.

Trust me when i say the conversations certainly did not make flight crew look proffesional at all. I was more then happy to sit there in my jeans and not be grouped in with these clowns.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

3down&loct wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:57 pm Still require boarding pass. Checked 2 days ago.
As it should be.

That is the terms and conditions associated with the card member privilege.

When they were NOT allowing a crew member access with a legitimate boarding pass was a breach of those terms and conditions. Similarly, a crew member on duty is not a passenger with a boarding pass.

It was never very complicated. But crew members were being ‘sold’ on a different deal by the AMEX commissioned sales staff in the terminals.

Hopefully things will return to normal, lounges will not be de facto crew lounges, and crew members travelling whether on business or leisure with legitimate boarding passes will have the same rights as all of the other card holders.

Cargo Fire
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cargo Fire »

Yup. As a former overseas commuter on paid tickets, the lounges were great for extended layovers. Then on return to Canada I saw and worked with a bunch of entitled idiots that figured they were "owed" the lounge privileges as they paid $225 to a guy that was adding 10 people on his card and turning a profit for himself too. I had an FO swipe several Coors Lite and stuff them quickly into his lunch bag for the hotel later. I asked him WTF and he said he paid and was "entitled" to free beer like other patrons. I told him that him and the GGN pilots who stocked their lunch bags were what gave us pilots a shitty name and would result in us getting banned. He got offended and told me he paid and again, "entitled" . That entitled word sums up what's wrong with our industry now. I'm glad we got thrown out. As a business person I would have tossed our asses out of there long ago.

I only use my passes now when on SBY tickets travel in civvies or when I buy full fare tickets as SBY is becoming harder and harder as we all know. I say keep the free loading "entitled" (you all know the age group) out.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Has nothing to do with age group. I know more than a handful of entitled genX and BOOMERS.

It's an attitude problem and that spans all ages.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

DanWEC wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:13 pm I was about to get a specific Visa Infinite card that allowed for Plaza Premium lounge access. I was thinking about the Amex for the AC lounges but couldn't justify it, even as a commuter.

I've only ever used the AC lounges since the wife is an Elite, are the Plaza Premiums that bad? Is there a point to paying for a card to use them?
I think you have to be a paying customer for AC lounges with a ticket?

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

Cargo Fire wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:11 pm Yup. As a former overseas commuter on paid tickets, the lounges were great for extended layovers. Then on return to Canada I saw and worked with a bunch of entitled idiots that figured they were "owed" the lounge privileges as they paid $225 to a guy that was adding 10 people on his card and turning a profit for himself too. I had an FO swipe several Coors Lite and stuff them quickly into his lunch bag for the hotel later. I asked him WTF and he said he paid and was "entitled" to free beer like other patrons. I told him that him and the GGN pilots who stocked their lunch bags were what gave us pilots a shitty name and would result in us getting banned. He got offended and told me he paid and again, "entitled" . That entitled word sums up what's wrong with our industry now. I'm glad we got thrown out. As a business person I would have tossed our asses out of there long ago.

I only use my passes now when on SBY tickets travel in civvies or when I buy full fare tickets as SBY is becoming harder and harder as we all know. I say keep the free loading "entitled" (you all know the age group) out.
Entitlement isn't limited to age. Go to a costco and see how many carts are lying in the road because people feel too entitled to put them back

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”