FEAST Questions

Topics related to hiring and course information should be placed here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

FEAST Questions

Post by levinqute »

Assuming the wiki article on the test is still accurate, I was just wondering if NAV CAN has an English testing section like the wiki suggests. From researching past posts it seems like there is an extremely difficult "voicemail" section is this part of FEAST english section or is that part of the old wsim?

Also can anyone comment on how specific parts are weighed? I know you sign an NDA but I was doing some cube folding practice questions and boy do I suck at those. If I hypothetically do above average on the rest of the assessment including DART/Multipass would I be okay doing subpar/failing the spatial/cube folding test? Am I likely to fail if I do bad on one part?
---------- ADS -----------

atcthrowawayyy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: FEAST Questions

Post by atcthrowawayyy »

I don't think there is a voicemail section anymore in FEAST, but you may have something similar, that tests your listening skills. Sorry, I can't reveal more due to NDA, and it would be unfair advantage to you over others.

As far as results go, no one knows. I don't think anyone except for someone from Nav Canada knows what is considered as pass or fail. And I don't think they will be revealing it.

After giving FEAST, I realised that the Wikipedia article is quite accurate.

The best prep you can have for FEAST is make sure you are well rested (good sleep), completely fresh, and have max alertness level for the test.

Levines77
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Levines77 »

Does anyone know if pencil and paper are allowed while doing FEAST?

pupelarajaka
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by pupelarajaka »

no pen and paper allowed

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

Thanks for confirming the English section, I guess the last part of that is similar to the old voicemail test. Sucks we dont get paper.

Also to add, anyone willing to confirm we get tested on both DART and "Multipass"? The wiki has a good description of DART but not multipass or is multipass the "strip management display" thats described on the wiki? Lots of people talk about it on reddit not here.

Thanks to anyone whos willing to help! I know I cant practice these things buts its a little more comforting to know what to expect.

Planes1344
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Planes1344 »

To Be completely honest with you I went into FEAST having read the WIKI page once and With No Practice and no expectations(Also 4 hours of sleep due to a few cancelled flights) and it was almost nice not worrying about it too much as they tell you in the room people who practice the FEAST test to pass it are at an unfair advantage while also more likely to fail out of the training. No one knows which parts are weighted more than others so i wouldn't go into it like a test where you start subtracting things that go wrong.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

Planes1344 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:58 am To Be completely honest with you I went into FEAST having read the WIKI page once and With No Practice and no expectations(Also 4 hours of sleep due to a few cancelled flights) and it was almost nice not worrying about it too much as they tell you in the room people who practice the FEAST test to pass it are at an unfair advantage while also more likely to fail out of the training. No one knows which parts are weighted more than others so i wouldn't go into it like a test where you start subtracting things that go wrong.
Fair enough lol, the student in me is freaking out because you cant prep for it and what practice ive been doing i did horrible, stupid cube folding questions. Thanks for the heads up tho.

M92
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M92 »

levinqute wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:00 am
Planes1344 wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:58 am To Be completely honest with you I went into FEAST having read the WIKI page once and With No Practice and no expectations(Also 4 hours of sleep due to a few cancelled flights) and it was almost nice not worrying about it too much as they tell you in the room people who practice the FEAST test to pass it are at an unfair advantage while also more likely to fail out of the training. No one knows which parts are weighted more than others so i wouldn't go into it like a test where you start subtracting things that go wrong.
Fair enough lol, the student in me is freaking out because you cant prep for it and what practice ive been doing i did horrible, stupid cube folding questions. Thanks for the heads up tho.
Impending Essay:

Not going to go into specifics but don’t stress, I just finished as of 10 minutes ago, definitely get a good nights rest and if you’re travelling leave the day before you were thinking. It sucks paying more to stay somewhere but holy smokes that’s not necessarily the hardest test, but it’s a long day. The first half blew by and while I had my ups and downs, it felt okay. The second portion, well that’s another story.

Maybe you’ll have better luck, maybe not, heck I read everyone feels like they did bad/failed and after completing the whole day I see why. Just keep your composure and when you know you nailed something, even one answer or one part of something, just use it as a confidence booster to get momentum back.

I also just graduated and studying definitely was wanted but you really can’t study and if you do, you’re 100% cheating. Maybe not cheating but once you take the test you’d know what I mean. They give you plenty of practice.

The biggest takeaway, READ READ READ AND TAKE YOUR TIME. I didn’t miss anything but you know when you see someone finish and you’re like “shoot I’m an idiot?” Well it doesn’t matter and honestly I read one of the passages over and over until I got it “right.” Even then I messed up the first practice run but then I got the hang of it. If I somehow pull this one out, I definitely did it because I kept reading until I was like “I just have to try this.”

Hopefully I’ll see whomever whenever at the next phase!

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

M92 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:16 pm
Impending Essay:

Not going to go into specifics but don’t stress, I just finished as of 10 minutes ago, definitely get a good nights rest and if you’re travelling leave the day before you were thinking. It sucks paying more to stay somewhere but holy smokes that’s not necessarily the hardest test, but it’s a long day. The first half blew by and while I had my ups and downs, it felt okay. The second portion, well that’s another story.

Maybe you’ll have better luck, maybe not, heck I read everyone feels like they did bad/failed and after completing the whole day I see why. Just keep your composure and when you know you nailed something, even one answer or one part of something, just use it as a confidence booster to get momentum back.

I also just graduated and studying definitely was wanted but you really can’t study and if you do, you’re 100% cheating. Maybe not cheating but once you take the test you’d know what I mean. They give you plenty of practice.

The biggest takeaway, READ READ READ AND TAKE YOUR TIME. I didn’t miss anything but you know when you see someone finish and you’re like “shoot I’m an idiot?” Well it doesn’t matter and honestly I read one of the passages over and over until I got it “right.” Even then I messed up the first practice run but then I got the hang of it. If I somehow pull this one out, I definitely did it because I kept reading until I was like “I just have to try this.”

I really thought the first part of the test was harder and DART/multi pass was the easiet and fun to do. Although i probably bombed the audio portion of multipass the "sequences" were so hard to follow and of course the dreaded cube folding questions.

Most ppl in my group said similar where no on realky knew how well they did (me either).

At least I get to find out relatively soon since our tests were earlier then yours.

Also I agree no way to prep for it really and after writing the test I now know why people wont share info on the test.

M92
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M92 »

levinqute wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:28 pm
M92 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:16 pm

Impending Essay:

I really thought the first part of the test was harder and DART/multi pass was the easiet and fun to do. Although i probably bombed the audio portion of multipass the "sequences" were so hard to follow and of course the dreaded cube folding questions.

Most ppl in my group said similar where no on realky knew how well they did (me either).

At least I get to find out relatively soon since our tests were earlier then yours.

Also I agree no way to prep for it really and after writing the test I now know why people wont share info on the test.
Yep, it was pretty straight forward. DART wasn’t as bad once I got past the first practice scenario, I had to have read the instructions 10 time’s to get it and even then it took real time practice but I did fine there (I think). I found multipass was difficult, notably the audio portion.

I think for Gander they said the turnaround is actually going to be the quickest of anywhere, they finish testing Monday and are looking to notify people in 2-3 weeks (in March) to get them out for Bootcamp in April. The question is, I’m not sure where my file is because HR said they moved it to Gander, but that was for assessments and the HR person yesterday mentioned that those dates were for people who would be hired in Gander. Where do I fit in that? Who knows.

levinqute
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by levinqute »

Thats a question for NAVCAN but I think you end up in whatever FIR you tested for. Dont quote me on that.

Same timeline for us (YYZ) ours finished ln the 14th and the guy doing our tests saidnwe would find out end of Feb to early March for boot camp in April offers before May.

Good luck!

M92
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M92 »

Do they notify you either via Work Day or email if you fail or pass but didn’t make the next round of hiring? Just hoping it’s not like other jobs where it’s a state of limbo.

YYZKammMaliok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZKammMaliok »

M92 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:00 pm Do they notify you either via Work Day or email if you fail or pass but didn’t make the next round of hiring? Just hoping it’s not like other jobs where it’s a state of limbo.
Yeah, from my research, what I gathered is that they'll send you an email stating if your score fell above or below the minimum pass mark and if you were selected to proceed or not. Also, you should see something other than "Status: Assessment" on the Workday website. I think if you passed it should say "Status: Interview".

Hope this helps,

Kamm

M92
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M92 »

YYZKammMaliok wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:36 pm
M92 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:00 pm Do they notify you either via Work Day or email if you fail or pass but didn’t make the next round of hiring? Just hoping it’s not like other jobs where it’s a state of limbo.
Yeah, from my research, what I gathered is that they'll send you an email stating if your score fell above or below the minimum pass mark and if you were selected to proceed or not. Also, you should see something other than "Status: Assessment" on the Workday website. I think if you passed it should say "Status: Interview".

Hope this helps,

Kamm
Thanks!

shadow17
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shadow17 »

Just got my results! Passed FEAST and invited for bootcamp! I chose March 16-17 so hopefully see some people there in YEG!

YYZKammMaliok
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by YYZKammMaliok »

shadow17 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:16 am Just got my results! Passed FEAST and invited for bootcamp! I chose March 16-17 so hopefully see some people there in YEG!

Omg, actually so excited for you. Well done and congrats!!
I’m in YYZ and haven’t received anything as of yet. 🤞

shadow17
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shadow17 »

YYZKammMaliok wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:03 am
shadow17 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:16 am Just got my results! Passed FEAST and invited for bootcamp! I chose March 16-17 so hopefully see some people there in YEG!

Thank you!! I hope you hear soon!

M92
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M92 »

shadow17 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:31 pm

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you feel you did on the morning part of the FEAST in comparison to the second and third parts - then of course overall?

Edit: right after the test of course, trying to gauge where I should put my already low expectations haha

shadow17
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by shadow17 »

M92 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:41 pm

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you feel you did on the morning part of the FEAST in comparison to the second and third parts - then of course overall?

Edit: right after the test of course, trying to gauge where I should put my already low expectations haha
The morning I felt like I had done well, but it was difficult to decide if what I had done was correct or just felt correct (if that makes sense). The afternoon I felt much more sure about my performance. Each portion of the afternoon had its challenges and wrinkles to iron out but I was much more confident I had done well. After the whole thing I felt pretty confident but also wasn't sure what the importance of each test was or what the weighted value of each was either. That is probably the most convoluted way I could have explained lol hopefully helpful (?)

M92
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by M92 »

shadow17 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:41 pm
M92 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:41 pm

The morning I felt like I had done well, but it was difficult to decide if what I had done was correct or just felt correct (if that makes sense). The afternoon I felt much more sure about my performance. Each portion of the afternoon had its challenges and wrinkles to iron out but I was much more confident I had done well. After the whole thing I felt pretty confident but also wasn't sure what the importance of each test was or what the weighted value of each was either. That is probably the most convoluted way I could have explained lol hopefully helpful (?)
It definitely makes sense! I have that same feeling. I know where I felt I did well and where I felt I struggled but who knows how that actually was. Gosh, I hope the flight to Gander was worth it (for me).

Return to “NavCanada Hiring”