How long does it take to get cat 1 medical?

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

yjh02061
Rank 0
Rank 0

How long does it take to get cat 1 medical?

Post by yjh02061 »

Hello.

I heard that it can take about 3 months to get Canada category 1 medical these day.
I want to know if this is true.

Also, my flight school requires me to complete my medical in order to start my training.
If it takes about 3 months to get medical, then is there any temporary medical that I can get in Canada?
Or is there any form of verification which can approve that I pass the medical before I receive result from Transport Canada?(I even didn’t take medical check yet.)
I don’t want to delay my training any more.

Are there some methods other than just waiting for medical?
---------- ADS -----------

TurkeyFarmYQX
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How long does it take to get cat 1 medical?

Post by TurkeyFarmYQX »

Definitely doesn't take three months. Mine was less than a month.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Depends on region and workload at the time.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

I’ve held a cat1 for about 25 years,renewed without issues end of June & heard nothing until I sent them an email in December; got an email back next day saying it was just processed & here’s the bill. Pacific Region.

Daryl

Pilotdaddy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Pilotdaddy »

Was told 90 days was typical (assuming no follow-ups) for the Ontario region when I got mine last year.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

It is an excellent question. They are not in a hurry. And if you stopped flying for many many reasons, and want to go back, which they are immediately suspicious of: 7 months and counting. They are hoping I just give up, but I am not giving up, and you shouldn't either. Try to be patient, we will all get there.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

I had my Cat I done on January 15th. I was at the North York TC office on the 20th of February, and they told me there that they were still processing medicals from November then. So, yeah, a 3 or 4 month wait.

My instructor has recommended I get a Cat IV medical in the meantime, which is just a form countersigned by your doctor affirming that you have no medical conditions that may incapacitate you while in command of an aircraft. A student pilot permit can be issued with a Cat IV medical which would allow you to solo. You would, however, still need the Cat I for your CPL/PPL (assuming you're not also waiting on a Cat III). Might be worth looking into.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

You don't need a cat 1 to start training, you need it in hand to do the flight test. Correct me if I'm wrong...A Cat 3 should do, but obviously you want to know you can get the cat 1 before you spend too much money.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Why would you bother with a category 3 medical, then spend another hour with the doctor and another $200 to get a category 1?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
paytoplay
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by paytoplay »

Took me 7 weeks from the exam till it was issued and then placed in the mail through the Ontario region and that was with weekly phone calls for updates.

yjh02061
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yjh02061 »

Thank you guys. Helped a lot!!

A321
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by A321 »

Does anyone have recent experience (RE: Processing time) applying for a CAT 1 medical in the Prairie Region? As well, does anyone know if having held a previous CAT 1 (20 years ago) and still have the LVC with the blank for the temporary Physician Signature... does this reduce turn around time for a CAT1 vs starting from scratch as an initial CAT 1 applicant?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

IT probably increases the turnaround time, as your previous medical records will have to be retrieved from the archive, which was outsourced to Malaysia in 2006.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Airbusdriver69
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Airbusdriver69 »

yjh02061 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:58 pm Thank you guys. Helped a lot!!
Did you get it yet?

How long did it take? And which region are you in?

Thanks

yjh02061
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by yjh02061 »

Yes I got it. It took roughly 3-4months. Sorry for late reply just checked this. In Waterloo region.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

A321 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:19 pm Does anyone have recent experience (RE: Processing time) applying for a CAT 1 medical in the Prairie Region? As well, does anyone know if having held a previous CAT 1 (20 years ago) and still have the LVC with the blank for the temporary Physician Signature... does this reduce turn around time for a CAT1 vs starting from scratch as an initial CAT 1 applicant?
I didn't hold a CAT 1, but I did hold a CAT 3 25 years prior to switching careers. I would guesstimate that retrieving that old CAT 3 out of archives added a couple of months to the processing time. For reference, my initial CAT 1 was done 2020/01/15 and I got my sticker in the mail 2020/05/20. I didn't have any complicating factors or restrictions other than "glasses or contact lenses must be worn", either then or now. I did need to poke and prod them a couple of times. Bear in mind that my wait time was less affected by Covid than it would have been if I started in 2021.

[edit]
Ontario region.
[/edit]

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
hweir
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by hweir »

paytoplay wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:05 pm Took me 7 weeks from the exam till it was issued and then placed in the mail through the Ontario region and that was with weekly phone calls for updates.
Do you have the number that you reached them at? I am struggling to get a hold of them.

Return to “General Comments”