Why does everyone want to work at Air Canada?

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Why does everyone want to work at Air Canada?

Post by nightbird »

Until the next recession....
---------- ADS -----------

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

I mean I understand the thought is Air Canada isn't going anywhere no matter how bad it gets, but Both Sunwing and even more so Transat have been around for a while now. I don't believe they are all THAT vulnerable anymore. I mean Sunwing is turning 14 and Transat is literally 2 months younger than me. 32 years isn't anything to sneeze at.

JohnnyHotRocks
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JohnnyHotRocks »

Lots of you were not in the industry prior to 9-11 were you?

Alcoholism
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Alcoholism »

JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:08 pm Lots of you were not in the industry prior to 9-11 were you?
I was johnnynotsohotrocks
nightbird wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:46 pm Until the next recession....
Yes how many times has the current airlines in Canada declared or about to declare bankruptcy in the past say 20 years? AC 2, everyone else 0. Until the next recession loser

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

Alcoholism wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:26 pm
JohnnyHotRocks wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:08 pm Lots of you were not in the industry prior to 9-11 were you?
Yes how many times has the current airlines in Canada declared or about to declare bankruptcy in the past say 20 years? AC 2, everyone else 0. Until the next recession loser
How many Canadian airlines started between 1930 and now are still around?

dumbbell daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dumbbell daddy »

TSAM wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:43 pm Both SW and TS are the best kept secrets in Canada.
+1

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Tail-Chaser wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:13 am
I wonder if that’s what the low seniority guys who were laid off from Air Canada were saying? “Gee honey, I’ve been laid off, but my company has been around since 1930!”

Meanwhile the guys who lost their jobs at C3, Jetsgo, Skyservice, etc went to Westjet when times were good or went overseas and lived happily ever after.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

iflyforpie wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:24 am
Tail-Chaser wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:13 am

I wonder if that’s what the low seniority guys who were laid off from Air Canada were saying? “Gee honey, I’ve been laid off, but my company has been around since 1930!”

Meanwhile the guys who lost their jobs at C3, Jetsgo, Skyservice, etc went to Westjet when times were good or went overseas and lived happily ever after.
That's kinda my point. I don't think it a was a good argument to say "Westjet, SW, or AT have never declared bankruptcy so they're better options" or something like that when tons of Airlines went under in the 2000s. The current ones might not have, but that doesn't mean they're immune.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Tail-Chaser wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:13 am How many Canadian airlines started between 1930 and now are still around?
None. Altho the name 'Air Canada' is still painted on the sides of the airplanes, the company has been thru numerous corporate changes and restructures over time, including a bankruptcy that sent the old company down the tubes and spawned a new one that continues to paint 'Air Canada' on the side of the airplanes, but is in fact a completely different corporate entity vs the original Air Canada. That way it works, during liquidation the receiver will sell all of the assets with value, and one of the value assets in this case is the name, and the new corp rising out of the ashes purchases the name and the airplanes that already have that name painted on the side. But the same entity it is not, and never will be again. The Air Canada of the 30's is long gone.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

The Air Canada of the 30's is long gone.
In the thirties it was called Trans Canada Airlines the name change to Air Canada did not come until 1964.

a380super
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by a380super »

There is not black or white answer to the question above.
AC is not for everybody ..same for SWG ..WJ..AT...
It depends whats your priority.
Im at SWG..and we are loosing guys here going to AC ..including very senior one...ready to take a serious pay cut! There is a reason i guess..
The long term benefits are the key point in my opinion AC)...especially if you have family, kids..and not too old.(
Yes SWG offers a lot of days off...european deployment...layovers down south...but again this is not for.everybody...if you like it yes SWG is for you and if you don't mind to fly the 737 for the rest of your career down south and back then don't go to AC go to SWG.
One think is sure..for long term benefit.salary. AC is most probably the best in Canada..but in term of life style.. maybe not..
Again nothing is black or white.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I will answer from a completely detached position. It used to be the only big game in town, so prestige: national carrier and all that. Also, there really isn't much money to be made working as a pilot in Canada, so the carrot, of big airplane and big money, is obviously appealing. As you get older, things change, people stop and breathe a bit, and realise that what you thought, wasn't necessarily true. It is easy to go anywhere else after Air Canada if one doesn't like it, but pretty hard to go the other way, these times excepted. Nobody in my immediate peer group got there when I was at it regularly, and people outside aviation could never understand why. I think the short answer then is: because it isn't easy, they only take the best, and it is a good feeling to be wanted.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Why?

Well from my perspective it's the "safest" airline job in Canada. I'm also not after the fastest way to a WB left seat and will likely ride up the lists on junior aircraft since lifestyle is more important to me than making $300k a year. I'll be happy to make $150k working 10 days a month for the rest of my life. I wish we got paid what the Americans do, but we don't. So I take what I can get.

I'm still 10x better off than virtually every single on of my peers who all have degrees and work 9-5 jobs for under 100k.

There were other options for lifestyle jobs, but at the end of the day I wanted a job I can more or less count on being there in 30 years.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

derateNO wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:51 pm Why?

Well from my perspective it's the "safest" airline job in Canada. I'm also not after the fastest way to a WB left seat and will likely ride up the lists on junior aircraft since lifestyle is more important to me than making $300k a year. I'll be happy to make $150k working 10 days a month for the rest of my life. I wish we got paid what the Americans do, but we don't. So I take what I can get.

I'm still 10x better off than virtually every single on of my peers who all have degrees and work 9-5 jobs for under 100k.

There were other options for lifestyle jobs, but at the end of the day I wanted a job I can more or less count on being there in 30 years.
Safest airline job? Did you know that WestJet just got $5 billion infused into it?

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

Onex did not infuse 5 billion into Westjet. They purchased the shares for 5B. If history is any indicator this private equity firm will begin wringing all those dollars back out of the company and loading up the WJ balance sheet with the costs of purchase.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:08 am
derateNO wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:51 pm Why?

Safest airline job? Did you know that WestJet just got $5 billion infused into it?
And?

They also got bought by a company known for chopping shit up.

Return to “Employment Forum”