Post by ogopogo »

---------- ADS -----------

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Pretty sobering opinion

Post by GhostRider6 »

Yeah...

That’s pretty bleak. Where’s this guy getting his predictions from? Is this guy’s last name Nostradamus? Does he know Shipton? Does he have a crystal ball like Sauron? Saruman? Seeing stones aren’t toys ya know .. Gandalf would agree.

I’d agree that the media is whipping up chaos and the manufacturing consent part but holy shit.. this guy is going to give me hemorrhoids from my sphincter tightening to the point of where I’ll need to visit a colonic. That, in itself, is more concerning than coronavirus. Wait! What if the water is tainted at the colonic and or there is an epic poo explosion because the backup is so severe due to sphincter tightening ... the horror ... the horror. What if the sewer system cannot handle the epic poo explosion and the sewer system spontaneously combusts from the methane backup.

I hope this guy has retired ... its cause for some concern. But .. maybe not to this extent.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I have four more personal, long range travel trips planned for this year, so I'm going anyways. Done two since Oct. Hand sanitizer...

ogopogo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogopogo »

GhostRider6 wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:26 pm Y

I hope this guy has retired ... its cause for some concern. But .. maybe not to this extent.
He's a US-based 767 FO who blogs about aviation. Very well written, worth a read. Lots of interesting articles.

I hope he's wrong, though.

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

In commercial aviation for 35 yrs. This will be the 4th time the industry cratered after the economy tanked......

GhostRider6
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GhostRider6 »

He has some points that are valid.

I’ve gone from flying to being out of aviation, working seasonally or back on the ramp during these downturns. They’re no fun.. I’ve gone backwards because supply exceeds demands during these times.

I also agree that aviation follows the economic trends.

On the flip side, there is also a major hiring cycle occurring due to retirements. ( he does not account for that in the article) it’s also an American article.

He also talks about the media inciting hysteria- I agree. However, his article is riddled with dramatic, activating language and apocalyptic predictions. - he is doing the exact thing he is upset about. He is feeding the hysteria himself.

There are some shades of grey in this world..

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I agree with GhostRider 100%. I have never actually caught a wave, but I applaud those that have. I know this: worry is a cause of early death.

ehv8oar
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ehv8oar »

Hmmm I predict that in about 1 month the media will have got bored and moved onto something else and that'll be the end of it.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

Why does everyone in Aviation always take a moment to shit on younger people? Go to Costco it's not people in their 20's panic buying things.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

vermont wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:43 am
Why does everyone in Aviation always take a moment to shit on younger people? Go to Costco it's not people in their 20's panic buying things.
Whahaha. Good point.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

vermont wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:43 amWhy does everyone in Aviation always take a moment to shit on younger people? Go to Costco it's not people in their 20's panic buying things.
It's not a particularly "aviation" thing, though. It's been going on forever. Older generations are always complaining about their children's generations (or the young in general).

I cannot recall where I saw it, but there's a quote out there from Roman times in which (someone) is lamenting the state of the youth at the time.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Going to hell in a handbasket is the point of view of every oldster. And it is the fault of the young. Has to be somebody, and oldsters never take the blame for anything. I had nothing to do with it!

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

7ECA wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:11 am
vermont wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:43 amWhy does everyone in Aviation always take a moment to shit on younger people? Go to Costco it's not people in their 20's panic buying things.
It's not a particularly "aviation" thing, though. It's been going on forever. Older generations are always complaining about their children's generations (or the young in general).

I cannot recall where I saw it, but there's a quote out there from Roman times in which (someone) is lamenting the state of the youth at the time.
I think someone got mad they were learning to read and saying that wasn't productive.

My favourite modern example is the whole participation award. Guess who started giving them out? It's not the kids who were 8 years old and now in their 20's that demanded those awards get handed out :lol:

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

7ECA wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:11 am I cannot recall where I saw it, but there's a quote out there from Roman times in which (someone) is lamenting the state of the youth at the time.
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

- Socrates (469–399 B.C)

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

vermont wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:43 am
Well, I'm trying not to. But today I ran out of toilet paper, so went out to get some. It's sold out everywhere. The only store in town selling it, a Shoppers' Drug Mart, was charging $14.99 for 12 double rolls.

And guess what? I'm not risking running out of it again in a week, and not being able to find any. It's not something you can run out of, unless you're OK with wiping your ass with bath towels or dish rags, or cleaning out your arsehole with your hand. And those would all be... unpleasant, especially for those of us with 'rhoids. So I bought 3, and I pride myself on not panic buying.

I really felt I had no other choice. I imagine I'm not the only one. I lived through 9/11, SARS, multiple ice storms, massive floods, hell, even a freaking tornado, and I've never panic bought (to be fair, never a hurricane... I hear that's a lot worse).

This guy is grossly arrogant if he thinks he is immune to "panic buying". Let's see what he would do with type 1 diabetes, worried that supplies may run short. My brother is panic buying insulin, and I don't fault him for it. Without it, he will die. This guy seriously needs to check his privilege and arrogance and imagine himself in someone else's shoes. When I was young it was a stiff upper lip and the urge to "keep calm and carry on" that got us through those crises. Now, it's selfies and instagram posts that gets people through the panic and stress of it all, and he's an arrogant, judgemental f*ckwad for judging people for it.

(all in my ever-so-humble opinion, of course :smt040 )

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:23 pm
7ECA wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:11 am I cannot recall where I saw it, but there's a quote out there from Roman times in which (someone) is lamenting the state of the youth at the time.
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

- Socrates (469–399 B.C)
spot on

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Have any grown-ups in any generation ever not said that about children?

ou=ɹǝʍsuɐ

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”