Reserve Schedule

Discuss topics relating to Porter Airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

vxvy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Reserve Schedule

Post by vxvy »

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can provide some info on the Reserve schedule at Porter.

- Hoping to find out how long are new hires being held on reserve? (I read an older post that it was one month but also heard that it’s up to 8 months now)

- How much flexibility do you have with your schedule on reserve? Besides bidding your days off, can you bid on what pairings you want or want to avoid?

- If you wanted to avoid long pairings, could you schedule a day off every 2 days throughout the month? Would crew sked approve that?
---------- ADS -----------

172ReliefPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Reserve Schedule

Post by 172ReliefPilot »

vxvy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:36 am Hi, I was wondering if anyone can provide some info on the Reserve schedule at Porter.

- Hoping to find out how long are new hires being held on reserve? (I read an older post that it was one month but also heard that it’s up to 8 months now)

- How much flexibility do you have with your schedule on reserve? Besides bidding your days off, can you bid on what pairings you want or want to avoid?

- If you wanted to avoid long pairings, could you schedule a day off every 2 days throughout the month? Would crew sked approve that?
I think reserve has been quite long the last year because the last gs for new hires was May 2019...no one to bump the seniority list since. There plans for 2 gs in the spring and possibly more in the fall to keep things moving along. just my 2 cents

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

vxvy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:36 am Hi, I was wondering if anyone can provide some info on the Reserve schedule at Porter.

This totally depends on how hiring progresses. There were a couple of classes in early 2018 at the head of the line of a massive hiring stretch and they were hardly on reserve at all. The Sept 2018 class was on reserve for 9 months or so, as they were near the end of the pack. Depends on how the industry hiring goes (it was much slower than projected last year mainly (?) due to the 737 Max issues).
vxvy wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:36 am - How much flexibility do you have with your schedule on reserve? Besides bidding your days off, can you bid on what pairings you want or want to avoid?

You can bid for Reserve A (4am-4pm) or B (9-9.) You can bid days off (you get 12 of those) and you can also give the system an idea of how many days in a row you want to be on reserve. It all depends on where you are in seniority (if you're the last pilot bidding a reserve schedule you might only get one or two of your requested days, depending on what they are) and on the pre-determined number of reserves required that day.

When you're junior, you usually have no choice on the pairings you want to avoid when you're on call - however if you have several pilots below you on reserve, you can fill out a form requesting that they don't call you for 4 day pairings, only 1-2 day pairings, for example. However, if there's no one left to pass the pairing to (or they need you to fly to keep you current, or the next person on the list is only available for 1 day, etc.) you must work it. Additionally, once the schedules are awarded, there's a reserve open flying bid, and pilots on reserve can bid for leftover pairings on that. All that stuff depends on your seniority, which of course is randomly generated and impossible to predict. It's also possible to trade your reserve days for another pilot's pairing.

Hope that helps.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

delete

Last edited by ayseven on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
fliter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by fliter »

ayseven wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:13 am Very helpful info there. Much more detailed than I even thought possible! Forgive my ignorance, but are the schedules done month by month? And thanks for helping me get my application in. I remain cautiously hopeful.
Yes, you have between the 1st and the 7th of every month to put in your bid for the following month. The schedules tend to come out somewhere between the 16th and the 23rd of the month for the following month.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

delete

vxvy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by vxvy »

any difference in overnights vs single days between reserve A and B? Would one reserve schedule have more than another or basically the same?

ShamrockPilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ShamrockPilot »

At least 12 months on reserve is likely minus line indoc and the mixed block until your first recurrent sim. Overnights depend on if you’re on reserve multiple days in a row and I doubt there’s a difference between A and B though A get called more I’ve heard. B will get all the split book offs.

Return to “Porter Airlines”