Favourite Type

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Favourite Type

Post by '97 Tercel »

I really enjoyed flying an Islander
---------- ADS -----------

Onesie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Onesie »

😅vermont always chiming in with his vast experience. Save the answers for the real aviators son

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Well... If I'm paying the bills, a Cessna Bird Dog. If I'm not paying the bills, Twin Otter

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

co-joe wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:53 pm
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:33 am ...
I like my jets, but nothing will beat the flying in the Beechcraft 1900D for me. That aircraft epitomized handling, balanced power, and performance in and out. Such a great aircraft.
I was caught off guard how much fun the 19hundie was. "Just a big ugly King Air" were my exact words, then I got my hands on one. When you have to power back in cruise so as not to overspeed you understand just how much jam she has.

I also really loved the C150. Again after teaching on 172's I was bummed to have to go downwards to the 150, but I was immediately impressed by how much fun it was to fly. Sure your ribs touch the students ribs and you'd have to put your arm around them just to fit, but great sportscar like handling, and what fun to spin! I used to climb it to 10 000' and spin it all the way back down, and then do it again.
Some people had the displeasure of running it from pavement to pavement, gate to gate. I was lucky enough to see what it could do out of gravel strips and off the side of mountains.

Glad you enjoyed it as much as I did!

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

You guys in love with the 1900 as the pinnacle of aviation: one of us needs to get out and fly more planes and I’m not even sure which one at this point.

hst
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hst »

After 30 years with hands on TP’s, biz jets, Airbuses and Boeings I’d have to hands down say B777. Powerful but docile.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

lownslow wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:30 am You guys in love with the 1900 as the pinnacle of aviation: one of us needs to get out and fly more planes and I’m not even sure which one at this point.
:goodman:

What'cha got for a suggestion there low, what should we fly? I think as much as the 1900 was amazing, it wasn't just the airplane, it was the type of flying and the team I was flying with that made it a lot of fun. When you start to push the machine off strip (please read off pavement), that's when it really shines.

Last edited by schnitzel2k3 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
propfeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by propfeather »

Twotter

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:00 am When you start to push the machine off strip, that's when it really shines.
Perimeter loves doing that with metros.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

digits_ wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:05 am
schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:00 am When you start to push the machine off strip, that's when it really shines.
Perimeter loves doing that with metros.
Metro is a different bird altogether lol.

Jet Jockey
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jet Jockey »

Multi engine piston = Ted Smith Aerostar

Multi engine turboprop = DHC-7

Jet = by far the Global Express.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:00 am
lownslow wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:30 am You guys in love with the 1900 as the pinnacle of aviation: one of us needs to get out and fly more planes and I’m not even sure which one at this point.
:goodman:

What'cha got for a suggestion there low, what should we fly? I think as much as the 1900 was amazing, it wasn't just the airplane, it was the type of flying and the team I was flying with that made it a lot of fun. When you start to push the machine off strip, that's when it really shines.
He would probably suggest.... anything that uses wing warping, or has an open cockpit. Maybe something with a DH without the C. Pietenpol?

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

My favourite is definitely the DHC8-400.

I am going to get a lot of flak for this, but I enjoy that the airplane is way overpowered. It's heavy on the controls, but it's pretty fun to fly.

Even with the stupidities of it's design, it's still a remarkable airplane. Really keeps you on your toes when doing flap 15 landings.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Cessna 172.

Can’t beat that!

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

hst wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:26 am After 30 years with hands on TP’s, biz jets, Airbuses and Boeings I’d have to hands down say B777. Powerful but docile.
Similar background. Loved the Lears, have enjoyed every step of the career, pistons, TP... But can't agree with you enough about the B777, particularly the -300ER with the GE engines.

Like a faithful friend. Never, ever let me down even in the most extreme wx and perf conditions. Instant massive power while skirting monsoons, typhoons, sandstorms, convective, windshear. Fond memories of launching at max weights in extreme heat with T/O bump and APU-to-pack and squeezing every bit of 230,000lb of thrust, without so much as a hiccup. Landing 14 hours later at max landing, stable and solid as a rock.

Absolutely perfected the design. Hope they don't wreck it with the 777X but the modern Boeing company probably will.

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
Skyhunter
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Skyhunter »

In order

Hornet
(This is the only one I will put why, I prefer to fly single pilot, I like to shoot things, I like adrenaline rushes, I personally think guns, bombs and bullets are cool (yep not everyone does), I like speed, I like fighting, and it was the only plane I could go fly and fill my likes, and it did it well).

F-5
Tutor
L-19 Birddog
Supercub
C-172 on floats (the only floatplane I have flown... and really enjoyed the little bit of float flying I did).
2-33 glider (I miss gliding and the fun of times, young kid, not much responsibility, just liked to fly)
Dornier 228 (A fun airplane but the seat was very uncomfortable).
The various single pistons of my youth
Airbus 320 family
Embreaer 190
ATR 42/72
Hawk (This should be higher on my list performance wise but the Brits build a shitty jet, and terrible engine in it).

Currently flying the Airbus, it is a great job,and combination of pay/plane/lifestyle is why I am doing it, and if you have gots to fly a narrow body airliner, it would be my pick. That said if someone would let me work 15 days a month, home 70% of my nights, and pay me 250k a year plus great benefits, I would take some of the other options on the list first. The body is to old and beat up for some of on the top of the list now, but others I might.... there just isn't enough pay/benefits in them.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

What'cha got for a suggestion there low, what should we fly?
Good question, I just figure diversity is a good thing. I apparently need to add 1900 to my own logbook.

I don’t know what my current fave is, but with a little extrapolation I figure a Pitts S-1 would check all my boxes.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

lownslow wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:36 pm
What'cha got for a suggestion there low, what should we fly?
Good question, I just figure diversity is a good thing. I apparently need to add 1900 to my own logbook.

I don’t know what my current fave is, but with a little extrapolation I figure a Pitts S-1 would check all my boxes.
I wish I could fit into an S-1. Always wanted to do aerobatics, but never had the stomach for them, lol. Another life.

I think I might just go Kitfox and have some cheap hooligan fun.

C-FDPB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by C-FDPB »

Anything de Havilland built for the bush. Controls are so well balanced and the performance for what they do is in a lot of areas unmatched (just maybe not the speed). Still the workhorses 50,60,70 years on. Always had a soft spot for the Norseman as well. You really fly that machine.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

schnitzel2k3 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:50 pm I wish I could fit into an S-1
If I ever cram myself into one I expect it will be through pure force of will and determination only.

Return to “General Comments”