What to expect as a new hire

Discuss topics related to Sunwing.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: What to expect as a new hire

Post by ant_321 »

FOD_Vacuum wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:31 am Does anyone know what their most current pay scale is for FOs? Is the collective agreement 3 still the latest one?Also, when is the next GS scheduled for? Got the email saying I was successful in the interview. Any idea about more probable base (YYZ or YUL) for upcoming class? Upgrade times? Super excited to get started at the big orange.🏝
CBA 3 is the current contract (the pay scales are in there). FO’s now start at $56.94 per hour and that goes to $58.08 as of December 1. I’m not sure when the GS are scheduled but there is going to be quite a bit of hiring as we gear up for the new duty regs. I’m not sure where most of the hiring will be done for but most people seem to end up at the base they want.
---------- ADS -----------

Upsxx
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Upsxx »

Do you have any info on how the new duties will affect the ops? Less turns, more layover I guess? When you have 24h on a layover, how is that counted on the pay and/or hours of service ?

Thanks for the infos!

Afterburn613
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Afterburn613 »

What is the new hire process after an offer has been extended at Sunwing?

Also, what is training like? Is it all classroom then sim? Or is it some classroom and some computer based training and then procedures trainer and sim? Are there days off during training to travel home, study, take a break?

Thank you!

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Afterburn613 wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:28 pm Also, what is training like? Is it all classroom then sim? Or is it some classroom and some computer based training and then procedures trainer and sim? Are there days off during training to travel home, study, take a break?
The first two weeks are classroom.. lots of paperwork and administrative stuff, meeting different people, catching up on old memos, and starting to get into some operational stuff. Classroom training is Monday-Friday with weekends off.

The aircraft-specific training starts with the Instrument Procedures Trainer (~10 sessions) and then SIM (~8-10 sessions), followed up by PPC and LOFT events. I can't remember the exact number of training events for the IPT and SIM, but it's close to what I wrote above.

This training is usually 2-3 days in a row, then a few days off, 2-3 days in a row, a few days off, etc. If training is conducted over Christmas break, expect about 5-6 days off around Christmas and New Years.

Training is intense, with lots of time spent out of the SIM working on the paper cockpit mock-up and with your SIM partner doing flows, procedures and drills. I've been at 3 different 705 operators, and this was by far the most intensive training I've done.

From day 1 to the end of SIM, it's about 2.5 months of training.

Afterburn613
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Afterburn613 »

Great info! Thank you very much!

Aya
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aya »

Afterburn613 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:29 am Great info! Thank you very much!
Training is 1.5 months.
No perdiems
Training is not that hard if you do some studying .

:smt040
DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Aya wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:00 am Training is 1.5 months.
No perdiems
I believe this is wrong. My training was 2.5 months exactly from start to finish (although mine took place over Christmas which added an extra week). I believe perdiems are paid out if you are based in YUL. If you are based in YYZ, it is assumed that you are "at home" and will therefore not get perdiems. (I might be wrong on that and YYZ based crew may get perdiems too). Each SIM team gets a rental car to share for the duration of training, even if you live in YYZ. All newhires are given hotel rooms as well if requested. Take advantage of that, even if you live in YYZ! It provides you a quiet place to study with your partner away from distractions at home. All pilots are paid full salary from day 1 of training... when I went through training a few years ago, we only got perdiems during the SIM training period.

And training IS intense. My SIM partner and I didn't have any troubles through training, but we studied, studied, studied. Some other teams didn't work as hard, and it showed in their performance. 2 out of the 10 in our initial class didn't make it through. One didn't make it through IPT and the other didn't make it through Line Indoc.

Aya
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Aya »

DHC-1 Jockey wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:15 am
Aya wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:00 am Training is 1.5 months.
No perdiems
I believe this is wrong. My training was 2.5 months exactly from start to finish (although mine took place over Christmas which added an extra week). I believe perdiems are paid out if you are based in YUL. If you are based in YYZ, it is assumed that you are "at home" and will therefore not get perdiems. (I might be wrong on that and YYZ based crew may get perdiems too). Each SIM team gets a rental car to share for the duration of training, even if you live in YYZ. All newhires are given hotel rooms as well if requested. Take advantage of that, even if you live in YYZ! It provides you a quiet place to study with your partner away from distractions at home. All pilots are paid full salary from day 1 of training... when I went through training a few years ago, we only got perdiems during the SIM training period.

And training IS intense. My SIM partner and I didn't have any troubles through training, but we studied, studied, studied. Some other teams didn't work as hard, and it showed in their performance. 2 out of the 10 in our initial class didn't make it through. One didn't make it through IPT and the other didn't make it through Line Indoc.

I just finished training few months ago and there is no more perdiems even if ur yul based.
Training was 7 weeks with 5 days off in the middle.
If you have 705 ops(Especially jet time) you shouldnt have any issues.

Cheers

:smt040
BigBird
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BigBird »

Hey folks,

Any ideas how many overtime hours a month you can do on average during the winter?

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

BigBird wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:49 pm Hey folks,

Any ideas how many overtime hours a month you can do on average during the winter?
Some people do several overtime days per month, some choose to do none at all. It all depends on seniority (senior people get called first) and desire to work extra to make extra money.

Return to “Sunwing”