Discuss topics relating to airlines.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Grab a seat. The music is stopping

Post by TSAM »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Sunwing now operating flights as usual till mar23 - then nothing.
The only saving grace for them is that summer is the slow season anyway. May help the sting a little.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

boeingboy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:29 pm Sunwing now operating flights as usual till mar23
The cancellation of southbound flights (with passengers) starts tomorrow. The way the internal memo was worded about schedule cancellations was a bit confusing, but reading this article, it now makes sense.

https://ca.travelpulse.com/news/impacti ... sible.html

"Sunwing is cancelling all southbound flights from March 17th until April 9th, 2020 and focusing on repatriating customers in destination."

Empty flights will still be going south, but they'll come home full.

Edit: All pilots and F/A's just received their layoff notices. Last day of operations is March 23rd.

flashheart
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flashheart »

pelmet wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:27 am
CaptainHaddock wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:20 am
pelmet wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:16 pm

Just booked a flight on Swoop from one side of the country to the other in May.....Under 100 dollars return, including tax. Never even heard of under 100 dollars for a 1 way ticket.
A fool and his money is easily parted. So you could have bought a ticket on AC or WestJet at a great discount right now to I imagine, probably not $100. But you probably won’t even get to take the Swoop flight, where as you would with the other two. Do you know why tickets that cheap don’t exist-because it’s unsustainable.
Fool maybe...but it is only 100 bucks so if I don't get it back, I'll survive. If they cancel...or I cancel, theoretically I should get the money back. Just checked WJ(from a nearby bigger airport) and AC at $585 return which is the same price I have been paying for the same route purchased a couple of months ahead(no discount). And, I checked AC for a flight today on a short haul less than 1 hour flight today...$445 dollars.

So let the smart guys fly at the same old high price last minute tickets. This fool is going to take a chance. If the Swoop flight is gone, the WJ flight may be gone as well.

P.S. Noticed some $29 one-way transcan fares on Swoop as well.
What's the cost on getting the Coronavirus

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

6E9B312A-65A5-4F7F-8388-0E9E938A1143_1_201_a.jpeg
6E9B312A-65A5-4F7F-8388-0E9E938A1143_1_201_a.jpeg (218.36 KiB) Viewed 2816 times
Sent to me by an acquaintance at Sunwing. Savage doesn't even begin to describe it.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

flashheart wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:38 pm
pelmet wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:27 am
CaptainHaddock wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:20 am

A fool and his money is easily parted. So you could have bought a ticket on AC or WestJet at a great discount right now to I imagine, probably not $100. But you probably won’t even get to take the Swoop flight, where as you would with the other two. Do you know why tickets that cheap don’t exist-because it’s unsustainable.
Fool maybe...but it is only 100 bucks so if I don't get it back, I'll survive. If they cancel...or I cancel, theoretically I should get the money back. Just checked WJ(from a nearby bigger airport) and AC at $585 return which is the same price I have been paying for the same route purchased a couple of months ahead(no discount). And, I checked AC for a flight today on a short haul less than 1 hour flight today...$445 dollars.

So let the smart guys fly at the same old high price last minute tickets. This fool is going to take a chance. If the Swoop flight is gone, the WJ flight may be gone as well.

P.S. Noticed some $29 one-way transcan fares on Swoop as well.
What's the cost on getting the Coronavirus
Probably the same no matter what airline you get it on...or bus...or....restaurant....etc.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Savage doesn't even begin to describe it.
Seriously????
..And just what are they supposed to do. Pay everyone to do nothing and let the company die?

Sunwing has no domestic service. They only exist to service they vacation properties they own. Summer time is slow season and they usually have only 8 or 9 planes on a very reduced schedule all summer. With no-one traveling, cancellations up the ying yang, and booking down 50% or more, plus just about every country closing their boarders - It was the smartest thing to do. Shut down the airline to a very minimal operation to save cash and wait out the storm.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

And don't they send a ton of pilots to Europe in the summer?

They were going to be really fat on pilots very quickly. I can understand why they did what they did.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

boeingboy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:53 pm
Savage doesn't even begin to describe it.
Seriously????
..And just what are they supposed to do. Pay everyone to do nothing and let the company die?
I said it was savage, not wrong.

Tell me honestly that even 1 month ago anyone would have envisioned the events of the past 10 days. Laying off an entire company of pilots (and other employees) all at once has never occurred in this industry outside of a company shutdown post 9/11.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

What music are you talking about?

The "super stable" airline industry?

Time to put away your document booklet and get a real job.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

From valued employees to kicking stones down the road, once this all blows over, wonder how people will feel about airline careers?

Gravity always wins
bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

Kosiw wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:18 am From valued employees to kicking stones down the road, once this all blows over, wonder how people will feel about airline careers?
What industry do you suggest they join? Nothing is stable right now other than health care professional.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

Kosiw wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:18 am From valued employees to kicking stones down the road, once this all blows over, wonder how people will feel about airline careers?
What industry do you suggest they join? Nothing is stable right now. (Except maybe healthcare professional. )

Red1
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Red1 »

grocery clerk..

The force will be with you, always
pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

Food delivery will be popular for the next few weeks :smt040

tsgas
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgas »

That's why you shouldn't put all of your eggs in one basket. Other than government , nobody can guarantee you a job for life.

I WAS Birddog
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by I WAS Birddog »

Drake is releasing a new album.

First single; "Started from the top now we're here...started with a cough now my whole 'crew' here..."

Self entitled millennial backlash in 3...2...1....

Before you plot your revenge on someone, make sure to dig two graveyard plots.
http://twitter.com/@iwasbirddog
Goodman5
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Goodman5 »

Ok Boomer

Trematode
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Trematode »

FL410AV8R wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:18 pm
Tell me honestly that even 1 month ago anyone would have envisioned the events of the past 10 days. Laying off an entire company of pilots (and other employees) all at once has never occurred in this industry outside of a company shutdown post 9/11.

Just sayin'...

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Laying off all pilots and other employees has never happened? Where have you been hiding all your life? It has happened many times. Get used to it.

Return to “General Airline Industry Comments”